HomeKit and home automation

Thanks mate, really appreciate you getting back to on this, I think this tips it for me, tossing up with Chamberlin MY Q, but have no confidence to be honest.
Thanks again.

Hit the button and ordered tonight, looking, forward to receiving this.

Let me know if you need help with installation.

1 Like

Well, my August lock arrived a couple of days ago. Sill me decided the latest was the go… ecept its 45% smaller than the older versions. looks like I will have to get another new lock for the front door :frowning:

I can’t believe how quick this was delivered, got it today.
Started to install, but the garage door motor terminals are seized up, so might have to drill them out or solder?
Not doing it tonight, so should be up and running tomorrow.

I think I need help from other August lock users…

Installed lock OK, its exactly the right size for my lock and is able to be locked an unlocked manually. However as soon as it was installed, and on the network, it asked to get the latest firmware update: done. and now, no bluetooth or wifi. So its essentially useless and no better than having the original lock.

the support site is useless.

Anyone got suggestions?

That’s weird.

Check batteries.

Try to factory reset the lock.

See here: How to Reset Your Lock to its Factory Settings

Great news! Weird regarding the connectors.

Also, I managed to connect my Paradox alarm directly to HomeKit using:

Homebridge via Hoobs
Paradox Alarm Interface
Mosquitto
Mqttthing

Works a treat!

I tried reset first before posting. couldnt. needs BT. Anyway for whatever reason (probably because I did post (a bit like when you cant find something and ask someone else in the house if they have seen it, and then immeidately finding it buried underneath a pile of stuff)… anyhoo its working now, except that because it got connected to Homekit before the cockup, it now thinks its connected to another Homekit and its not. Its not even listed in my homekit, so I can’t remove it.

So now I need to figure a solution to that. So, currently I can manually lock and unlock and I can use my phone and watch to do it, but Siri and homekit are off the menu until I work it out.

[Edit] All sorted. Just needed to reset for Homekit :slight_smile: I wish I could use Doorsense but thats out of the question at the moment, I need more tools. It doesnt matter, the door is pretty shitty anyway and needs replacing so I’ll get it all sorted at that time. In the meantime, success!!

Well done.

Your experience echos my experience with home automation. It does not “just work”. Too often, setup goes off on a tangent. The second or third attempt at setup, based on technical knowledge, confidence and perseverance, finally delivers success. Unfortunately, 95% of people do not have that knowledge, confidence and perseverance. They would have just put the lock in a drawer, or returned it.

LOL! I came very close :slight_smile:

Gotta say… the lock is turning more smoothly than it was with just the turning knob in back of the deadbolt. So even happier :slight_smile:

I’m interested in doing this. I set up HomeAssistant though (not Hoobs) and whilst there’s a Paradox plugin I can’t figure out how to set up Mosquito and MQTT - it asks me to set up users and I just can’t find a way to do so. Do you have any recommendations?

Mosquitto install is straightforward. It should be a single command in the terminal of your raspberry pi device running homebridge or hoobs and it’s done.

sudo apt-get install mosquitto

That will get the mqtt broker running.

Username and password can be blank. The location can be localhost. Port 1883.

Then you’ll need an mqtt plug-in to translate between the PAI software running on the same server and Homebridge/HomeKit. I use mqtthing as it’s been tested with PAI as per their GitHub wiki.

Getting PAI running on your pi device does need some work. You need to get the right modules installed and also the right server user permissions. Took me a few goes. It’s a lot of trial and error.

The PAI GitHub wiki is gold. There is a Home Assistant section. The default pai.conf config file has a Home Assistant section you can just comment in, and you comment out the other bits not needed.

Run PAI using pai-service first so the process is running in terminal and you can watch the logs show as you load so you can see if there are errors, and also the setup of your paradox system in terms of name of partition etc as you’ll need that for your pai.conf file.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

@Erwin, I’m up and running, still fine tuning setup, I purchased Eufy Cam 2 as well to fit into my surveillance setup, still trying to get that setup with iCloud and photos, I can see how all these devices will work together with HomeKit, so really looking forward to playing around with this setup.

As a side note for anyone checking in on this thread, I strongly recommend taking pics of the QR codes from any devices you purchase, before installing it and keeping the pic in a folder called QR codes or the like, it will save climbing up ladders or removing devices from walls, etc. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Erwin Did you have any issues using your Apple Watch with the August lock? I am finding that the phone app is reliable but unlocking/locking via watch is a bit hit and miss. (More miss than hit, even when right in front of the door)

I use the phone. It’s direct Bluetooth when you’re close. To be honest I don’t use my Apple Watch for any of the home devices. Or Siri for that matter. Just the home app on the phone.

Yeah I don’t use Siri at all, and the phone works from the car in the driveway. I guess I’ll be doing that. Now I just need a door closer because my door swings just a tiny bit once unlocked so relocking with the app is not possible, I have to do it manually. And when leaving the house I have to hold the door in the closed position for locking to take place. Bit of a pain, really.

As an aside, on CarPlay I notice that the our front gate icon shows up when we drive up to the house - interesting and smart of Apple - it also works too.

1 Like

I’ve decided I need to get the door working with my watch… considering the main reason I bought it was exactly that functionality, otherwise nearly any digital lock would have been fine. I wonder if its to do with being unable to install DoorSense… The frame around my door is some fancy moulded shit and door sense can’t be fixed to it… I just didnt fancy having to replace the whole thing, or dig a hole in it so it would fit. It surely should not make a difference, though! I thought door sense was for remote functions only… and I just do not need those.

[edit] Sorted!! Reinstall fixed it. Still no door sense tho.

Some 10 days later, I’ve realised that although Homekit recognises the lock and can tell me when its locked or unlocked, it cannot actually lock or unlock the door itself. Weird. I’m not even trying to use it now I discovered geofencing in the August app.