Laptop restarts after shutdown

Since installing Kaspersky Internet Security two days ago my MacBook Pro has restarted after shut down. I am able to get it to shut down and stay shut down but it’s a time-consuming process waiting for the start up to finish so I can shut down gain.

The report said kernel panic, the laptop not me, I just howled.

Immediately after installing Kaspersky I did a backup to an external Drive and was unable to Eject the Seagate Drive icon from the desktop without using Force Quit. That was the first time that has happened.

That, and the two restarts after shutdown, causes me to wonder if its the new security application?

I’ve sent a request to Kaspersky for assistance but don’t know how promptly they reply.

Your opinions and possible solutions appreciated. Thank you.

MacBook age/model? macOS version?
Did something happen to prompt you to recently install Kaspersky Internet Security?

Searched https://community.kaspersky.com

Did you do a general cleanup of your computer as you thought you might, in the other thread? I would have done that before installing Kaspersky. You already had Malwarebytes on board I believe, maybe theres a conflict there. If you go wth Clean my Mac, do NOT let it automatically do everything. It will remove things you want to keep. You need to keep an eye on what its doing. Let it clean your system files, you probably have a shedload of cruft there, everyone does, eventually. Get the free App Cleaner for uninstalling applications. AppCleaner.

I’d start by removing Kaspersky and Malwarebytes and start over

Hi kerr and kyte, thanks for your responses.

I installed the security software after I downloaded a rogue ‘FlashPlayer’ app whilst not paying attention.

1. First, Kaspersky got back to me promptly, suggesting I Quit the KasperskyApp and see if the problem went away. I won’t know that until I shut down which I don’t want to do until I’ve finished something I’m working on, in case it won’t revive.
    2.Before quitting the App there was a problem with characters typed not appearing immediately but that also appeared briefly before installing it. Now that’s behaving normally. It wasn’t specific to particular keys.

2. I did do a manual, long drawn out general cleanup of anything dodgy, such as adware, Java, Flashplayer and some no-longer needed apps. I intend to remove Malwarebytes. It found and quarantined one adware tracker, Adware.OperatorMac that I hadn’t found. It’s now deleted.

3. I avoided CleanMyMac as it seemed it might be beyond my limited computer skills. Thanks for the link to the other free app uninstaller/cleaner.

I’ll check the Kaspersky forums, too, thanks.

1. I don’t think I have a storage problem:

40%20am

MacBook pro laptop mid 2012, 13" OS 10.12.6. Has never had a new HD or anything else other than a new screen when new because a line of pixels was missing. Anything else that’s been wrong has probably been my fault as I’ve been able to solve it with help from the forum and on-line searches.

I’m wondering if a new HD might be a good investment?
Orestes recommended a technician on the south side of Brisbane so I’m thinking of making an appointment. I’m also wondering about the trackpad because the left side is sometimes unresponsive.

Thanks for the help.

Are you backing up with anything? Time Machine, Carbon copy cloner, superduper!? It might pay to do that, or just back up your home folder including documents, photos and stuff you can’t bear to lose, then wipe the existing drive and start clean. Also, you should consider updating the OS to 10.13 or whatever is the latest for your MBP. Do it before you go spending dosh on new stuff and techies when you might not need to. Always employ the KISS principle.

Thanks, Kyte. I back up to an external Seagate backup disk. I drag my feet about updating to a newer version because some program or app becomes obsolete.

I just read about High Sierra and it appears it should run on my mid 2012 MacBook Pro. I’ll read a bit more about it.

It runs happily on my 2010 white Macbook… should be fine on yours. My 2012 Mini also runs Mojave…

Thanks, kyte. I’ll look into it some more. Some comments I’ve seen relate to the lack of support for legacy apps. When I was doing the manual toss of file fragments and accumulated garbage I noticed a few 16 bit apps so will have to go through again and see if I can do without them.
I did use the App cleaner you recommended and it did a quick disposal of everything I fed it except Malwarebytes but that probably is built to resist attempts to destroy it.

I think it would be a good idea to do without them anyway. 16 bit apps? Madness in 2020. Find replacements, they will be out there. I’m surprised they even run.

Haven’t been to the forum for a while so didn’t know about your latest post, kyte. Thanks for the advice. Will check them out and look them up. I wasn’t sure if they were bits and pieces that ran in the background or what.

In the background? Have you just continued to update without ever doing a completely clean install? You need to do that once in a while to get rid of the cruft.

Good idea. No never have done that.I should look into it. I do manually toss stuff from time to time. I’m manually going through and asking Google about all the files I don’t understand or suspect of being useless or unnecessary.

Manual “tossing” still leaves a hell of a lot of junk behind, and I would never trust Google to know whats useless or unnecessary.

Back up your computer and do a clean install. You’ll think its all new once done. It will be faster, and nicer to use.

1 Like

Thanks again, kyte.

I don’t actually ask for Google’s opinion, I ask what the item is then read more to decide if I need it.
Not too sure how to do the Clean Install. If I use the backup disc to replace the stuff that’s been cleaned off won’t it just put all the obsolete files back along with what i want to keep? I can’t find a detailed step-by-step description of how to do a clean install. Most descriptions assume more technical knowledge than I have, which is miniscule.
Perhaps an appointment at Apple where I can do it under supervision might be my best bet? Of course, my LT is no longer supported (mid 2012-13 macBook Pro). Alternatively, I could take it to a technician.

Because you’ve said yourself that you’re not technical, are you aware that a clean install means deleting everything — including all your photos, documents, everything you have in the trash, slapped onto your desktop, or stashed away in folders — absolutely everything on your computer?

And that you can’t get that data back unless you pay a lot of money? So you better have a copy of it on an external hard drive?

Because I need to be 100% sure here.

Because if so, if you have a copy of everything you care about on a separate hard drive, clean installing macOS is like less than a dozen steps. Your problem might be that you don’t have a good enough internet connection to download a full copy of macOS when you do it, IIRC it’s about an 8GB download.

1 Like

They will help, in all likelihood, but it will cost.

Listen to @bennyling on the matter of backup. You need to have a complete and total backup of everything on your hard drive. Get an external drive of the same or larger capacity as the internal. Time Machine should do the job for you, but I would recommend Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!, both of which do decent jobs of “cloning” your drive. Only after you have done that, take it to Apple or a techie.

Thank you bennyling and kyte. Your comments are appreciated.

I have a 4TB Seagate Drive to which I regularly back up, every week at least, and when I’ve added anything important or edited an important document. That’s many times more capacity than the L/T has.

The slow wireless internet connection would preclude downloading a new OS at home. That’s another reason I thought taking it to Apple would be better as I could do it in-store.

As a backup backup I thought of making a backup on a flash drive as well. Would a 500Gb or more handle it, please?

12%20pm

If I understand correctly there doesn’t need to be huge capacity on a duplicate backup disc. Am I understanding this correctly, please, or should I be looking somewhere else for total amount of disc capacity used/required? I’d like to do this duplicate backup anyway for peace of mind.
11%20pm

It’s overdue for backup now but because I wanted to find out if the non-closable Adobe Reader floating window is indicative of malware on the laptop, which I didn’t want to save to a backup disc. That’s the subject of another post yesterday.

Thanks again for the input.

By the way, since removing Kaspersky the restart-on-shutdown problem has gone. I’ve also removed a lot of other obsolete stuff.

I think, even though the initial problem no longer exists, you really need to take it (and maybe your backup drive as well) to Apple, and certainly have them help you. Avoiding it all at this stage might mean that something worse will happen further down the line.

Yep. I agree, kyte, but as I haven’t been brave enough to face the pre-Christmas zoo will make that a priority in the new year.