Migrating from MacPro to Mac mini

Thanks, Jim!!

My Mac Pro is a six core 3.33 with 32GB RAM & a Nvidia GTX 980 4GB graphics card. It’s still only running Yosemite at the moment. If I do sell it, will probably sell the video card separately.

Glad to see it looks like you’re getting all your stuff sorted out.

1 Like

Just ran Geek Bench on my Mac Pro & M1 Mac mini.

MacPro 2010 (5,1) 3.33Ghz
Single-Core 666 — Multi-Core 3462

Mac mini M1 Late 2020 (9,1) 3.2Ghz
Single-Core 1714 — Multi-Core 7435

Having said that, the graphics card in the Mac Pro is about 22x faster than the stock card! And the graphics in the Mac mini is about double the performance of the Nvidia card…

The Mac mini is well worth the $1200 I paid for it!

1 Like

UPDATE

I’m having power issues on my USB chain.

The Mac Mini 2012 has 4x USB 3 ports.

1 - Icy Box with 4 HDDs
2 - ACD hub - Apple Extended Keyboard & recharge cable for powerbanks
3 - ACD hub - Apple Watch & Energizer Wireless Pad for iPhone 11
4 - Spare

I recently noticed that the devices plugged into the ADC in port 3 were not working properly. Sporadic if not just dead.

I moved the Watch cable to my Keyboard, and the wireless pad to an external charger, and both seem to be working ok.

I’ve just re-connected them to the ADC… and they seem to be working ok again…

I’m wondering if I was drawing too much power for the Mac Mini to handle… whereas the Mac Pro presumably would have had a lot more power available? I am pretty sure I was charging a powerbank at the time - so just hooked one up to see if that makes a difference…

Alternatively - I guess the ADC could be having issues… hoping not, as I know new power supplies for ADCs can cost as much as a new ADC… and I’m jobless right now so - good god - may be back to 1 monitor if it goes bad! (Ahh - can get the 17" Studio Display hooked up maybe…)

Have you come to any conclusions?

I had to unplug the ACD usb plug from the mini again as it was not powering the wireless charging pad… working again now… but - that was not the ACD that had the powerbank attached…

So, not sure!