Monday Morning News

[caption id=“attachment_1650” align=“alignright” width=“300”]170512_G2 170512_G2[/caption]As first reported by Toby in the forums, Apple Pay badges have appeared in some Apple Maps listings for select Woolworths and Coles locations in Australia. It probably doesn’t mean anything, given that many, many, Australian retailers already support contactless payments, but it gives me hope that we’ll see Apple Pay before the end of the year. MacRumors says Apple Pay badges have been spotted in Apple Maps listings in other countries, and once again, I’m curious to know why Apple Pay was launched in the US before other countries with better support for contactless payments.

A new class-action lawsuit against Apple alleges Wi-Fi Assist has burned through over $5 million in mobile data. The lawsuit says Apple failed to notify users its Wi-Fi Assist feature would use mobile data in the event of poor connectivity over Wi-Fi, turning on the feature by default with the update to iOS 9, with Apple also accused of downplaying the possible charges brought about the use of the Wi-Fi Assist feature.

Re/code writes Apple has hired Nvidia’s director of deep learning Jonathan Cohen. Nvidia has previously sold their graphics cards to carmakers, who then use Nvidia’s AI to train their autonomous vehicles, so you can kind of see where this is going. As for Cohen, he’s previously discussed how Nvidia’s tech is used in self-driving cars at CES.

Fraser Speirs got some hands-on time with the iPad Pro, and then held an impromptu Q&A session on Twitter about the device. The larger screen of the iPad Pro makes it suited to serious productivity in ways that the iPad Air isn’t, with Speirs telling anyone who works with text-editors and other productivity suites to check out the device. Speirs also said the iPad Pro might not be a better content consumption device, compared to other iPads.

Apple’s latest App Store data says iOS 9 is installed on over 60% of active devices.

With the launch of the new Apple TV later this week, iMore has an Apple TV buyers guide that runs through a few basics of the device, even though there’s still no official word from Apple on what we’ll be using the on-board storage for. Apps and games will use up the storage, but what about content we stream from the iTunes Store?

I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty excited about the possibilities of 3D Touch as an interaction method, beyond the standard Peek and Pop. Examples of possible 3D Touch actions could be one-finger zooming, as well as controlling animations — I’m sure there’s plenty more interactions developers can think up.

Last Friday, 14 years ago, Steve Jobs introduced the original iPod. It was a device which turned things around for the company, to say the least.

Stephen Hackett remembers Apple’s special music events, which were usually held sometime in September or October. IPods have taken a back seat in recent years, given the company’s focus on iOS devices and the Mac, but they’re still an important part of the Apple lineup.

Macworld writes about Apple’s attention to detail, even sweating the small stuff when designing even mundane accessories such as power cables.

TouchArcade has a review of Please Don’t Touch Anything, which is kind of an interesting name for a game that’s primarily focused on puzzle-based gameplay, which means you end up touching everything.

The Verge brings up a good point about Emoji — there’s just too many of the damn things now, and with recent iOS updates only adding even more variants as well as brand-new Emojis, how is anyone supposed to find what they’re looking for?

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2015/10/monday-morning-news261015/