New MacBook Pros

I’m curious to know how they would implement it. Apple themselves have pushed the fact that fingerprint data is stored within a “Secure Enclave” within the system that enables the use of Touch ID. But the Secure Enclave itself is a component of the A-series processor. So either Apple needs to use that processor, or engineer another method of storing that data to enable the use of Touch ID in an Intel based machine.

It does also raise questions for hardware servicing. At the moment no repairer except the Apple Store and AppleCare Repair Centre is able to pair the fingerprint scanner to the processor in an iPhone. As it stands, taking an iPhone into an AASP for service means sending the phone away; the device can’t be repaired in house. Presumably Apple would continue keeping their pairing tools under wraps and so any Mac repair that involves the Touch ID fingerprint scanner, likely the Top Case assembly and Logic Board, would require sending the machine away for service instead of having it repaired locally.

Interesting times.

1 Like

I’m not too worried about Touch ID as we have Apple Watch unlock in Sierra. :slight_smile:

I’ve often thought that!! The Dell mini 9 worked really well back in the day. Not sure on more recent stuff…