New purchases thread!

Thanks. Looking forward to the move although we’ll be waiting a while

Not sure if there is a thread for future purchases so I’ll post here.

MacBook: If Apple ever released a 15" MBA or even a 14" MBA I’d buy it, thus I plan to buy the rumoured 14" MBP this year to replace my 2017 13" MBP. Can salary package it too.

iPhone: I’m due to replace my 2018 iPhone XS so I might buy the rumoured iPhone 13. I’d welcome the 0.3" larger screen, but ideally I’d want under-the-screen Touch ID and no notch, neither of which I think will happen just yet. I leased my last 2-3 iPhones from Telstra so I’m not thrilled they no longer offer that option.

Apple Watch: I have no impending urge to buy an Apple Watch, if organisations and governments embrace Apple Wallet more, then I might change my mind. I’m definitely keen to not have to carry any keys or cards but we’re not quite there yet.

iPad: Still can’t justify to myself that I need an iPad. I’m not price-sensitive but I am utility-sensitive and I still don’t think I’d get adequate use from an iPad.

AirPods: I’ve had my AirPods Pro for 18 months and I love them. I would definitely be interested in buying next-gen AirPods Pro if the design changes eg. no stem. There’s a greater than 0.0% chance I might buy AirPods Max too, as ridiculously expensive as they are. Disappointingly I get annoyed with noises at home, such as neighbours through the walls or pigeons outside. I wish I wasn’t so annoyed by external noises but sadly I am, so noise-cancelling headphones appeal to me, primarily for watching TV.

Near future purchase: M1 iMac, for my father.

My father’s 2008 iMac has 1 dead backlight, randomly loses power, wont screen-share… but he didn’t want to have to learn a new system. “No no, it’s ok! I can still read most of the screen!”

So I spend 6 months trying to convince him to buy a new one… especially when the M1 came out, as some places were doing good deals on the final Intel models… But no - he waits til yesterday to call me and say “I think it’s time I get a new computer”.

Here’s hoping screen-sharing works between it, and my MacPro5,1… cos tech support for a someone who still calls me twice a year to figure out how to attach a document to an email…

1 Like

Will be getting a new iMac for my parents as well once a model with a larger screen is released. His Mac Mini is getting a bit sluggish these days.

My custom IEM’s arrived yesterday. They’re amazing thusfar

1 Like

After connecting a couple of BenQ SW271 4k monitors to the 2018 Mini, the internal graphics started to struggle and made Lightroom very frustrating to use. This has improved the situation dramatically.

1 Like

Now that is a nice bit of kit.

1 Like

Thanks! It seems pretty good so far, though setting it up was a bit weird.

I plugged it in, connected it to the Mini, connected screens to it and then tried to boot, but got nothing on either screen and the Mini just went full speed fans. I forced it off with the power button after a few minutes, rebooted and got one screen but it booted to Network Recovery which was a bit concerning. I just selected my normal startup disk, rebooted again and it’s been fine since then.

One thing that surprised me is that it can only really take 2 monitors directly. It has one HDMI port and 2X ThunderBolt 3s, but you need to use one of the TB3s to connect to the 'puter. It does handle HDCP though, so you can watch Netflix. And the few games I have can all be run on max settings now!

1 Like

Purchased a Peloton bike due to the ongoing limitations imposed by lockdown and the challenges of home balancing home schooling, work and exercise. Been really good so far. Very impressed.

2 Likes

Oooh… Peloton… better than a cross-trainer? Do you have to pay a subscription?

It’s ridiculous how many colleagues of mine have bought an electric scooter. I may consider it next year for my short work commute. Not 100% sure about the relevant law, I hear it may fall under a grey area.

They’re legal where I live, I bought one last year for my short commute, which is great. My commute is short enough though that I find it more relaxing (and mentally beneficial) to walk. It’s great for nipping up to the shops etc

They’re legal only if the motor is 250 watts or less (which most of them are not) and they’re not legal for on road use (and you have to wear a helmet). At least in Victoria that’s the case anyway.

1 Like

I have one of the Segways which is above the legal limit. I’ve ridden past cops without issue. The general consensus with Victoria users (there is a Segway Melbourne Facebook group that have discussed this in detail) is that the cops will ignore you unless you’re doing something stupid or irresponsible. Apparently some cops have indicated this to users. I.e. riding fast in areas that are busy, weaving in an out of traffic like a kamakazi, etc. Ride with a helmet, don’t be an idiot and you’ll be okay.

The last major fine I heard of was someone on drugs riding in the dark without a helmet or lights

https://integritysampling.com.au/2021/07/melbourne-drug-testing-fail-with-a-difference/

2 Likes

What’s a work commute?

(says the Melbourne-ite who just clocked over 200 days locked down, and 350+ working from home… :thinking: :weary:)

2 Likes

This is my understanding too. Next year I will be changing jobs and I plan to move house, and a Segway would probably be ideal for me.

It works really well. The one I have does 35km/h in sports mode and 17km/h in economy. I think the range is 45km in economy. If I use sports , I can do a trip into the city from Port Melbourne in about 10 minutes on the bicycle paths as there is a long straight path from beach street parallel to the tram lines. I got it for my wife as I normally use a motorbike and she wanted to avoid public transport going into the office.

2 Likes

Telstra Day was Thursday (24 hour deals). A colleague bought a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G 256GB for $672 (50% off).

I considered buying an iPhone 12 mini (40% off) for my mother to replace her 6S (one of my old phones) but eventually decided against it, she just doesn’t use her phone enough to justify me spending $720. I will probably give her my XS when I upgrade this year or next year.

The iPad Air was 20% off but I’m considering buying the upcoming iPad mini, so I’d like to see what it looks like before I consider buying it or maybe the new iPad Air.

1 Like

Bought new linen bedsheets because i’m an adult :rofl:

4 Likes

Ordered new iPad Pro 11" and Logitech Combo case. Arriving in about a week. First iPad upgrade since my first, an iPad 4. Looking forward to the new toy and being able to use it as a second monitor for my MBP.

2 Likes