Optus Hack Sep22

My details were accessed. Hasn’t been dealt with great imho. I first got an email saying all my info was accessed, then one saying my driver’s license number had not been accessed, then another one saying it had been accessed but I didn’t need to change my license.

I don’t know what exactly I should do - Optus won’t pay for a new license number.

1 Like

Doubt we should trust a company that has terrible security to be competent in knowing whose details and specifically what details have been leaked. As I said, I got an email from them saying my QLD (!) Driver’s Licence number was leaked. Presuming the cost to replace is < $50, I’m happy to pay for a replacement myself.

Won’t cost you anything for Qld licence, did mine yesterday.
Just make sure you can show the Optus email.

1 Like

I’m certainly considering my options… used to have phone and net with them, but net is iiNet now… and I know iiNet are after my phone(s) too… might revisit that idea…

I feel privileged to be a customer of both Optus and Medibank right now.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m waiting on more info from AHM at the moment…

1 Like

Some how I got a notification from Vino Mofo as well who was breached. Despite never being a customer of theirs. Still trying to figure out how I was on their list.

if you search for Medibank in Google News, it’s not good

1 Like

With AHM… got their breach email sigh

Medibank Private shares (ASX: MPL) down 15% today

1 Like

Got an email from VicRoads:

"You recently registered your details with us as someone whose licence details were compromised as part of the Optus data breach. We have analysed the data provided to us by Optus, validated that against our database and can confirm your data was not part of the Optus data breach.

However, to ensure your identity is protected, we will still replace your licence and issue you with an additional licence card number that will be used for identity verification purposes. You will receive your new licence card by early 2023."

1 Like

Yeah - I think that’s absolute crap, personally.

My reading of it is… you have the same license number, but now a new additional number.

But - how many companies that use someone’s drivers license are actually going to pay to have an additional field added to their databanks and input screens etc etc etc in order for this new number to have any impact??

Seems like there are a few news articles about this that I had not seen. So those that flagged their card will get this security code now (a sticker), while everyone will get it printed on the card when they get their first or a renewed licence. This effectively works like the CVC/CVV on debit and credit cards. But as you said, will banks, telcos, etc add an extra field to their systems?

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/renew-replace-or-update/optus-response

2 Likes

We got a letter today from AHM (part of Medicare) to tell us what information their hackers managed to acquire!

1 Like