There is a similar thread to this from which I got some useful advice but my questions are different so I’m posting this.
I carelessly downloaded a rogue copy of Flash Player while hastily searching for a uTube video. Yahoo took over my Firefox browser until an internet search pointed me to FractionData malware.
A. disposed of that, did a safe startup and hunted for suspicious file fragments and anything added on the same day as the Flash D/L. Then I ran Malwarebytes Free. It only found one file: Adware.operatorMac; quarantined that and searched for fragments.
B. checked extensions/add-ons to both Safari and Firefox and removed any offenders, restarting after.
C. Activity Monitor has very little CPU in use.
- Now I’d like to know if I should install a virus protection program or just not do anything careless again. I’m normally super-cautious. If so, what is recommended, please? I don’t mind buying one if that’s best.
- I don’t normally use Safari as I find it terribly slow. Is that an indicator that something is wrong?
- Firefox, my preferred browser, is slow to start but responds quickly once it’s running. Is that normal? There have been no more page hijackings.
- Other apps. such as TextEdit and mail, have been slow to start and sluggish in use, as well.
- While searching for info on Adobe I came across a reference to security flaws in Acrobat Reader, which I use frequently. Would those have been fixed by updates?
Learn more at National Vulnerability Database (NVD)
• CVSS Severity Rating • Fix Information • Vulnerable Software Versions • SCAP Mappings • CPE Information
Adobe Acrobat and Reader versions 2020.006.20042 and earlier, 2017.011.30166 and earlier, 2017.011.30166 and earlier, and 2015.006.30518 and earlier have a security bypass vulnerability. Successful exploitation could lead to security feature bypass.
I found a record of 2020.006.20042 having D/L in March (?) Would that have been fixed in later updates, please?
Running 10.12.6 2009 MacBook Pro.
Would sincerely appreciate advice, especially about the need for a virus protection program.
I do have an unsullied backup as i don’t leave the backup drive connected and hadn’t done one since the problem.
I’ll be off-line for a couple of hours but will respond then.