Removing the 3.5mm headphone socket

Those AirPod thingies look like they’re headed straight for the back of the couch and the spot between your car seat and the centre console. I’ve heard they’re small enough to be a choke hazard too. Don’t any of these guys have kids? I’m careful with my shit - don’t use cases and my phones look great after 3 years - but I wouldn’t use something like that in case I lost it. Kind of expensive to keep replacing all the time too. How long before we get a “Find my Fucking AirPods Already!” app I wonder?

1 Like

I’m in the same camp. Don’t have an issue with the loss of the jack. I’ll use the adapter permanently attached to my headphones and when I am ready to replace, I’ll find something that is lightning compatible. Saves me having to charge them up the whole time although I am consider the Bose bluetooth active cancelling ones as well.

1 Like

2 Likes
2 Likes

The Belkin Lightning adaptor is a better bit of kit than Apple’s lightning dock but it means you need that adaptor and then the Apple lightning to 3.5mm adaptor to use one’s good quality 3rd party headphones.

2 dongles in line just to use a pair of standard headphones seems a tad… excessive :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if there is a technical issue (or maybe just a cost one) in having two lightning AND a 3.5mm jack?

I’m totally guessing, but maybe you still need a 3rd lightning chip in there for the 3.5mm socket and assuming it’s licenced per chip it’s a cost???

Assuming (again) it’s all digital until it’s output to the 3.5mm jack, having a daisy chain of plugs shouldn’t effect the sound quality.

Not sure, but my preferred adaptor would look like the Belkin one but have a single full function lightning port and a single 3.5mm port.

I’m sure that’ll come eventually from our friends at alibaba. :wink:

BTW the Adapter Apple Supplies is actually only $12. This is a pleasant surprise as I figured it would be stupidly expensive like lots of other accessories.

2 Likes

I saw a post a review site that sort of went (I’m paraphrasing).

If the adaptor is $30 (US) then Apple are saying ‘fuck you, we have reasons for doing this’

If the Adaptor is $20 (US) then Apple are saying “we’re sort of sorry we caused you problems”

If the Adaptor is $10 (US) then Apple are saying “we’re really worried about the publicity this is going to cause”

Guess what… it’s $10 US.

1 Like

This is the one I saw:

‘it’ll cost $19 if Apple’s sort of sorry, $29 if it’s not sorry, and if it’s free in the box then Apple’s really afraid of consumer backlash.’

Source

1 Like

My thoughts on Apple removing the headphone socket… (not that I have ever used it much on any of my iPhones since no longer using public transport…)

If Apple wants to remove the headphone socket to economise on room/etc - fine. BUT, ship those fancy replacement headphones with the iPhone without jacking (pun intended) up the price!

Of course, as noted, I have no right to complain… Doesn’t mean I wont. :slight_smile:

Courage.

2 Likes

Doesn’t affect me in anyway so I don’t care.

Someone can have my adapter if they want it.

2 Likes

I would have been a bit annoyed, but generally supportive of one lighting and one usb c - That would be a good move if the entire industry moved towards USB-C being a standard for audio connectors.

Why not USB-C ports in the middle of the top and bottom of the phone, both of which could be used for earpods or charging?

I suspect having a flat PCB like cable running up the back of the battery wouldn’t be what apple wanted to do.

My thoughts: More and more people are buying wireless headphones to use with their phones, and there are some great DAC/amp in a cable solutions available from companies like Audeze for the loss of the headphone port to matter.

Nobody is being forced to buy or use the Airpods, so anyone who thinks they are stupid doesn’t have to do anything at all.

7 Likes

I think this sums it up perfectly. It’s from a few years back, obviously, but I bet it is exactly the same reasoning they’re using now:

https://youtu.be/65_PmYipnpk?t=2m45s

3 Likes

Those that want the ability to charge and use their phones at the same time will eventually buy a dongle and that will have an inline DAC. There is already a couple of cables in the mix that have the DAC in line. I’ve been seeing them pop up on Facebook in some of the audio discussion groups, haven’t been interested enough to follow.

The thing is until now I didn’t have to buy a stupid add on that already duplicated the capability of what my phone does. Now I do, that’s a bit of a backwards way of treating your customers. I will work it out in the end, or I’ll decide not to buy another iPhone instead.

The real issue is things like that make and break customers sales. At the end of the day there is already a PR issue and a whole bunch of people who got the message Apple doesn’t care any more which converts into the loss of hundreds of thousands of sales.

It probably won’t affect Apple’s bottom line now, but if they get too full of themselves it will affect them eventually the way it affected other once large media player market companies like Sony.

And now who honestly goes out of their way to buy a Walkman? That’s the thing though Sony was the number 1 seller in this market once and if it can happen to Sony it can happen to Apple. I know Sony’s high resolution Walkman is a thing but I have even less interest in it than a new iPhone.