The end of Pocket Weather Australia

But I want to be angry now!

1 Like

Is someone angry? I’m not. Its just how things are.

I’m angry 24/7.

I have to laugh. Isn’t one of the IAPs basically to make the Watch app function as expected?

Weather Underground is pretty cool! Thankfully there’s a super local station (appears to be either on my street or a street away). Pocket Weather never quite nailed it with the latest iPhone app (let’s just pretend the iPad app doesn’t exist…)

The weather underground app for iPhone does not have the same functionality as the iPad app. In fact I am not happy about the iPad app’s limitations either. The iPhone app does what it needs to report current weather, but Shifty Jelly does a better job of that. Wunderground, being a tool for people publishing their own weather station, should focus less on forecasts and more on reporting from these weather stations, including historic information from them than it does now.

Never said they were the same, just that you claimed there was no app for iPhone. and, as I said, the ipad app is called “Wunderstation” and is very useful for those of us Kms from the nearest station pulling BOM weather. I’m planning to put a station in, right here. I just want to know whats coming today, and dont much care what happened last week, last year, or what might happen next month. It gives a 10 day forecast and for this area, thats fine by me. Pocket Weather was/is good, but I needed something more reliable for my particular circumstances which actually excludes BOM weather. YMMV.

Sorry, my reply reads more neg than it should. I use wunderground for the exact purpose you describe. Publishing my own station.

1 Like

Don’t worry you can forget about this and be angry about something else tomorrow. In fact you may have already forgotten since I didn’t respond to your post for a whole day :wink:

Disappointed but understand the economics of it. I really liked Pocket Weather and never really warmed to Weatherzone. Really dislike adware and forced subscription to remove them.

Also I’ve never understood why Apple weather app doesn’t use info from the Bureau of Metrology. I’ve observed that its source is often a couple of degrees off target for Melbourne.

Another alternative to all mentioned so far is the NOAA weather app. Theres a station here at Newcastle University and before I discovered Wunderstation, I was using that. Its pretty good, though its radar is different to the usual.

Cool, I’m in Newcastle also so thanks for that!

1 Like

Quite mind-blowing. Put in the name of a city and it comes up with more info than you can handle.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s pretty good. There’s even a weather station in my suburb!

Don’t you ever get hungry?

Because if you do then you’d be ‘hangry’ some of the time and hence not angry 24/7 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

jhv66

1 Like

Well yes… but that chart and 24/7 angry implies not only not getting hungry but also not getting horny (you have my sympathy) :wink:

1 Like

The worst thing about the inevitable demise of Pocket Weather Australia is that we may never have a nice-looking, feature-complete, BOM-sourced weather app ever again.

This is most evident with the release of watchOS 5 and the Apple Watch Series 4, both of which bring new complications so I can get the weather at a glance of my wrist. And yet, the only weather app which supports the new complications (i.e. the measuring stick I’m using to judge how much the developers of any given app care, given that new feature adoption on day one is extremely telling) is Carrot Weather, an app that all for all intents and purposes may well be the best weather app currently available on the App Store, despite its upfront purchase price and ongoing subscription to unlock more advanced features.

From what I can tell, OzWeather supports older-style complications, but its main iPhone app looks so ungainly it could never be afforded a spot on my home screen.

Not that the complications that Pocket Weather did have were particularly good, mind you - the last time I used them, they didn’t seem to update with the current temp, and just had forecast details for the day. Perhaps they just needed a little more time in the oven, but I’ll give them points for trying.

By comparison (and it’s not exactly a fair one, given first-party apps come with numerous advantages not afforded to third-party developers), Apple’s own complications for weather, backed by data from The Weather Channel, are near-perfect, let down only by a lacklustre iOS app that’s light on data and even lighter on settings. But it looks nice enough, and has the advantage of being included with iOS, which means that while it might not get as much dev time or updated more than once per year(!), the chances of it getting dropped are also slim to none.

Not that any of this matters, given I live in Brisbane and it’s always just “hot” half the year (sometimes even “bloody hot”) and “fairly warm” the other half…

I don’t really mind that we don’t have Dark Sky, because Rain Parrot fills that void nicely. But I’ve used nothing else since Pocket Weather was released, and now you’re telling me I’ll have to look at alternatives to get my push notification in the morning telling me what the weather will be like today, another one at midday telling me what the weather has been like so far and what it will be like for the rest of the day, and another one in the evening telling me what tomorrow’s weather will be like? Or that there will be some other app that will let me know about the feels-like temp as a badge on its icon? Some other weather app that will put emojis in its push notifications for weather conditions, as well as special occasions like Christmas, Easter, and New Year’s?

It’ll be a sad day when Pocket Weather Australia stops working. But for now, I’ll continue to use the best alternative, and from here, that looks like Carrot Weather, just as soon as I figure out how to turn down the attitude.

For the record, I would absolutely pay Carrot’s prices for a BOM-sourced, constantly-developed equivalent to Pocket Weather in a heartbeat, if that were an option. Alas, it does not seem to be this time around.

Let us all know when you do. Thats the reason I dropped Carrot Weather. I’m still using OzWeather on my watch, but its less than suitable because it gives weather for miles away. Wunderground was never very good at updating on the watch so I gave up on that. (and having said that, just reinstalled, and it seems to have improved)

You can turn the snark completely off in Carrot Weather, set your politics, and if you’re a subscriber you can choose Weather Underground as the data source, which gets at least some data from BOM.

I use it happily.