The new Apple TV

Found something that confirms your suspicion that its the same hardware.
https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/58194

That’s good enough for me to switch my order back to Singapore.

1 Like

Thankyou Aherndts or however you spell it.

Plex Media Server 0.9.12.17 is now available for Plex Pass members.
FIXES
A case where composites for photo albums didn’t display correctly on Linux.
Fix for resuming video on an unreleased app for an unreleased fruit-themed device.

1 Like

Certainly that 50$ premium makes an interesting sell depending on your requirements. Especially given its at the same time Kmart is selling the PS4 for the same price.

Sadly I am still going to buy it, I just didn’t think it would be more than $300

1 Like

I guess I’ll pony up for the 32Gb…but $269 is a bit rich!!

(…where’s the “bend over” emoji?!)

What do you guys think the performance impact will be with the way tvOS does the app thinning and slicing? I’m in for a 32gb model and I do have 100mb/s internet, but is it going to mean long loading screens do you think?

Does anyone know if we can purchase the new Apple TV in store yet? or if it is online only at this stage?

Was in an Apple Store today and they don’t have them yet,and didn’t have a date on when they will have them, as wanted to try one out to talk myself out of it.

Does anyone know what the statutory fees are? On the 32GB model (at $A269) I would have thought there was about $24 for GST. What is the other $20?

And no the * doesn’t help…

Includes GST and statutory fees of approx. A$43.00.*

• An approximation. Fees may vary over time.

That’s odd. Statutory fees?

“Apple Tax”?

I did some sums a day or two ago and worked out based on the exchange rate that morning, that the cost + GST should be around $229. I could not figure what the extra was for,

This sort of discussion happens every time Apple prices go up in Australia and most times Apple seem to charge more than is directly justified by the conversion costs plus GST.

I’m going with Apple Tax too…

“Statutory” implies something enforced by law. If it’s simply an Apple tax or their built-in recovery of the exchange rate loss, then those aren’t statutory fees at all. This is the first time I’m heard of the term applied in consumer tech gear. It’s mainly reserved for motor vehicles and property!

Invoices when they ship will tell the real story. It may well be a misprint copied from another country in error.

Just a random guess - perhaps this Apple taxing some other fee or tax, like corporation tax, and arbitrarily spreading it over all the products they sell in Australia? Of course, that’s assuming they pay any corporation tax…

Preparing for shipment. Huzzah!

2 Likes

I jumped on chat for the first time ever to ask when stores are going to receive stock. They checked my local store and there’s no info available to them at the moment. They’re guessing any time within the next week.

Mine too :smile:

Strangely when I used the chat on the Apple store website, they said that they only deal with online and cannot even tell me whether the new Apple TV would be purchasable in any stores at all.