The No-Compromise MacBook Pro

Given it’s the lower spec I totally agree with re-naming it… but why keep it around at all? It’s the same machine as the MBA, but with longer battery life and a touch bar they seem insistent on getting rid of??

I just don’t understand the segmentation Apple is using here. I understand anchor pricing to get something in low down to help justify the higher price point for the product people actually should be buying… although the iPad and the Mac Book Air are actually pretty capable devices these days.
All a “MacBook” brings to the party is something to stick in between the Air and the Pro which doesn’t really seem to add anything compelling (except for the touchbar which my Wife confirmed again this afternoon she wouldn’t give up if given the choice).

Similarily the iPhone range is just confusing for normal people with the SE, 11, 12, 12 mini, 13, 13 mini, 13 Pro, 13 Pro Max. Sure at lots of different price points from cheap(er) to nearly $3k(!!) but it seems like offering a product at every price point is the objective (which also helps to hide the high cost of the top models).

Let’s not try to find logic or consistency in Apple’s product range or naming conventions.

2 Likes

I think the difference is that the ‘MacBook’ could be higher specced than the Air and have a fan for higher performance. Maybe they could put the M1 Pro in?

I don’t think we need a 3rd era for MacBooks. Maybe Apple could release 12” and 14” MacBook Airs if they think there is sufficient demand for a 12” laptop. But three lines of laptops was messy.

Once upon a time, there was some consistency in the range of Apple laptop computers… Then - there wasn’t. I blame the MacBook, but - I forget which one. But, it’s totally to blame. Aluminium… bad range of ports…

Glad that most people are happy with the new offering/s.

So true!

The laptop range has always been confusing!

What about people who want better performance than the Air, but don’t want to pay $3000 for a Pro?

It’s a big price jump between the Air and Pro!

Today the 13" M1 MBA and MBP are near identical which questions why the latter exists at all. Ditching the M1 MBP would make sense (especially if you end up adding magsafe or any of the other ports back into the ‘lesser’ models).

The MacBook used to be the entry level model with the Pro being better, although how much has always been a wildcard depending on the product release cycle which just adds to the confusion.

If I could wave my magic wand I’d make two broad categories, Entry level and Pro.

Entry level would be the MacBook Air so they can keep the name and mostly because they probably don’t want to move away from that smaller form factor the Air has over the current 13" M1 Pro.

SKU’s… is an interesting one. In principle they could have a single SKU with everything else being BTO. Make it simple for resellers to stock and also make the upsell to the Pro a little easier (or pushes more people direct to Apple for BTO which can’t hurt the profit margins).

Otherwise, three basic SKU’s covers pretty much everyone and would allow people to walk into their local JB and buy something suitable. Today two of these exist, but I think a third option with higher specs as a standard offering would be excellent and would also help to bridge the gap to the Pro models (using their current pricing for reference it would look like this):
8GB RAM 256GB Storage - $1,499
8GB RAM, 512GB Storage - $1,849
16GB RAM, 1TB Storage - $2,449

Pro Range.
Need more power and ports? Go Pro! Easy enough upsell, especially to anyone who doesn’t want to live in dongle town (although I keep saying that if you bite the bullet and replace your cables once you pretty much don’t need any dongles anyway).

14" vs 16" is about personal preference on size. There seems to be zero functional or performance difference between the two other than battery life thanks to the larger chassis holder more battery… and even then, those numbers are so large they probably don’t make much a of a difference anyway. Is anyone buying a 16" over a 16" because they NEEEED more battery life?

The 14" does have a couple of lower end model configurations making the step from the base 14" to the base 16" $750 (which hurts for people who just want the larger display), but once you spec them to the same level the differences are only $300 more for the larger display (and battery).

So do we get a “MacBook” shoved in the middle with all the ports of the Pro but the power of the M1? I wouldn’t make that product since it would suck too much of the upsell business away from the Pro line. Assuming the current price remained, $2,199 for 512GB storage (8GB RAM) MacBook but with all those shiny new ports from the Pro range? How hard would it be to convince people that extra $800 was worthwhile? (Assuming we trade off the touchbar for the ports).

1 Like

This is an awesome review of the new MacBook pros.

ok, it’s been a couple days now, and I have come to a conclusion

I have no problem with the notch on the MacBook*

*still want it gone from the iPhone though

2 Likes

I’m the other way around. I don’t mind it at all on the iPhone and it makes sense (housing the face ID components), on the Mac it’s a waste of menu bar space!

I don’t get why people have such an issue with the notch… It’s iconic to the phone, as much as white headphones and the click wheel were to the iPod.

Either way, I’m eagerly awaiting the delivery of my new beast. Absolutely can’t wait to side-by-side it with my 6-core MBP 15" from '19.

Because it reduces the real estate for menu bar items, without the benefit of FaceID.

I have no issue with it in my phone, though the iPhone 13 notch looks worse than the 12 notch.

Can’t they retrospectively allow FaceID via software update?

Is it iFixit that tears apart Apple products? Maybe we will soon find out if the new MacBooks have components that are not being used which could suggest that FaceID might be available in a year or two.

Otherwise, I fully expect future MacBook generations to add the hardware necessary for FaceID.

Rumours that the 2022 MacBook Air will be renamed as just MacBook.

While it does intrude on the menu bar, the overall screen itself is actually taller, so you still get more overall screen real estate, just less menubar. Given Big Sur hides much of the right side stuff under the ‘control centre’ style icon I think it’s a net win. I’d certainly prefer to have it than not tbh as vertical space is always my bugbear on laptops. (and why I love working on the iPad Pro on the road as it’s 4:3).

2 Likes

There are other laptops where they manage to have a similarly thin bezel so you get the extra screen real estate without loosing menu bar space.

I don’t find it a net win, having stuff under control centre makes it a double step, which is why I have my most used functions on the menu bar!

No it needs a true depth camera for faceID

This is exactly what I was wondering. In this case, the notch doesn’t bother me in the slightest. The lack of Touch Bar does however, but that’s another story.

1 Like

While I will admit that it’s strange that the notch on the MacBook Pro is both bigger than the one on the iPhone and yet doesn’t include Face ID, I’m OK with it after seeing this picture.