Thoughts on Cable vs ADSL2+

So true.

Being able to upload more than 8GB a day to BackBlaze seems like a pipe dream for me.

1 Like

I’ve got my photos in Google Photo’s now, but it took months to get them all uploaded. The delta isn’t too bad and it’s all happening quietly on a dedicated VM on my server. While I have to check on it from time to time because it’s barfed on something it works alright… but slowly. Since we don’t have huge amounts of new photos everyday it does just work … for now.

But there is so much more I’d love to backup but don’t even consider thanks to the limited uplink.

Pretty much the same with me and iCloud Photo Library. Especially uploading a couple of gig of raw photos after a shoot.

I’ve got a good mate who’s currently looking at getting a NAS for himself, we are talking about dedicating some space to each other for a free offsite backup (either on the NAS itself or as a single USB drive plugged in the back). It doesn’t need to be redundant, just another copy somewhere else. The beauty is we can do the initial backup in person and restore the same way if ever needed.

Considering we will both have NAS devices it’s essentially a zero cost option, great when you start talking more than a TB or two. :smiley:

This is a good idea, and just ensure that the data it contains is not something you perhaps don’t want them to see. So you might consider encrypting it.

I am putting power and possibly network to my shed, and perhaps if I can put in a cabinet with a bit of cooling, it might be a good place for offsite storage (out of the house for a backup copy).