Trackpad hurting fingers

After some research online this seems to be quite a common occurrence, however there also seems not to be any consensus on the cause.

With a Macbook Pro 13 (2017), I’m getting it quite a lot. It feels like electricity almost and tends to make my fingers sensitive to other things as well, almost like they’re bruised or raw. I’ve tried different sitting positions, using different fingers, alternating hands, but nothing seems to stop it.

Has there been any study done about this or does anyone know if the cause has been identified?

As a side note, if it’s got something to do with the conductivity of the trackpad, this could also explain why my speakers, on two different Macbooks, occasionally emit a crackle of static.

MacBookPro 2009 13" - sometimes I have noticed an electrical sensation on the trackpad/wrist rest area… Most noticed it when the device was plugged in - figured it was an issue with the Magsafe cord / connection…

1 Like

RSI - repetitive strain injury.

Try using an external mouse or external trackpad, with a proper wrist pad. Make sure you use a wrist pad for your keyboard too (external one if needed).

Nah, again, I’ve tried things like that already. And I really don’t use it that much and haven’t had it long enough to develop RSI.

Try using the long version of the Apple power cable with the ground plug instead of the two prong “duckhead” if you have one. Sadly Apple doesn’t include anymore. :man_facepalming:

This one?

1 Like

That’s the one. I had a MBP that did that, though only rarely. Never happened when using that extension cord.

Sorry - was flat out working on a mailserver migration all weekend. Yep - that’s the cable. I have a spare one here I don’t need if you want it for $20 incl. post.

Just want to add my voice as an Australian MacBook Pro user with the same issue. You’ve described it just as I’ve experienced it. It happens even when the MBP is not charging. It started again today after not having it for a while. I had been out all day and it started when I got home and was only using messenger, so no overuse on this occasion or recently. It really feels awful.

1 Like

I also have a 2017 13” MBP however have not experienced any problems myself.

Hi,

I am from Aus and experiencing the same thing… burning fingers from using the Magicpad or Trackpad… whatever its called… I have only had the computer for 3 weeks.

Have you by any chance spoken to apple about it?? I may consider returning my unit. I got the 16 inch MacBook with i7 processor.

Since your post have you discovered any more.

Appreciate your time to reply as I am extremely frustrated and looking for answers.

thanks in advance.

Boris

Have you tried a grounded power cable?