What's your current Apple/Mac setup at home (and at work)

Hi all

Might be interesting to find out what your current setup is - photos even better (although my current setup is temporary as we are in transition accommodation so none from me yet).

I’m using as our main machine a mid-2012 Retina MacBookj Pro, powering a 27 inch Thunderbolt Display, Apple Keyboard, Generic Wireless Mouse, and the external drive setup I’ve described in this thread: Thunderbold RAID 5 Promise Pegasus 4 x 1 Tb array, 3 Tb Lacie External Thunderbolt Drive.

I also have an ATV3, iPhone 6S+, iPad4. For work I use an SP3.

My wife has a 2015 Gold MacBook.

The kids have an iPod Touch 5th Gen, iPad 2.

What about you? :slight_smile:

My current main machine is a 2008 MacPro temporarily, because the 2008 dell died,plugged into a 40inch 4K TV. Unfortunately ATI 5770 can only provide a 1080 resolution. Shows how technology marches on as my iPhone 6s plus can record a 4K video.

Nothing exciting here. Everything is getting old.

2012 Mac Mini with 16GB and 500GB.
2010 White Macbook with 8GB and a 250GB SSD
iPad Air2 (which is what I seem to use most)
iPad mini (couch surfing whilst watching TV)
iPhone 5S

I have a Billion 7800VDPX router mostly for the VoIP. My old AEBS (2008 or 2009, I forget which) does the wifi duty because its much more reliable than the Billion’s wifi.

External hard drives: 3x 2TB WD Elements, 1x1TB and 1x 500GB WD xBook (cant remember which variety, they have firewire. the elements drives are all USB2) and one 500GB WD Passport.

Nothing organised or even vaguely sensible about my setup. No pix because its a total mess.

Currently I have no primary Mac!!!

Main machine is a i5/8gb/256gb Surface Pro 3 with Win10.
Gaming machine is a DIY also with Win 10.

I have a Mac Mini Server attached to the TV as a download box & Plex front end/server which stores all it’s stuff on a Synology DS415+ stashed under the stairs.

I’m using my old 2010 11" Macbook Air as an autoanswer sykpe machine to check on my dogs while im out now.

My girlfriend is rocking a 27" iMac and 13" MBA.

Other Apple in the household are:

iPhone 6 Plus (Mine)
iPhone 6S (Hers)
2x iPad Air

I’ll likely go back to OS X eventually. Windows 10 is a nice change for a little while, though.

Nothing fancy here as well…

Personal set up :-
MacBook White Unibody C2D (2009) for running Windows - minor coding
Surface Pro 3 for more coding stuff - shared between my partner and myself
We have a 3x2 monitor set up at home, we call it the ‘control room’
MacBook Pro 13" (2011) with 250GB SSD as my main machine at home
iPad Mini 2nd Gen for NetFlix and travel entertainment
iPod Classic 120GB (2008)
Just upgraded to an iPhone 6 :smiley:

Work laptop? A dinasour ThinkPad T430 :sob:

Nothing terribly exciting at the moment.

• Late 2012 Mac mini (2.5GHz Core i5, 500GB HDD, 16GB RAM) with Kogan 27" cinema display
  • iPad Air 2 (space grey)
  • iPhone 6s Plus (space grey)
  • Apple Watch Sport (you guessed it, space grey)

I’ve been on stopgap Macs for a while. I bought a CTO mid-2011 27" iMac when they came out, with a 256GB SSD and a 3TB HDD, but we didn’t have room for it when we moved to Sydney so I sold it. Made do with a 13" MacBook Air for a while, then switched to the Mac mini when we didn’t need to use it as a Plex server anymore. When the next iMac comes along I will probably CTO one of those again.

Sadly I’m on a Windows 7 laptop for work.

• Late 2012 Mac mini (2.5GHz Core i5, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM) in the home
    office - it’s my Plex server and also controls my 3D printer

• 2x Mid 2013 MacBook Airs (1.3GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM)
    mine has 128GB SSD, wife’s has 256GB SSD

• 2x ATV3 - loungeroom and bedroom, both use PlexConnect which is
    running on the mini.

• iPhone 6 Plus 128GB in Space Grey - mine iPhone 6 64GB in Gold -
    wife’s

• iPad Air 2 64GB in Space Grey

Using a Macbook Air i7 at home, have a iPad Air but don’t use it since I got my Surface Pro 3. Also have a iPhone 6S.

My Macbook Air is still my go to machine over my Surface Pro if I have a choice though.

My main machine is a 9,1 iMac - 24" Early 2007 2.93GHz Core2Duo with 4GB RAM, and a 1TB FW800 Raid scratch drive attached for video editing… with iTunes and iPhoto folders stored remotely on a WD 4TB WiFi Cloud drive.

Also a 2,1 Mac mini - 2GHz with 2.5GB RAM serving as a HTPC…

and 5,5 MacBook Pro - 2.26GHz Core2Duo 13" with 5GB RAM for in front of the telly…

and USB2 iMac - 1.25GHz 20" in the bedroom serving as a TV…

At work, I’m on a “lite” terminal, remote logging into the server running Windows something-or-other… The office comprises around 25 people… All of the art team (8-9) are on fairly recent model skinny iMacs… Some of the rest of us use either hand-me-down iMacs or optical-less Minis… Frankly… gulp I’m happy using the PC version of Excel, so not going to make the change. (!) (HATE most recent versions of Mac Excel… Feels awful to use…)

Main Mac: A 2 month old, 2012 Non Retina Macbook Pro 13 inch (1TB EVO 850 SSD, 2.9GHZ i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5/Windows 7) . I have a Asus monitor for my desk where it becomes my desktop Mac as well.

Secondary Mac: My early 2008 White Macbook (256GB OWC SSD, 2.4GHZ C2D, 6GB RAM, OSX 10.7.5/Windows 10) gets used as a Windows 10 machine and also as a Mac for various other purposes.

iPad: I have an ageing iPad 2 (64GB, 3G, iOS 8) is used mainly for light tasks (email, safari, email, twitter, Facebook, reading and a huge number of other things), but also goes to uni with me where I use it for note taking, watching lectures, research, essay writing etc.

’Work iPad’ : I have an iPad Mini 2 (16GB, iOS 9) that I use to teach people how to use an iPad.

Phone: My phone is an iPhone 5 (16GB, iOS 8), used for the normal phone things, though I do use my iPad more than my phone.

Spare phone: My ‘Music Phone/iPod’ (no room on my main iPhone) is a 3GS (32GB, iOS 6) goes everywhere with me, and I also use it when I don’t want to drop/break/loose my iPhone 5.

My setup is:

Macs
My main Mac is a 2011, 27"iMac with a DYI Fusion Drive. I usually updated my Mac’s every there years, but the DYI 3TB Fusion Drive added a few years to the life of my iMac. I’ll probably upgrade to a new iMac soon though. I have a Synology DS1513 attached to it (storing my media files), and a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300. The ScanSnap is fantastic and I highly recommend it to anyone if they want to try and go paperless or want digitise your documents.

My secondary Mac is a 2012 11" MacBook Air - This gets very little use now as if I travel, I tend to take my iPad rather than my MacBook (unless I need to do serious work).

iPhones
I upgrade my iPhone each year so am rocking an iPhone 6s (128GB Space Grey). My wife inherited my iPhone 6 and her old iPhone 5s has become the spare iPhone. It does not see much use except when we travel. I usually put a local sim in my iPhone and my Australian sim sits in the spare iPhone.

iPads
I have an iPad Air 2 (128GB), and my wife usually gets my old model when the new iPad is released, but there was no iPad Air 3 this year it would have meant that there was no iPads to pass down to my wife and daughter. This did not go down too well, so I purchased my wife an iPad Air 2 a few weeks ago and my wife’s old iPad Air was then passed to my daughter. It means we now have a spare iPad 3, iPad 2 and original iPad lying around the house.

Other
We have 2 Apple TV’s (2nd generation) running Plex. They are great, but am looking forward to upgrading to the ATV 4 when it come out next month. We have 2 Chromecasts as well, but they are terrible so don’t see much use. We have a few iPods classics too. They are sitting in various docks and act as the music player in our lounge rooms.

That’s pretty much my setup.

At home I use a hotted up 13" 2011 MBP. It sits in a Henge Dock that’s connected to 2x Dell 24" monitors via a Matrox DualHead2Go Digital ME. I use an Apple wireless keyboard and magic trackpad, but I also have a Razer Death Adder mouse for gaming^.

At work I simply undock my MBP and take it in, and plug it into two monitors there as well. I use the MBP trackpad and keyboard there.

I have an ATV3 and I’ve set it up so I can access Netflix, Hulu & HBO Now, and those three apps cover about 90% of my viewing.

I use an Airport Express to connect my Mac to my NAD stereo.

I have an iPad 3, which unfortunately is now starting to crash due to RAM limitations but I have no intention of replacing it any time soon. I use it for web browsing, reading books and lately I’ve started using it for the odd game.

I have an iPhone 5S and to be honest it’s the least used device I own. Phones are arseholes. I can never hit the right key or autocorrect thinks it has a better education than I do, and I’ve tried swyft which is good but it doesn’t work in half the apps I use. The most use my phone gets is hooking it up in my car for music when I drive somewhere, or entering purchases into YNAB or Splitwise.

Oh, no Plex or Infuse here. If I happen to “borrow” a show I convert it using iFlicks 2 and import it into iTunes. Doesn’t take long.

^ I have a gaming rig set up in a HTPC case and I use Steam in home streaming to play games from it on my MBP. It’s the sweetest thing being able to play games at insane resolutions on my ageing Mac.

I came to Apple by trying a Macbook 13 & soon became hooked.
Ditched the Windows machine for a 2011 27" iMac, which I modded with ram & SSD, the SSD installation was interesting :smile:
When I saw a 2010 Mac Pro run out deal in 2012 I jumped in, just a basic model, quad core & 4 GB ram.
Quickly upped the ram, then obtained a 6 core processor. Have played around with HDD configs & SSD’s & now have a 1TB PCIE SSD which really zips along. Have also done the USB3 mod along with bluetooth to support handoff. This machine is still running nicely, hooked up to a 27"" Cinema display & 27" Asus monitor.
I’m a back-up freak, 4 HDD’s in a Fusion QR as well as 2 Lacie’s for Time Machine.
Earlier in the year while on hols I picked up a 12" Macbook as my portable.
No plans to change any of this at this stage.
I have an Epson Perfection which I purchased to scan negatives from my daughter’s wedding (they only used film then), managed to buy the negs from the Photographer who was still around & was still hanging on to them. Worked very well.
A Brother MFC completes the line up.

Current main Mac is a 27 inch iMac, back up Mac is a man mini. Current main laptop is a MacBook Pro, light travel laptop is a Macbook Air. SWMBO would kill me if I posted a photo of my desk without cleaning it up first so you’ll have to wait for that :slight_smile:

Been through a lot of Mac setups over the years and now have settled on this but change my mind constantly. I will be getting the new ATV and I am tempted to go back to the iPad Mini with the release of the 4.

• MacBook Pro 15 (Retina Base Model)
  • iPad Air 2 64GB - Cellular
  • iPhone 6s Silver 64GB
  • Apple Time Capsule & Airport Express
  • Apple TV * 2

You sir win the internet for today.

At home we’re rocking

• A 27" Late 2009 iMac
  • 2 MacBook Pro (Unibody)
  • 3x Mac minis, one configured as a server with 2x 750gb drives, the other 2 are single disks. All 3 are more than 3 years old but run like a dream. Server is running Plex Server & EyeTV, other two pretty much live in Plex.
  • 2x Apple TV (2nd gen) - these connect to Plex via Airplay from iOS devices.
  • 5 iPhones (4x 5S, 1x 6S)
  • 5 iPads (4x 3rd Gen/Retina, 1x 1st Gen)
  • 1 HP Microserver (Windows 7)
  • Plus my relics, all working but not used constantly… iMac G3 DV+ Ruby, G4 iMac & G4 PowerMac.

At work I’m rocking 2x 24" Apple Cinema Displays and my 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro which comes home with me.

Not using PlexConnect?

Could be, but when I first ran up Plex Media Server, I was using OS X Server’s DNS service to run apps that I was developing. Never really had a chance to set up and play with Plex Connect… I’m hanging out for the Apple TV App Store - word has it Plex is coming to that! :smiley:

I have an early 2013 15" MBP Retina I won through a competition with Smiths. Very lucky huh? The limiting factor is the 256GB hard drive.

That and an iPhone 5.

I’d actually prefer to have a 13" Pro. I’ve considered upgrading but those guys are just so expensive, especially if I get a 1TB hard drive.

I have a 2013 27" iMac (i7/4GB graphics) at my desk.

A 2010 aluminium Mac mini and a 3rd gen Apple TV connected to the television.

An IPhone 6S in my pocket. A stainless steel Apple Watch link bracelet on my wrist and an iPad Air 2 on my bedside table.

1 Like