2019 September Pre-order Thread

Do we (average consumer) need all this bandwidth?

Riding the wave into clean air space was always nice as an early adptor, but mostly no… unless mobile data is your only source of data, then probably.

Sure. Remember when 640K of RAM was all anyone would ever need?

1 Like

LOL ok, I asked for that.

Data, it seems, is a gas. It expands to fill its container.

1 Like

The biggest issue with mobile data isn’t currently the speed, rather it’s the amount of included data with mainstream plans. Only high end plans currently have that.

If 5G allows more data then great otherwise I don’t see the point of chewing up a quota that’s already not enough to stream for long in 4K.

OK?

Did I miss something? I don’t know why we’re having this conversation in the context of new iPhone pre-orders?

Best way to solve the data congestion would be to make advertising JS illegal.

Well, whether or not we ‘should pre order’ depends upon whether or not the 11 phones are a big enough improvement over the 10 series and one of the big reasons not to pre order is no 5G.

I’m not sure if this thread was supposed to be about pre ordering in general or strictly for people who’d already decided to preorder.

I’d assumed the former but if I was incorrect I apologize for the thread side track.

As much as you can say that no 5G is one of the big reasons not to pre-order, my post above earlier says that no 5G was one of the reasons I did pre-order, based on two things:

1. 5G being awful currently, for all the reasons that have been stated (current 5G tech limitations/availability/improvement over 4G/data caps/etc)
  2. …and likely continuing to be awful for at least the next year, if not two, by which time I’ll be up for another iPhone. Probably.

Even if we take 5G out of the equation, there’s still enough in the 11 Pro that makes me consider it enough of an upgrade over my current iPhone X. I might not have pre-ordered if I already had an iPhone XS, but that probably comes down to me being a guy who hangs onto iPhones for two years, more than it does the 11/Pro not having any compelling features over the XS. (I believe it does, but YMMV.)

I’ll be receiving my Pro Max on Friday! Can’t wait.

My XS Max has been really terrible when it comes to cellular connection. Almost every day it will lose its cellular connection and not load anything, until I restart. Setting aeroplane mode, toggling cellular data on and off will do nothing. It’s incredibly annoying, and even warranted a trip to the Apple store where they replaced the phone on the spot - unfortunately the issue still occurred on the new phone. Even got a new SIM from Telstra to make sure it wasn’t them - but the issue is still occurring. Can’t wait to be rid of it.

I agree with you that the 11 Plus has a number of compelling features over the X (which is really a generation 9 phone despite the naming). Notably the huge difference in battery life. That’d be enough by itself IMO.

I don’t OTOH think the 11 offers enough over the 10R (given that I’m also on a primarily 2 year upgrade cycle) for me to upgrade until next year.

I had an 11 am preorder pickup appointment at Chadstone. This so the queue I’m faced with just to pick up something I’ve already paid!

1 Like

Just got home from a short line up for a 5 Series watch. I got 44mm space grey aluminium, GPS+Cellular with anchor grey sports loop.

iPhones aren’t popular anymore apparently.

My iPhone is on board…

I have to wait til Tuesday for delivery. I don’t mind the wait anymore. Its not like it was in the heady days of the 3GS and 4 series iphones.

Picked up a pre-order Series 5 Watch at the George St Sydney Store at 10 am today. There were two lines, one for pre-orders of watches and phones, the other for walk-ups. The line for pre-orders outside the store was about a dozen or so. The line for walk-ups was around the corner. Apple does seem to be getting better at managing launches. Staff in the street checking reservations and times. I was served at exactly 10am. Walked out with my watch in under 10 minutes. I was told they had a night shift sorting all the orders into allocated times

1 Like

I can confirm that while getting a new shiny delivered to work means exactly zero effort on my part, having to wait until you get home to unbox + restore from encrypted iTunes backup is the worst.

1 Like

I went to Fountain gate last night to pick up my iPhone 11. All up I was in line for about 25 minutes.

I thought it was odd for an item I had already paid for, but it is what it is.

Really impressed with the 11. I’m upgrading from an iPhone 6 Plus. I miss the larger screen of the plus, but I just can’t justify the Pro Max price jump.

What I did find interesting is that once I was served, I still waited 5-10 minutes for the phone to come from out back. Whilst this was going on the attendant was trying to sell me all sorts of other items I didn’t want. Never had this before in an Apple store. Stuff like AppleCare, screen protectors and flogging their training programs.

2 Likes

I didn’t realise I could have pre-ordered my phone on Telstra through Apple (although on learning that I maybe remembered I did know that?). Anyway, Telstra Doncaster didn’t have their phones first thing so I had to wait until it was shipped to the store, but I did that because it meant I could just walk in rather than have to be waiting at home.

So I walked up to the Apple store at about 10 am, ignored the line and just walked into pickup my new watch, iPhone case and screen protector. I did ask the concierge person if I needed to line up (into the pretty short looking line) and they said I didn’t if I was just picking up…

After a little shopping I got a notification from Telstra that my phone had been delivered so I wandered back down and picked up the phone then went back to Apple to have them install the screen protector for me using their awesome little applicator tool box thing. Again, no waiting.

I was pretty surprised at just how quiet it all was.

Thoughts on the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

It’s fast, even compared to the iPhone 8 Plus I had it does feel like a step up.
FaceID is magical and also stupid fast. While my Wife has FaceID on her XS and iPad Pro I’ve never used it myself but I feel like I’ve taken to it without issue (compared to her who was constantly trying to press the home button for the fist few days).
Memoji. I’m excited being my first real use of it, love it!
That screen is just brilliant, larger and nicer than the 8 Plus.

The Apple Watch Series 5 44mm feel like is has a massively bigger screen than the 42mm series 3 I’m coming from. The always on it very nice.

I haven’t had a lot of time to play with either other than normal use as I have been travelling Friday/Saturday but I am loving the de-coupled screens in CarPlay which now allow different things on the different screens. It doesn’t appear that you can customise the “dashboard” screen on CarPlay which is a bit of a shame (being a Waze user), but the new interface does look much cleaner and seems to work better than the old one… so far!

2 Likes

Watch S5 is due for delivery today. I wasn’t impatient until now, but now I want it this instant!

1 Like