3D Printing Thread

Interested to see if anyone here is doing any 3D printing? I got into it a few months ago and built a K8200 from a kit you can get at Altronics/Jaycar. It’s a huge learning curve but pretty rewarding when you can do things like fix kids toys and make things for around the house.

I think the key to seeing what is possible is thingiverse.com - jump on there and have a search you’ll be pretty surprised what you can make and what people have designed. I’ll throw up some pics of things i’ve made when i’m back on my desktop mac

I am! I have a Printrbot Simple Metal with E3Dv6 hot-end. I use Simplify3D for slicing and a combination of OpenSCAD and Fusion360 for designing.

1 Like

Nice! so many ways to do it… I started using CURA and Repeatier Host and now i upload STL’s directly to an Raspberry PI 3 with Octoprint installed so it exists as it’s own little wifi based print server.

I’ve only printed with ABS but have a few different colours and the printer seems to work pretty well, it needs constant adjustment but the prints are good quality and i’ve enjoyed making things like door stoppers and cable management things along the way

Yeah, I was using Cura originally, and OctoPrint on a Pi (original model, no slicing) - these days I just have the printer hooked directly to my Mac mini and use Simplify 3D as the controlling host.

I have printed with both PLA and ABS - I much prefer PLA, it’s easier to print and doesn’t smell when printing!

1 Like