Apple kills off Aperture

As a Lightroom user I don’t feel too bad about this news — Aperture always seemed to play second fiddle to LR, anyway — but I’m sure there are people out there who have invested hundreds of hours into organising and editing their photos who will be reacting pretty badly to the news.

The interesting thing is that they’re also introducing Photos as a replacement for iPhoto, as well. In 2014, people’s photo needs have changed. No longer are people spending an entire weekend cataloging and organising their images into albums, events (if they ever were in the first place), all people want is a way to quickly find and edit the one image from the thousands they took from their time overseas. If that’s what Photos is going to let me do, then bring it on.

Thoughts?

I was a little bummed about the EOL announcement for Aperture but not surprised. I had started to think about alternatives as I had been finding Aperture to be a bit sluggish with such a large collection and restrictive in ways. The thing I probably didn’t plan so well was to keep my Aperture library as managed. I signed up with Backblaze at the start of the year and it took a few months to get my library (> 500GB) backed up. Now, depending on the upgrade process for Aperture to Photos, this might retain the internal file structure and be fairly painless from a backup perspective, however moving to a referenced model or another product like LR will mean having to re-backup all this data. I’m sure there are ways I could make this less painful like maintaining the internal folder structure or something, but I’m not sure I’m up for the effort involved.

I haven’t looked at the full features of LR and am interested in how it manages video as part of the photo library. A large chunk of my library (size perspective) is video, and I loved how Aperture allows you to setup albums and use starring etc to create smart albums, this comes in really handy for ATV screen savers, iDevice syncing etc. I will be interested to see how Photos takes this to the new level.

At the end of the day it could be that I take a two pronged approach and use something like LR to maintain/edit my raw photos/videos and publish the favourites and published versions to something like iPhoto/Photos. Best of both worlds?

I wonder if it will also store videos

1 Like

Lightroom has decentish support for video. It, too, has a smart collection of videos in your library, and while you can’t edit videos in the Develop module like you can with photos, you can use tags and organise videos just like photos, including rating them, editing metadata, etc.

1 Like

I have a massive iPhoto library that has many events and faces all sorted. Was hoping for a new revamped iPhoto this year. I hope the new app replacing iPhoto is a good.

I used to line up at my local reseller for the new iLife disks when they came out haha. How things have changed.

Aww man! :frowning:

Worst news I’ve read today! I love Aperture… Cataloging in it was awesome. Looks like than Adobe photography deal with PS and LR is looking pretty nice right now. :wink:

Just saw this one come up in my feeds, handy little comparison for those going the LR way… 10 things aperture users need to know about LR

I wonder if you will still be able to buy photo books from this new app?

My guess would be it depends on the popularity of it, it could end up going the way of the postcards app

Postcards app?

I know the one you’re talking about - never heard of anyone who’s actually used it though.

Yeah, that’s why they canned it lol