Apple Store Down! (12 Sep 17)

Just saw the last part of the Event. No surprises at all. I missed the stuff about the watch and appleTV, so will see that later but… meh.

Yep meh indeed, it seems to me Apple have lost their old “pizzaz” , stupid software to put your expression on an animal emoji. I’m sure it will sell phones but not to people like me who want a tool rather than a you.

I also find it quite amusing that it took 2 attempts for the face unlock to work in the demo, that really doesn’t bode well for the testing and reliability of this new feature, but again that seems to be the way of Apple today they simply do not test enough and iron out bugs they rush things to market.

3 Likes

I’m looking with interest at the new 4K capable TV as well but since I lost NBN when I shifted a few months back and I’m again on ADSL2+ I’m going to hold off until the NBN gets here.

I’ve got a 4K TV and a good sound bar but without enough internet speed to stream 4K there’s no point :frowning:

I dont have a 4K TV but had planned to get one sometime soon. Might get the new ATV first, its still good for FHD.

True, but in my case I already have an Apple TV 4 which does Full HD so no reason for me to update yet.

Yeah I was forgetting that. I dont need the new one, I was caught up in the moment. I dont need anything that was announced today :slight_smile:

1 Like

and this is exactly why Apple do these fancy-pants releases

Not really. If things were available right now to order or buy, sure, but Apple also give a cooling off period.

I wish I had a spare $1600. I want that phone. But I dont, so I wont.

Wouldn’t you be able to:
download the 4K iTunes movie to your Mac
Steam the movie from your mac to the AppleTV?

That would work in some cases (like for 4K iTunes content) but it wouldn’t help with 4K Netflix using the Netflix app on the new Apple TV. And can you can download rented movies or just owned ones?

Also it would mean waiting until the movie downloaded before watching it which is a pet hate of
mine. If I’m going to watch a movie then it’s almost always an impulse “I’m going to watch a movie because I’ve got some spare time” thing rather than being planned and having to wait 3 hours to download a movie before watching it.

So yes in theory… but in practice not for me.

Optus rep says can’t say if iPhone 6s plans are changing… …but check back Friday… Ok.

Out of all of them, the X would have to be the one most people want. I want it. But $1579 is a lot of coin, and I have a 6S that works perfectly (and for various reasons it cost me nothing). I would be completely nuts to upgrade. There is no valid reason to do so. Not to mention the fact that although, yes, it would make me happy for a little while, once the dust settles and you’ve showed it off to a few friends and then I get back to my daily routine, it will make absolutely zero difference to my life whatsoever. In fact I could sell my 6S and use my Nexus 5X and also my life would barely change as a result, apart from my messages would be green on other peoples phones when they used to be blue.

Have a think about WHY you are upgrading. If it’s just for a few moments of fleeting happiness, is that worth the $1579 you will be paying (and, presumably, the fun experience of trying to get rid of your old phone on ebay/gumtree/whatever)?

1 Like

Getting caught up in the excitement is often the only reason I do… but I have had to temper all of that with reality in the past 6 years. My 6S does exactly what I need it to do and I’ll upgrade when an OS upgrade brings it to a state of being (ie SLOW) that I can’t tolerate. IN the meantime, I’m actually not planning to upgrade anything, now.

Ok, so Optus must have a surplus of 6S 128GB…??

On their $40 plan, the iPhone 6S costs:
32GB = $30 ($70/month)
64GB = $35 ($75/month)
128GB = $20 ($60/month)

Basically it’s the best I could have hoped for. A “new” phone with heaps of storage (so sick of running out of room at 32GB), for the same monthly price that I was paying for the 5S years ago.

Seeing lots of comments about how happy people are with their 6S certainly helps this decision… though $25/month more than what I’m paying right now will be the deciding factor…

Have you considered buying outright, second hand? There’s bound to be a bunch turning up when the X is finally available and in peoples hands. Or you could buy from a reputable dealer of second hand phones.

So Apple refurbished…

because that’s basically the ONLY reputable dealer of 2nd hand phones.

The issue being that the maximum storage phones (or any model generally) are in short supply and tend to get snapped up quickly.

Hi @kyte. Certainly worth a look I guess. I did fairly well a few years back with some 2nd hand iPhones, though it did take some time finding the “right” Phone (ie price / quality / capacity - and winning the auction).

Looking on eBay now… I see the 6S second hand can still demand over $400… On the above plan, it would cost me $600 (more than I’m paying now) to get a new one… so I think I’d probably opt for new, with the ability to pay it off over 2 years…

And yes, @Geoff3DMN - I wouldn’t pay the “professional” type companies on eBay what they ask for “refurb” phones, because I’ve no doubt they don’t use Apple parts, probably just spit n polish them at best…

1 Like

I wonder why Apple does not sell refurbed iPhone and Watch? They do in the USA. Maybe scared of reduction of profit. I would buy an Apple Refurb for my next phone, in a heartbeat. But because its not an option, I buy new (and outright, I have no use for a “plan” and prefer to go prepaid)

If you were thinking ebay is where to buy a second hand phone, you are definitely better off going with a plan. I would not buy a phone sight unseen even if it was the cheapest in the world. Too many duds and empty boxes.