Low tier: 2017 SE
Mid tier: 2016 iPhone/iPhone Pro
Top tier: 2017 iPhone S/iPhone S Pro

2018:
Low tier: 2018 SE
Mid tier: 2017 iPhone S/iPhone S Pro
Top tier: 2018 iPhone/iPhone Pro

etc.

Are you saying you think this model will be replaced in 6 months and then refreshed every year? I don’t think that’s very likely.

I don’t think so, more likely it will be replaced a year from now (or maybe 18 months to bring it in line with the other iPhones) and the guts refreshed yearly. I could see them doing a new external design every two years, but I don’t know how long a lifespan the 4" form factor has. Are people still going to want them in 2018 or 2020?

Hopefully they will still be doing it then! I love the 4-inch form factor, and hope that I can still get one in 10 years!

1 Like

I must say. Since I’ve got my E-M1 and gotten back into photography seriously, the biggest use of my iPhone has gone from the camera to the Olympus app for geotagging photos. A 4" phone would suit me fine. But at the same time, the Olympus app’s quite taxing on the battery.

I blinked and there are 14 new posts in this thread - talk about active!

Air 2’s are now cheaper though - you can get one for $400 - and there is a refurb 128GB Air 2 wifi + cell for $600. In fact the refurb store is chockers at the moment. Things aren’t all bad.

And the SE is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for and is reasonably cheap. I am glad they didn’t change the body. Still the best looking iPhone ever in my opinion. Finally time to retire my trusty 5!

1 Like

Problem is that the Air 2 is too old to consider now if you’re looking for something that is going to last the distance.

I reckon the Air 2 will still be well supported for at leat 3-4 years. It’s the only 9.7 iPad before today that had the grunt to do split screen. Surely it’ll be running the latest OS for a good while…

I doubt that buying one now will match the longevity of the iPad 2, due to the massive increases the Pro (both models) have.

Sure, but I’m happily using an iPad Air (1) and have no desire to upgrade yet…

Obviously it depends on what it’s for, but my experience of an iPad Air 1 today is better than I remember the iPad 3 feeling after the iPad 3/4 came out!

What happended to the update of iTunes that was supposed to be announced ?

Sure, in the same way I’m still happy enough using an iPad 2 - But I wouldn’t want to be buying one now. Handing over $900 cash for an iPad that is getting on (1.5 years old) is not ideal, especially since I want something that will at least match the longevity of the iPad 2 (5 and a bit years of support by the time iOS 10 comes out, and possibly more if it receives further support). I can almost guarantee that buying an iPad Air 2 now will not result in a further 5 years of support.

I was wondering about that…

iTunes 12.3.3.17 was released this morning. According to software update it adds support for iPhone SE and IPadPro.

Not sure if it does any thing else

There is apparently a fairly big release coming soon… was expecting them to talk about it!

No there is supposed to be a big update being announced

Meanwhile, is it just me or does “Ipad Pro 9.7” not roll off the tongue as well as “Ipad Air 3”.

DEfinitely no iPad pro in my future, and perhaps no SE either. I’m still reasonably happy with my 5S so no real reason to change.

However, with a bit of a price drop on the Watch, and apparently a watch band being released (3rd party) which can detect and record arrhythmias, I’m likely going to be in with that. I’ll wait til I know more, though.

iPad Pro Mini would have been better imho…