Apple's October 2014 Event Wrap Up — Holy Pixels, Batman! Edition

Apple’s October event was teased by saying “it’s been way too long”. I’m still not really sure if that was a dig at how long it’s been since the iPad was last updated, or how long it’s been since the last Apple event, but maybe there’s a third option that was only unveiled on stage at the last possible. More…

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2014/10/apples-october-2014-event-wrap-up-holy-pixels-batman-edition/

The iPad Mini update is a huge disappointment for me. I’ve been holding out all year for the update and what they’re effectively asking for is an extra $130 for TouchID and a bit of gold paint. I’ll be holding off another 12 months with my ailing iPad 3 because I just can’t bring myself to buy last years technology and I really want a Mini.

The iMac looks impressive! I’m looking forward to reading the real world testing of it. If this thing can putt along as good as every other iMac then it’ll be a winner, even at that price tag. Interesting to watch the video about the technology behind it and I wish Apple spent more time on that stuff for us nerds. I am wondering how well it will respond to being calibrated by professionals but again real world testing will reveal all.

Have you all upgraded to Yosemite yet? I’ve been running the public beta. By and large it’s been ok. My only issue is that Safari stalls on loading pages every now and then. I’ve seen this issue in the past so lets hope they fix it again shortly.

1 Like

Anyone know what time preorders will open for the Air 2 ?

1 Like

Im getting an Air 2. Not sure which colour though. silver or space grey?

Some brief thoughts on the event:

Yeah, the iPad mini update kinda sucked. But on the plus side, if you don’t want to pay for $100 for Touch ID, you can get some super cheap refurbed units off the Apple Online Store at the moment. Pretty decent selection of colour and capacity too, at time of writing. As a first-gen iPad mini owner, I can’t see the point in upgrading (especially seeing as my iPad is only used for a bit of reading before bed).

The iMac is super impressive, both in terms of specs and price. But I won’t personally be buying one for two reasons: I can’t plug my PC into it, unlike standalone 4K displays, which kind of ties into one of the problems with iMacs and all-in-ones, and that’s upgrades.

A few years down the track, when you go to upgrade your computer, you’ll also be chucking out a display that is still top-of-the-line, all because the internals are out of date. It’s an interesting problem, because historically this hasn’t been an issue for Apple or any other all-in-one manufacturer before — but now that they’re putting displays with 7x the resolution of Full HD into them, it kind of is. It’s great that they’ve managed to get a 5K display off the ground (which should hopefully improve consumer adoption more than, say, consumer TV sets), but I’m a little apprehensive at it being an all-in-one solution.

Personally, I’ll hanging out for a standalone, 4K/60Hz/IPS panel for less than $1000, because I’ll be able to use them with my PC and my Retina MBP. I’m told early 2015 is when the magic happens :smile:

Dude, gold. Gold all the way.

1 Like