Apple's October 2016 Event Wrap Up, Emoji Bar Edition

I agree you with that most people don’t have the money to upgrade their MBP, but as you said, Apple is playing for the premium market. The premium market offers the highest profits, exclusivity, brand appeal etc. I was simply saying that because 90% of the premium market doesn’t upgrade, you focus on the 90% instead of the 10%. I think Apple’s direction has been clear and my complaint about Old Macs is that every week, week after week, he is whining about the lack of upgradability which is not going to change. We all know that, complaining about it week after week isn’t going to change.

Bare in mind that the $6K quoted is for upgrade graphics, 1TB of SSD etc which a typical user wouldn’t take. The base pricing is probably about the same as previous, there are simply more upgrade options now.

Which you still wouldn’t buy because you can’t upgrade it.

Yeah cause you obviously know what i’d buy better than me.

No, they couldn’t — but there’s no way that we could know for sure. Only Apple does.

And if the “port budget” was for 4 ports, and you had to choose between 3x non-proprietary, capable-of-providing-power-and-peripheral-connections USB-C ports and 1x MagSafe, or 4x USB-C ports that are functionally no different to MagSafe save for one feature, do you think that would have been a hard decision to make?

And it goes back to my point - the port budget should not have been sacrificed for uneeded levels of thinness. This is not the air, it Is supposed to be a pro machine.

I would choose MagSafe over 4 USB c ports, I’d rather one less port and a working laptop than 4 USB and a smashed/cracked laptop.

Bear in mind that this is the same Apple that didn’t bat an eyelid when they removed the headphone jack from the iPhone — by all accounts a risky move on a product that commands 60% of Apple’s revenue. Or maybe they did, I don’t know.

No-one’s talking about why it’s strange that Apple decided to put a second touch-sensitive area on a laptop that now has a massive trackpad. Hell, why didn’t they go whole-hog and just rip out the trackpad and replace it with an iPhone? Probably not such a crazy idea, given that it can accomplish the same thing that a Touch Bar can.

Instead all we get is “why Apple remove ports”. Apple’s in the business of removing ports, man.

LOL, sorry to have almost caused a medical event! I specced up my MBP to almost max by adding everything on top (I didn’t go for the 2Tb SSD which would have pushed the price to $6.5k or something) - and it’s for work so work is paying. :slight_smile: It ain’t coming out of my own pocket my friend.

2 Likes

There are definitely good points to the MacBook Pro update, the new processors, faster graphics, a thinner lighter laptop, better graphics and a much better screen are all worthwhile improvements.

And going to USB C makes sense (I just wish they’d done the same with the iPhone 7) and I understand removing the SD card slot (people like me who use it are in the minority).

I am however concerned that losing magsafe increases the chance of damaging my laptop, I see that as a step backwards, in my book the update is 3 steps forward and 1 back.

I was hoping for a bit more given the ‘hello again’ branding (but not expecting it).

The price increases aren’t great but then Apple have never been a budget company so that’s not my primary concern.

https://griffintechnology.com/us/products/power/charging-cables/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

This problem was solved in January if it’s important to you.

2 Likes

You can’t possibly know this.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just me but I’ve literally never had an event where Magsafe came into play, in however many years it’s been since Apple added the feature. How hard is it to be a bit careful about your power cable?

1 Like

I’Ve tripped over my cable so many times - I’ve destroyed a PowerBook and iBook tripping over the cable. MagSafe is one of apple’a best inventions.

I have to admit I was surprised they got rid of magsafe, but I can see why. I’m not sure it’s the right move going forward, but who knows, maybe they have a new cable coming, or perhaps some form of easy charging? Something like the apple watch perhaps? I also think losing HDMI is a bit of a bummer, I like being able to pretty much go to any hotel room and connect up the laptop to the TV. Unless I’m stuck in a hotel that hasn’t moved out of the 1990’s.

As for the event, I didn’t think much of it as a ‘hello again’ event, but as I’ve said to people who are constantly underwhelmed by Apple updates. Look at the products now, they’re pretty much perfect, so it’s just about playing around with the features and technology. Making them smaller, more robust. I’m not sure how much you can continue to change things.

I felt that Apple’s focus in the last 2-3 years has been elsewhere. The only major issue I have with apple products now, is the price, especially in Australia. But as many people have said they’re going for the higher end of town.

I think doing silent updates between major events is a better course of action, but Apple like to make a show out of everything these days, whereas, just updating the CPU and graphics in the current MacBook is enough for now. I mean, you don’t even have to make a big deal out of it, news sites will jump on those upgrades and everyone will hear about them quickly.

Why are we still complaining about MagSafe. If you can afford a new one, paying $30 for a Griffin version won’t be an issue. You could probably get Apple to include it in the deal if you complain enough at the Apple store

Well you seem to know who wants to buy upgradable machines better than Apple does. Pot calling kettle black perhaps?

If I’m using the laptop then I’m at random locations where I’m plugged into whatever power is available with the laptop perched (often precariously) on whatever sort of semi-level surface is available.

The magsafe connector has saved me multiple times from people walking past and kicking the laptop power lead or getting snagged in it (and to be completely honest on several occasions from me being klutzy).

At home with the iMac that isn’t an issue, not is it at my office.

When was the last time you were using a laptop, balanced on a small folding table hooked to a sine wave inverter, hooked to a deep cycle battery, hooked to a set of solar panels in a camp ground with a bunch of kids and dogs running around flat out?

Me that was a week this month.

1 Like

Apple don’t really care what users want and thus far their profit margins have meant they can have a tiny market share and make money by delivering what they want to make, and what makes them the most money.

Oh boo hoo! Apple doesn’t love me… waaaaa!

It’s a PRODUCT - if it doesn’t suit you, don’t buy it… but for the love of God, the incessant whinging from people sounds like you’re offended that Apple doesn’t think of you. They’re simply pitching their products at groups of people you don’t fit in.

5 Likes

If you’d read earlier I gave what was a mostly positive post about the new MacBook Pro and the only caveat that I mentioned was the deletion of the magsafe.

When I was questioned why that was an issue by tcn33 I explained why.

If you think that explaining an answer to a question after a mostly positive post about an upgrade is worthy of “Oh boo hoo! Apple doesn’t love me… waaaaa!” then I can only assume you’re trolling.

it’s odd that you think I was replying to your post. Did I quote you? no…

Maybe I hit the wrong reply button or something?