Apple's October 2016 Event Wrap Up, Emoji Bar Edition

I hate to weigh in with another complaint :joy:, but I am disappointed with the discontinuation of the 11inch MacBook Air. I feel like it was a good entry lev machine, especially for a parent who has to buy a computer for their year 4 student. In saying that, I bought him an older, second hand machine anyway, but with two younger kids coming through in the future of years, those will be harder to find and less capable…

1 Like

Oh boo hoo, someone’s comment about their beloved company on an online forum has offended me.

I’m not going to buy the thing and I wasn’t complaining about upgrablity this time, others brought it up, I was replying to a comment relating to that.

You didn’t quote anyone, which implied your comment was directed at all critical of Apple posts in the thread.

If you don’t want to be called on it then learn to be more specific.

I didn’t see you whinging, so how can you assume my criticisms were directed at you? Narcissist much?

And yet your post was spraying sarcasm at the entire thread?

Again, if your comment was directed at an individual then specify that individual or expect to get called on it.

2 Likes
1 Like

I think these new machines will be a difficult sell. It’s becoming harder to convince customers to come over to the Mac or even trade up from their older machine because the performance growth has slowed in recent years and the newer machines, while boasting some new features like the touch bar, don’t offer enough substance over style to convince these users to upheave their entire setup. Some users awaiting revised models before purchasing new machines were left disappointed this morning.

The immediate removal of current and readily available connection interfaces is likely to be a bitter pill to swallow for many, especially as the rather high price of admission in the Australian market doesn’t account for the required up-front investment in new devices, cables and adapters that come with that sudden switch to Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C. I’m not sure features such as the Touch Bar will do enough to entice buyers into making that initial investment either.

When it’s someone on a discussion forum complaining about the products Apple released, it’s one thing. But if the small sample set that comes in the front door is indicative of the sentiments of the average joe on the street, then consumers are starting to buy into the marketing and perception of Apple products and services as a premium experience less and less as time goes on. That’s my observation from across the counter.

Turning to service for a second, I’m curious to see the internals of these machines. Based on previous service trends of Touch ID enabled devices being repairable only by Apple service depots, I suspect that this product will not be serviceable by AASPs. The simple reason being that the tools necessary to pair the touch sensor and logic board aren’t made available to non-Apple employed technicians. Security wise it makes sense, but it does mean average repair turnaround times for Macs are about to become much longer.

1 Like

Well I might be in the minority, or at least amongst the posters on this topic: I am impressed by the features.

As a hobby, I video and edit using FinalCutX. The camera I have can record UHD 10 bit 422 wide colour space files.

The new 15" MBP specifications seem aimed at me;

A display with a wider colour space, I can colour correct using a wide colour gamut. Newer TVs with HDR or Dolby vision can display these files.
The taskbar integration with finalcut, which has received an upgrade, looks like a very practical addition.
Larger/faster internal HD options, I will be possible to edit shorter clips without resorting to proxy files and external HDs.

As someone who has owned Tape, SCSI , ZIP , firewire 400 and 800, USB1/2/3, express 34 ect, peripherals I have had a lot of accesories outdated by apple. But in the vast majority of cases I also had new cameras, external HDs, printers ect… that were a lot better and would not work with these older connections. And I will gladly update to USB3.1/ thunderbolt 3.

This is the first release that offers enough improvements that I will probably upgrade and sell 17"MBP.

1 Like

a good post.

Also a good post.

Personally speaking, I’m looking for an on location machine, and a streaming device back home.

I need 2 Thunderbolt ports minimum, a high-resolution display, SSD storage and good battery life.

The new 15" is right up my alley.

2 Likes

And add one of these for back home Non -Apple Apple Display?

It’s pretty nice, and a great price point. But I use an iMac and an Eizo display for colour work at the studio - so it’s all good!

Fuck me dead. This is the headphone jack all over again. I’m logging off for a bit see you guys in a week.

6 Likes

I like USB-C, I am just not happy everything else had to be dropped all at once and right now. It’s slightly premature from Apple but it’s not a huge issue.

What has to go next is Lightning. You cannot justify the removal of various ports on Macs while suggesting that Lightning on iDevices should stay. We now have:

• In-Ear Headphones with 3.5mm headphone plug,
  • EarPods with 3.5mm headphone plug, and
  • EarPods with lightning connector

when common sense would dictate that the only wired connector for headphones should be USB-C, and they would be usable on all new Apple devices. Not sure why the headphone port remains on the new Macbook Pros. The 12" Macbook should have USB-C on both sides, the Macbook Pro should just have 4 x USB-C and nothing more.

1 Like

That would certainly be more consistent.

I do like the space grey, I actually didn’t think they would introduce any colours.

Not sure how many predicted the TB3 ports. Let me clarify, the new Macbooks are advertised as having TB3 ports rather than USB-C ports!

I thought TB3 was compatible with USB-C rather than the other way round.

I was planning on upgrading but I will now stick with my late 2013 rMBP. I only wanted to upgrade rather than needing to. The price hike is laughable. The OLED bar was not necessary and is not groundbreaking. Touch ID was absolutely necessary, the rest of the Touch Bar meh.

Most of us do not live solely in an Apple world. My work, as are most, is a Windows shop, and most people are not ready to live solely with USB-C. So a brand new Macbook Pro has only USB-C while my brand new high-powered work PC has zero USB-C ports. I will wait a year or two and see how tech develops, be good also to give Intel some more time with their roadmap.

Couldn’t disagree more. The flexibility of 4 thunderbolt far outweighs the cost of adapters for me. Compare with every non-retina Pro laptop only having one. I love the flexibility.

Also, so glad that TB3 shares ports with USB-C. USB-C will become universal so it’ll be fine long term.

1 Like

Check this out:

The conclusion is telling:

I’m not saying I’m going to dump my iMac and pick up a Surface any time soon (although the fact that I had to wait weeks after its PC release to able to play Civilization VI on my Mac also gave me pause). There’s too much in the way of legacy software — and when it comes to functionality, Mac OS X Sierra beats Windows 10.

But for the first time in two decades, I’m giving it some serious thought.