Can't create genius playlists on iphone

Don’t know if this is a bug or if somethings up with my phone.

I can’t create genius playlists on my phone, whereas I can create them in itunes.

To try and fix it I deleted the genius info, and then turned it back on again in itunes. But for some reason the genius info isn’t syncing to the the phone, and there’s no genius option on any track I try in the marvellous new music app.

Is this happening for anyone else???

Welcome one, welcome all, to the death of dynamic playlists on iOS.

I’ve been meaning to do a little post about this for a while now, but every time Apple decides to update the Music app, they remove features. First they came for my folder playlists, and I said nothing. Then my Genius playlists, and now, outside of what changing playlists are offered as part of Apple Music, there are no ways to generate a playlist on iOS.

I mean, there’s the play queue, but it’s not the same, and adding a bunch of songs to it at once is a very tedious process of adding them individually.

Remember when the smart playlists on your device updated live as you went? Back in the days of iOS 6, if you synced across a smart playlist based on a rule that could be updated on the phone (e.g. five stars, or played within the last two weeks), that playlist would update when you marked a track as five stars or played tracks on your device. You’ve never been able to create smart playlists on iOS, but it would at least update them.

Folder playlists (an amalgamation of all the playlists within a playlist folder in iTunes) are gone now too, and I’m using Ecoute to get my folder playlists back.

I don’t use Apple Music, and Apple are slowly taking away my options for dynamically-updating playlists. I guess they want people to listen to what Apple Music recommends for them, or listen to Beats1 if they want dynamism.

I’m convinced it’s a bug though. There’s still a switch to turn on Genius in Music settings. But it doesn’t do anything. Remember how when you used to sync with itunes it would sync across your Genius Data (and take ages to do so?) It doesn’t do that any more.

Maybe I’ll post about it on Apple Discussion Communities for all the good it’ll do me. But yes, the music app sucks, particularly on the iphone 6 4.7" screen where all the icons are bloody huge. It would be awesome if there was an option to make everything smaller. Everyone at Apple must only use the larger plus sized devices.

Of course it all looks great on an ipad!