Coronavirus

Agreed, shops are packed this weekend and last. If/when there is an increase in infections it will be due to that, people back at pubs, and commuting to work again.

1 Like

Yep, thats why I am getting my supplies delivered again. I’ll do my own shopping (preferred) once the first flush of freedom is over. I mostly grocery shop at 6am anyway, and until the Great Toilet Paper Debacle, nobody else was ever there at that time. Its safe enough these days though.

Now that Melbourne is in Stage 3 lockdown and we’re having to wear masks, how far away is Touch ID from returning to the iPhone? I’m over having to type my passcode in multiple times every day.

I’ve been sent a video that contains the most effective public health message I’ve seen so far on Covid-19. It is of Scotland’s Minister for Health telling every one, in no uncertain terms, that unless people stay indoors during the lockdown that ‘We’re all gonna die’. The profanity-loaded delivery, in an attention-grabbing accent, should shock the most complacent Pandemic deniers.

There’s no problem forwarding the email to friends and I’d love to post the video here, with a warning about strong language and suggesting the children be sent out of the room as should anyone who is easily offended. I can find no way to post it as I don’t have an URL.

I don’t belong to FB or any other social media which seems to be the only way I can find.

Any suggestion? I’d run it by a moderator first.

Please post here. I’ll then post on FB (as no doubt, will others). I think I may have already seen it, but I cant remember, theres so much about.

Are you sure it’s not on YouTube or something like that already?

Thanks Kyte and Hawker. I can’t find that particular video on uTube or anywhere else. There are plenty of others from Scotland’s health minister. It has probably been taken down as ‘too offensive’ to come from a Gov’t ministry. As mentioned, I’m not on social media.

I can’t post it or I’d have already sent it to bennyling for vetting first. Given that those two Queensland women have just visited Melbourne and Sydney, apparently avoided the border checkpoints and/or lied on their pass applications then slithered back into Queensland with the virus, I don’t think the polite messages are cutting through to everybody.

I received it in an email, not as an attachment or a link to open. I can, and have, forwarded the email.

Kyte, if you want to PM me with your email I’ll send it to you. Just remember you’ve been warned about the language. ( I won’t share it or spam you!) It doesn’t bother me. Send it to a moderator here, too, or post it yourself if you know the limits. I just want to share it as a public service.

A board member asked for the email with the video so I’ve sent it so it may appear here yet. Hope it gets through to some of the idiots who are flouting the rules. Probably not though. They’re unlikely to be viewing anything their current influencer hasn’t promoted!

1 Like

I think I have now seen this, it was sent to me in a message on facebook. Its hilarious :slight_smile: Is your the one with Nicola Sturgeon, but the audio from another person who’s not afraid of bad language?

It probably is that one . I don’t do F/B and don’t know who did the substitute audio. I think it has the type of shock value that’s probably necessary to get through to some of the idiots who don’t get it yet.

2 Likes

Not meaning to make light… cos this potentially could set us all back into lockdown again… but - my first thought…

1 Like

Can’t believe there’s debate about not reinstating hotel quarantine… Sure, there’s debate about how severe Omicron is, but given we already have cases in Australia, we’ve a better chance at containing it if they act NOW… than in another few weeks when we have better answers.

Barnaby Joyce is an ass:
‘We can’t shut down every time there’s a new variant’: Joyce flags ‘tempered, sober’ approach to Omicron variant

1 Like

Scott Morrison keeping to his word to take action against trolls and bullies :laughing:

1 Like

So… Are you still wearing a mask?

I believe even VIC has now dropped any requirement to wear a mask - even though they still recommend it. VIC has been getting 6k - 10k cases per day for months now…

I myself (and my family) had COVID in late March, and are just starting testing again now. My wife and I have been asking each other if we feel we should or shouldn’t wear a mask when we’re going out… Not particularly wanting it again (!) as I was left near breathless for about 3-4 weeks… and that was with 2 vaccinations.

But with less and less requirement to wear masks… well - far fewer people are wearing them… though they are still a regular sight.

Not sure what I’m saying here… lol.

I’ve got covid at the moment. I’ve had three jabs. I’m as sick as a dog. Never thought it would be this bad! But I’m more worried about how it might affect me going forward.

Not really sure what I’m trying to say here either… :flushed:

:frowning: Sorry to hear you’ve ended up with it. Was talking to someone at work the other day who still hadn’t had it (at least, as far as she was aware). It is inevitable now at some point going forward, only good thing is we’ve postponed it, we got what help we could (ie immunisations), we luckily ended up with some less lethal strains (presume I had Omicron)…

I had about 3 bad days of “flu like” symptoms, aches, fever, etc… then really was “ok” - except - ANY kind of activity - even just walking from one room to another - left me breathless. I am asthmatic, so maybe that was a factor… Meanwhile my 14yo, who we’d been worried about from Day 1 because he takes immuno-suppressants, and he’s also asthmatic… had about 2 days feeling not great, and that was it.

Long Covid is sure a scary thought…! None of us have any signs of it thank god… but I guess any subsequent infection could potentially be a risk for that. Hope you pull through ok!

I work in IT in a public hospital, so I imagine we will need to continue wearing a mask at work for the foreseeable future, perhaps another three months at least. I’m triple jabbed, have to be if I want to keep this job, and I had my flu shot last month. We may also need to get a 4th shot this year. Yet to get symptomatic covid and while no one in my department had tested positive until late December last year, many then started to get it. We went from 0 to 12 infections within a month. I doubt there was much if any transmission between my colleagues as a few of them are working from home. I have my own office which probably helps avoid close contact.

I sometimes take public transport and will always wear a mask, although I see a few people that do not. I wonder if those people ever wore masks in 2020 or 2021. The only other places I wear a mask is in rideshares, at the GP or dentist, or if I want to be particularly respectful somewhere. I have not been wearing a mask at the supermarket, mall or restaurants, but it has definitely crossed my mind, and I might start again. I have not been on a plane for 4-5 years and the next time I do, I would wear an N95 mask even if it was not mandatory.

And for the record, my doses were AstraZeneca, AstraZeneca then Moderna. If I get a 4th, I’ll be getting Pfizer just to mix it up.

1 Like

Thanks.

I had the same. Didn’t have the slightest problem with any of them.

I might add that I had the full on Flu (not just a bad cold) roughly 20 years ago. I was probably a bit sicker than I am now. That was the sickest I have ever been including having glandular fever maybe 15 years before that. I couldn’t get out of bed for three weeks but I made a full recovery & it never effected me again. The problem with covid is that nobody really knows how badly it can effect you later in life…

2 Likes

We still try to live a full life, but we take some precautions.

We wear masks on public transport, at the doctors and anywhere else it is mandated. I also mask up at school where I teach STEM (as volunteer through CSIRO) and as a volunteer at an NDIS care facility. I also wear a mask if there is any suggestion I may have COVID, the flu, or even a cold, out of respect for others.

I have had four COVID shots (AZ, AZ, Pfizer and Moderna) and a flu shot.

When we eat out, we rug up and select an outdoors table. If no outdoors table is available, we go elsewhere. We avoid crowds and socially distance all the time.

No doubt we will get COVID sooner or later, but the longer we can avoid it, the more the experts will know about it and about how to treat it.

The news that Peter Sagen, one of the world’s best road cyclists, is suffering his third bout of COVID, suggests that catching it once provides little protection from catching it again. So ongoing precautions seem prudent.

2 Likes