Coronavirus

Went to an open house today. Real estate says - don’t worry about taking your shoes off. (Been raining a lot of the morning - and I noticed on exiting - he had taken his off when he entered!) Inside the house - there was a box of masks, and a sign - “Shoes Off, Masks On”. No one took heed of it. Awkward part was when I realised whilst we’d seen a car pull out of the house when the agent arrived, there was a teenager sitting at a stool in the kitchen who clearly wasn’t looking at buying. Mind you - he wasn’t wearing a mask either…

Interesting now with Albo calling the COVID meeting forward. I am wondering what a Labor federal government will mean for restrictions - presumably wasn’t on Albo’s radar as soon as he took office. Given the death rate, I’m happy if we are directed to go back to masks, and distancing, and even signing in, but I suspect at most we’ll just get masks in major populated areas.

It’s just… ironic doesn’t even cover it… when we worked so hard to avoid spreading the thing, and now we’re losing more than we ever have, and there’s essentially no limitations on how we are living.

A new person has just started at my work, and I’ve been training them. Since the first order to work from home in March 2020, they have been working from home. No kids, not sure if they have a partner, basically admitted to having been a hermit for 2 years, rarely going out. So - they were sitting next to me with a scarf on… and often were pulling the scarf up over their face. Almost offered to wear a mask, as I keep one in my satchel. They didn’t wear one (scarf) on the 2nd day of training… maybe feeling a bit more at ease.

(And, I say “they” to de-identify their gender, cos SO many people are coming to AppleTalk these days, I’d hate for them to see this and feel uncomfortable about me telling this story. Certainly not having a go at them - I can appreciate their situation.) (And that’s not a dig at the efficacy of AppleTalk, either…)

Social theorists refer to what ‘we’ are experiencing as a form of fatigue - in terms of people wanting to not think about COVID, not wearing masks, etc. (this is seperate to conspiracy theorist/anti-vaxxers, etc). This is the social-political context and why we are not seeing governments respond in the same way as before.

The other side is that, with all of this, we are effectively exposing vulnerable and already marginalised members of society (immuno-compromised, other health issues, older people) to serious illness and death. The numbers speak for themselves.

Then we have the impact on the health system, which was also a significant factor in past lockdowns.

How societies are reacting-I’ll be looked back on in a few years. That said, the history of western societies are ripe with examples of poor treatment of vulnerable and marginalised members, and little is done to address or change this… it’s not a nice state of affairs.

Yes - my mum is worried about my brother who has Down Syndrome, though they’ve thankfully managed to get 2 doses into him. My parents themselves though are 75, so in a high risk group, and it worries me when they no doubt eventually get it, how they’ll go.

And at the same time whilst I do try to be “good” about not spreading germs in general, I’m still not back to wearing masks… We’ve started sending the kids with masks to school again as it is “recommended” but told them they don’t “have” to wear them unless instructed…

I’m pretty much back to normal now, thank God! Can’t believe I was sick for so long.

My wife’s mum & step father had it a couple of months before me (they’re both well into their 80’s) & they weren’t very sick at all.

I’m back to home delivered groceries, meds, and so forth. Masks are no longer optional for me though I really don’t much like the P2 ones I bought, because I can’t seem to get them to seal properly so I may as well not be wearing them, or else, go back to blueys. I had a couple of 3M masks which were a perfect and comfortable fit. Going to find them again.

Yes, I’ve had my 4th jab. But that was 3-4 months ago and I’m not confident of having much immunity left at this stage. I think I’m just going to remain socially isolated as much for me as for a couple of friends recently diagnosed with the dreaded bowel cancer.

Just not prepared to take chances at my age.

[edit] Found the 3M masks on Amazon.

3 Likes

Schools here in VIC are now instructing students to wear masks, so I’m thinking now we will just get “back in the habit” and wear them when out. I really don’t want COVID again… or to pass it on. I’m not aware of any of us having passed it to anyone last time, but - who knows in reality.

1 Like

Oh, wow. Have they been doing the free tests you get in the post every couple of years?

I see their advertising has ramped up quite a bit recently.

Nope, and nor have I. I know I should but…

It’s human nature I guess…

Same. I was just given something called Evusheld, which is two types of monoclonal antibodies (it comes as two injections, in the buttocks no less) and available to the immune compromised. I’ve had no obvious side effects from it and it was free for me.

Like the vaccines, it won’t necessarily stop you from getting Covid, but it will reduce the chances of getting very ill. I’ve been isolating for years due to immune system issues and my doctor recommended this so that I can reduce the risks of getting out a bit.

I hope by Winter next year we have updated vaccines. New influenza vaccines are released each year, we should not be persisting with covid vaccines developed in 2020.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Its just insane to be trying to make vaccines which were developed to combat the Wuhan strain and a couple of others, and which don’t do a lot to mitigate Delta and Omicron. I read somewhere (probably the Guardian) that a virologist (no name, can’t remember) suggested that the BA.4/5 strain is so far removed from the original Omicron it might as well have its own name.

And I wish UQ would get moving on its CLAMP vax. That sounded really promising.

One of my wife’s co-workers has covid, so now she has to test for 5 days, wear a mask when out of the house, and not go out too often, but can still go to work etc etc etc.

So, that’s been a good impetus for us all to start wearing masks when we go out, and start using up the mountain of RAT tests we have…

I didn’t really stop except on a couple of occasions when I forgot.

1 Like

Today - in the office, and everyone wanted to know why I was wearing a mask…

Do you work with idiots? Who would ask such a stupid question?

1 Like

I didn’t stop wearing masks, and my work had re-started daily RAT tests…

The health situation is as bad as it was previously, the political situation is different (‘everyone’ wants to think it is over)…

I want to use the idiot sandwich meme for this

2 Likes

Today’s federal parliament church service was rather telling. Disregarding why the service is even a tradition, but it was unsurprising to see one side wearing masks and the other side mostly not. You’re inside, not social distancing, and it’s too difficult for most on one side to show some decency.

In defense of “my work” (even thou they’ve just let me know they’re not renewing my contract so I’m looking for work again)… I started there in June of 2020 - right near the start of everything. The owner offered cash incentives to get vaccinated, very strict on the space/occupancy quotas, etc, and there was never any doubt - if you were not well, stay home, go home, don’t go to work.

But yeah - now the government urgency is gone, the attitude is very lackadaisical except to those who know it will most negatively impact them.