DIY Repairs

Those prices above are the current “battery replacement” pricing. The standard out-of-warranty parts prices are much higher.

That’s the problem - Apple charges the AASPs $216.70 inc. tax for the part, and the service provider is expected to accept a profit difference of $72.30, to cover technician wages, shop tools and consumables, time to perform the repair, the time to process paperwork and documentation with Apple, process part orders and returns, and run a comprehensive suite of diagnostic tests. It amounts to at least a good few hours all up.

Even if it were on the shorter end of the scale - 2 hours non-stop, flat out - that’s $36.15 an hour. (Because it’s an out-of-warranty repair, I don’t believe Apple provides a labour tier to the service provider either, because the customer is expected to pay for labour.) Not exactly enough to sustain a business on. So the AASPs have to charge more than the Apple Store, which drives customers toward the cheaper option.

I wouldn’t want to own or operate an AASP in this day and age. Between the thin margins on repair and the thin margins on retail, I’m surprised the ones that are around can sustain a business at all.

Kyte, Not sure if you mean you don’t want to change the battery or just commenting on the fact it needs to be done. Anyway I just wanted to say you should probably do it. I replaced the battery in my old (2006) MacBook, without any problem, after it became seriously swollen. Your model may be more complex so check that first. Good luck.

I guess you didnt notice the date of my post, Buttercup. It was January 2016. I’d be in trouble if I hadnt done it by now :slight_smile:

OOPS! No I didn’t, Kyte. Guess you pulled it off. :blush:

TS4?

Apparently I need a Pentalobe TS4 screwdriver to enter the MacBook Air.

I understand - I’m a decade late to this discovery… But - the outrage is still the same.

eye rolling laughter here.

I guess I’m not opening this baby up for a few days at least then.

Congrats, Apple. You’ve cost a small percentage of your user base yet more money and wasted time.

Thankfully the TS4/P5 Pentalobe drivers have become a bit more commonplace since Apple started doing that, so at least they’re available.

As a matter of fact, the Pentalobe is now so popular, that from 2016 revision MacBook Pro onward, Apple have started using them for some internal components as well, but an extremely tiny version that requires an even smaller P2 Pentalobe driver to remove. Making things even easier, the heads are also prone to stripping out, even when using the official Apple screwdriver bit.

Brilliantly engineered piece of kit. At least, I’m sure they think so.

At first glance I thought I’d have to pay around $30 inc post to get one from a US seller, but then found an Aussie selling them at $6 each, so hopefully I’ll have one here in the next few days.

I just can’t understand the psychology of it all. In this day and age, as I’m sure this change showed - it was only a matter of time before their “security” offers no real resistance to DIY.

OK - their software measures are going to be more of an issue…

Bugger. Even using a $6 screwdriver it seems the heads are easy to strip. :frowning: Buggered 1 screw - which I’d noticed wasn’t sitting flush when I opened the case… when then closing it back up, obviously gave it a bit too much pressure trying to see if it would go flush… So if I ever need access to the machine’s insides again, it’ll be off to my father in law’s to use his workshop.

Machine was dust free at least.

The Pentalobe screws are junk. Most Apple screws are. Ridiculously soft metal. No wonder they sometimes recommend replacing them after a single use.

Pretty sure I have some extras around if you ever needed replacements. Probably have some genuine SSDs around too, but chances are they’re all 128GB.

About to tackle another repair of my own. Had another machine given to me from an AASP last week, 2015 13" MacBook Air that was diagnosed with a bad SMC. Going to reassess it since issues with the SMC aren’t necessarily the chip itself.

Otherwise the enclosure is in good condition, and I can swap in the i7 / 8GB board and 512 SSD from another machine I have with corner dents.

I did indeed, new battery, 8GB RAM and a new 250GB SSD. Works well.

And now for something different.

Silicon Graphics workstations were the machines that rendered the 90’s, generating special effects for Hollywood films like Jurassic Park and Terminator 2, and their hardware served as the architectural foundation for the Nintendo 64.

I’d never expected to see one in person, let alone own a complete one, but here we are. A Silicon Graphics Indy c. 1995. 175MHz NEC/MIPS R4400 processor, 128MB RAM, dual 1GB SCSI drives and a 24-bit colour graphics board.

They’re an extremely difficult machine to configure. The handbook that documents installing the operating system and applications is 319 pages long. Installation requires no less than 7 CDs, or 10 with developer tools.

I’m working it out, albeit rather slowly.

These machines have their own distinct startup sound, and a shutdown sound as well. They’re certainly something else though.

3 Likes

Wow that’s an interesting bit of history!

I am having a hard time however reconciling T2 and Mario64…

:slight_smile:

The difference between a $250,000 workstation pre-rendering and a $200 console rendering in real time. Somewhat of a minor decrease in detail. :grin:

:yum:

Wonderful find iMic. I have two Indy’s but no where near as well configured as yours (100MHz R4k, 32 MB RAM, 8 bit GFX). With those specs it should be able to run IRIX 6.5 quite well.

The machine runs IRIX 6.5.22 reasonably well. I’ve connected it to the internet, and browsed around from Firefox 1.5 MIPS3 for a while, but haven’t found any use for it otherwise. Most application packages in the Nekoware archive are compiled for the MIPS IV architecture and are incompatible with the Indy’s R4400 MIPS III CPU.

An interesting machine, but not a particularly useful one. Probably more of a shelf-piece than anything, something to bring out for the occasional demo at events.

The keyboard seems nice though; I think it has Alps mechanical key switches, but I haven’t checked which ones yet.

It’s wonderful to see that this thread had a good life after I started it 5 years ago! And now - I’m resurrecting it to report on my “frugal repair” today!

MacBookPro5,5 (2009, 2.26GHz, 5GB/140GB)

I’ve just purchased a 2012 i5 Mac mini to take over HTPC duties in my bedroom from my wife’s old MacBook Pro.

Rather than try sell it (and only get $90, based on recent sales on eBay), my wife suggested that our 2 youngest kids could share it. They are 8 and 6, and already very tech savvy with their iPads. The 8yo has spent the past few weeks obsessing over the idea of getting a TypeWriter, so he could write all his stories… so he was excited by the idea of having his “own” computer to use instead.

The plan however is subject to several issues:

1. The trackpad button is dodgy,
  2. Battery…? and
  3. It could use a new HDD

I was looking at buying a new trackpad - $50 - but then saw a video on YouTube, showing the cause of the button clicker problem - the metal clicker wears out the metal contact over time. But, if you carefully peel the clicker off, and then re-stick it slightly off centre, it will make contact with metal again, and should work.

I have a general hate for glue/adhesives, but thought this was worth a try, so I opened up the MBP - with 2 eagle eyed kids watching on - and followed the instructions from the YouTuber. Carefully used a blade to peel the sticker off, and then ever so slightly re-adjusted it. Put it all back together again, and - had to hand the computer over to the new owners for them to perform testing. :slight_smile: Voila! The button works again! No need to press it like you’re doing CPR.

Regarding the battery… it says it’s got 88% health, however it is 7 years old, and has sat connected to power full time for the majority of those years, so - I’m not sure what it’s going to do now that it’ll start cycling again as the kids use it. Hopefully it’ll last for a while… but if not, rather than shelling out $60 for a new battery, I think the kids will just have to make do with it plugged into the mains. I ran the battery flat today, and am now charging it full again. No idea if that means anything to modern batteries, but it made me feel better. :slight_smile:

As for the HDD… I checked it out, and it has well over 58,000 hours, so although it’s passing the SMART checks, it is being flagged due to the number of hours. It is the original HDD from 2009, so it’s had a good innings.

I do have a brand new 1TB 2.5" spinning drive laying around that I could use (it was for my brother’s Apple TV, but that venture failed…), but - it looks like I can pick up a 250 or even 500GB SSD for about $50 second hand, so I think I’ll go that route given the amazing speed boost.

Lastly, I’ll upgrade it to 10.11 from Mavericks…

Coming Next Time…
iMac 24" Early 2009
This was my main machine before I got my MacPro. It was crashing particularly when playing video, but then seemed to be running ok. I suspect it was an external drive causing the crashes… I’ve just tempted my PC-loving son with it, and he seemed interested, so I better follow through now and try to win him back… (Don’t know where I went wrong! Games, he says…) I think a SSD is in order here as well… and luckily - I’ll get to do a test-run in a few weeks when I open my dad’s dying 2008 iMac to remove its SSD (salvaging it for my 2012 Mini, when I set up his new M1 iMac…)

It’s feeling good doing these “hands on” jobs. I know I’m no pro, but I like that things aren’t going to landfill…

2 Likes

Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks - USB cable

Background: Three years ago I picked up a set of the 2000-era Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks with subwoofer for $35 “as is”, to go with my G4 Cube - just like I’d seen and loved at the iShop in Darwin all those years ago.

They were cheap because the owner couldn’t verify if they were working or not. Turned out - not. The male end of the USB cable was badly rusted, and the other end connects directly to the logic board in the woofer - not something you can simply disconnect and replace with a new cable.

Cleaning the rusted connector made no difference, so I cut the rusted end off, and then cut one of my similarly clear USB cables, and twisted the matching coloured wires together as a make-shift test (and - because I wanted to have an “all clear” cable). This worked well - both the sticks and woofer sounded clear even at high volume, although there was a noticeable hum…

To make the connection permanent, I watched a few vids on YouTube, as my soldering skills were as rusty as the plug. I saw that heat-shrink was the way to go for this kind of mid-cable connection, so picked some up off eBay for a couple dollars, and… … …3 years later (today!), soldered all 4 wires, shrink wrapping them individually, wrapped some foil around them as the shield was not meeting (improvised that for better or worse…) and then another heat-shrink over the entire “repair”. Looks like crap, but so long as it works, right? :slight_smile:

Hooked it up to the Cube, and selected my test song - Dumb Things by Paul Kelly. (Appropriate?) Got about 3 seconds into the song, with the music thumping nicely! - And then it started squawking like a dying modem?!

Tried squeezing the repair section of the cable, and the Cube shut down! Thankfully it’s ok - but presumably I’ve got a short.

So, ROUND ONE goes to the Sticks.

I’m going to cut the top layer of heat-shrink off, to see if I can spot the issue. If not - I’ll start over, as this has kind of become a “big deal” for me; having put it off for so long over concern that I’ll fuck it up, or that it wont look as good as I want it to look - instead of just doing it and being able to enjoy my Cube that I was so excited about when I bought it 6 odd years ago.

If I still can’t get it working with the “cable to cable” repair - I’ll take what will probably be an easier option, and buy a male USB connector to solder the wires onto. I couldn’t find a “nice” looking one when I looked - which was why I wanted to try the cable-to-cable repair - cos it would look nicer. But it’s not like this Cube is going in a Museum.

If I still can’t get a win - I’ll open the Woofer, and check out the connection on the logic board. There wires go into a white plug - can’t tell how the wires are secured, but maybe it’s just a “pinch close” mechanism… and I can use another clear USB cable.

Then… comes the hum. From what I’ve read, it sounds like it’s a problem with the power brick shorting somewhere, or dry capacitors. Looking at the board inside (cos the power brick is clear!), seems like reasonably simple de-solder and re-solder to replace the caps… Not something I’ve done since high school, but - I’ll have a go.

I just cut off the outer heat-shrink. The power (red) wire’s heat shrink had split, and so would have shorted against the shield/foil. Too much heat when I did the last layer of heat-shrink, I’m guessing… wire is a lil blackened, and the Cube can no longer “see” the speakers even with the shield removed.

I’m going to buy a male connector, re-cut the existing cable to get a fresh start, and hope everything’s OK…

2 Likes

1 of 4 conversions to SSD completed!

MacBookPro 2009 - probably the easiest of all, now running a 240GB WD Green drive. Only annoying part - I downloaded the El Captain installer on my MacPro (5Gb), and then connected my USB HDD dock with the SSD so I could instal the OS. But, the installer wouldn’t work because the MacPro is on Sierra (a higher OS). How annoying! This machine is now for my 6 and 8 year old boys, so am setting it up with games and stuff for them. The trackpad takes a bit of getting used to when you’ve grown up using an iPad! Click-dragging… Oh lord!

Next will be…
MacMini 2012, which will also be a plug’n’play for my 2nd 240GB WD Green (got both off eBay for $44ea). I’ll use the HDD dock again, and clone the existing drive to the SSD, as it’s already set up how I want it.

Followed by…
iMac 24" 2009 - I’m glad I’ll get a test run inside an iMac when I pull the SSD out of my dad’s 20" iMac next weekend… before then using that SSD in this machine. I think it’s what worries me the most… Lot more steps than the other machines, and - I am keen to get this one up and running for my 14yo son, who keeps talking of saving his pocket money to buy a PC. :roll_eyes:

And lastly…
G4 Cube - I am waiting on an IDE to SATA card ($38), and a 120GB WD SSD ($36) for this job. I am expecting issues with this, as from what I’ve read, once you add the IDE/SATA card, the screw holes don’t line up for the mounting bracket… but I’ll see what it looks like when I have it here in front of me. I have a Dremel, and am not against adding a new screw hole if need be…

I’ve done a couple 2011 iMac SSD installs. It’s not particularly difficult, but is rather time consuming due to the amount of steps. May have been because I did HDD upgrades at the same time, but it was fine. My biggest concern was getting dust stuck behind the screen and having to look at it all the time as it would drive me nuts. Luckily I didn’t have that problem.

1 Like