Favourite iPhones and iPads

I’m just wondering what everyone’s favourite iOS devices are/were and why :smile:

My favourite iPad is the iPad 2 - It was a great tablet at the time and it has lasted forever. I love the form factor, as the iPad 3 and 4 were thicker and heavier - it wasn’t till the iPad Air that the design got thinner again.

In terms of the iPhone, my favourite is probably the iPhone 4. While I didn’t like the glass back in terms of practicality, I still think the iPhone 4 is one of the best looking iPhones. I love my 3GS, but the 4 really pushed the design of the iPhone forward. The Retina Display and cameras were a big step forward and it just had a great feeling in the hand. I had an iPhone 4 between April 2013 and April 2014 and even with iOS 6 and 7, I loved it - The battery was much better than my iPhone 5.

My favourite iPad as shortlisted as it was was the iPad 3. It was my first iPad and I liked the Smart Cover design back then (I’ve got smart case for my Air 2 and it’s just not the same). I also had the tan leather case and it wore beautifully. Especially after it somehow got a couple of coffee cup stains on it. I wish I’d taken photos of it before j threw it out.

Favourite iPhone. Probably either the 3G S or 4. The 5 in retrospect I didn’t like as much. I will stay the 6/6S is the first iPhone I’ve been really happy with the case options for though.

Also. I always go black devices. I think the white ones look really good as well, but I’ve (jokingly) given my friends enough stick about owning white devices in the past they’d never let me live it down if I owned one.

The Watch. I really love the Space Black Stainless with link bracelet (I like Star Wars, black coffee, stout and porters and dark haired women) but I have the regular stainless with link bracelet. Reason being is I reckon there’ll be a better variety of third party bands later and stainless is more neutral when wearing a suit etc, also I had a black iPhone 5 which was as champhered as all hell and I didn’t trust the anodisation as a result.

Air 2 - 128GB, TouchID and the insane thinness mean I’ll be holding onto this one for a good long while.
6s Plus - it was either this or the 6 Plus due to the 5.5" screen, and with double the RAM the 6s gets the win.

Space grey or GTFO :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I loved my OG iPad mini, but when it depleted an entire charge during a 45 minute meeting spent taking notes in Evernote, that was it. I traded it in at Covent Garden immediately after on my way back to the office for an Air 2.

I was sold on swapping to the iPad mini 4 following its announcement, until I realised that it had the previous generation’s chipset. Now, I think I’ll be hanging onto the Air 2 for a long time (the mini lasted me 3 years).

My favourite iPhone is whichever one I have with me :smile:

iPad 4 for being the first retina iPad. I use my iPad to consume TV shows and movies.

iPad 6 Plus for being the first iPhone 5.5 inch phablet and better battery life.

iPad Mini 4 for creating a lighter more easily transported iPad with most of the power of the iPad Air 2 (which is a bit too large and heavy to be carried around without being in some sort of bag).

iPhone 6 (and 6S) for being the correct balance between too narrow (iPhone 4 and 5) and to wide (6+ and 6S+) for my hand size.

My favourite iPhone doesn’t exist - it’s the iPhone 6C. I love the look and feel of the plastic 5C so if they ever update the C model I’m all over it. But for what I’ve owned in the past the iPhone 4S is my favourite, it’s a beautiful design without the ugly antenna bands on the back.

Favourite iPad? Probably the new Mini but I’ll never afford one. Just wish they’d put front facing speakers on them.

Pretty sure the iPad 3 had Retina…

It did, I owned one before my iPad Mini 2.

The 3 was basically a refreshed iPad 2 with a retina screen and a faster video processor to handle the extra pixels.

Unfortunately though, the GPU didn’t have the horsepower for the Retina display. My Mum’s iPad 3 coped with iOS 6 and iOS 7 worse than my iPad 2 on the same operating systems. However it does have double the ram, which means a bit less reloading, though a lot of that ram would go towards shared graphics memory.

True, my iPad 3 used to stutter and stall quite a bit more than any of the other iPads we’ve owned.

The GPU upgrade gave about more GPU power but as you say not enough to compensate for the (roughly) 4 times as many pixels.

It was well and truly out classed by the original iPad Air and it had one of the shortest product cycles of any of the iPads (no doubt because of the issues mentioned).

Yes, I don’t think the iPad 3 was very well thought out at all. It took forever to charge, was thicker and had less battery life than the iPad 2 - that being said, I know numerous happy iPad 3 owners.

I’d like a 6C if it was 4 inches or a 6S Mini.

2 Likes

Don’t you mean, the 4th gen was basically a refreshed iPad 3 that fixed the sluggish performance issues and added a lightning port?

1 Like

The 4th Gen (ie the original iPad Air) was basically an all new design.

The iPad 3 retina was a 2 with alterations (that’s ‘refreshed’ or ‘updated’ design in my book).

YMMV

No, there was an iPad inbetween the 3rd gen and the original Air. The 3rd gen was only on the market for about 6 months. The 4th gen was a minor revision and spec bump (to resolve performance issues) and had a lightning port and supported our LTE spectrum (as Apple got shitcanned for advertising it here)d

Ahhhh my bad, I do remember that ‘update’ happening.

However I’d assumed it was just a running update to the 3rd generation, not that it was regarded as the 4th generation.

This is correct. Apple called both of them “The New iPad” at stages, then “iPad With Retina Display”, but they are referred to as the iPad 3 and 4.

(1st Generation) iPad 1 (January 2010) - A4
(2nd Generation) iPad 2 (March 2011) - A5
(3rd Generation) iPad 3rd Gen/The New iPad (March 2012) - A5X
(4th Generation) iPad 4th Gen/iPad with Retina display (October 2012) - A6X
(5th Generation) iPad Air (1) (October 2013) - A7
(6th Generation) iPad Air 2 (October 2014) - A8X

All good. Depends on how you look at them I guess.

Definately my iPhone 6 Plus. The iPad 4 is good but a bit on the heavy side.

The iPad Pro will be a favourite when it comes out. Of that I’m sure.