How do you break in a new battery?

Schools of thought on how to charge a new device with a new battery seem to vary greatly. I know what I normally do… Curious to see if others go through any particular regime when purchasing a new device?

I use it as per normal with no change in routine.

2 Likes

This. Can’t say I’ve ever had battery issues. Only time I’ve had a battery go bad is from lack of use.

Overnight charge on every new battery, never had an issue. Works with multiple types of battery chemistry. What can it hurt?

I’m basically like Erwin. Phone arrived about 80% charged, charged it up whilst syncing etc. Used it during the day, then charged it overnight. I think maybe it’s good to let it go down to as close to zero as possible the first time, but I only got to 40% by bedtime so I just wacked it on. I’ll see how I go today, but it’s been off charge for about an hour and a half and it’s still at 100%. The battery on my iphone 6 is definitely cactus compared to this, I’m gonna try at Apple again and see if I can get a swap, or at least a replacement.

“Breaking in” or training new batteries comes from the old nickel metal hydride days. With lithium ion batteries, there’s simply no need or advantage to go through the fully drain/fully charge rinse and repeat process.

Fully charge it once and away she goes. You might need to fully discharge and recharge to recalibrate every now and then but I can’t remember the last time I actually had to do that dance.

Apple replaced both my iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 after about 18 months of use due to battery issues, not holding charge and suddenly cutting out with no warning even though they reported 30%+ of charge left, so I was wondering if I do anything wrong. I basically use the phone during the day and charge it overnight every night without doing anything particularly special, so I’m pleased to see none of you seem to do anything different to me.

I did change my habits slightly after the iPhone 5 went bad on the advice of the genius - I do charge it in the car when I’m using it for satnav, and have one of those clips that holds the phone in front of the air vent. I now make sure that vent is turned off so the phone doesn’t get blasted with cold air. Not sure if that’s a real issue or not, but the iPhone 6 went bad in the same way when I’d turned the vent off throughout its life, so probably not.

Interestingly, the cold air is exactly why I chose a vent mount. I noticed in the early days when using my 3GS with Sygic that the phone would become unbearably hot, so I decided then that cooling it whilst its in use for navigation, is axctually a good thing. Have no issues with batteries. The 3GS was eventually replaced for home and power button issues, but the battery was still good.

1 Like

Well the battery on my new 6S is just amazing. I think the lowest it’s been at bed time is about 50%. At one point I left it for 24 hours between charges and it was still only at 38%. I did check and I’ve got one of the TSMC CPU’s (I forgot that was a thing). Very happy with it.

There is no need to “break in” new batteries. Modern Lithium Ion batteries do not have a memory, so there is no need to do anything other than to turn it on and use it. If you want to get a calendar, I believe Apple provides one that shows when you should use your device untethered and when to completely discharge it.

The only thing you have to remember is that there are only so many discharges, the best advice is to use your device untethered when you don’t really have any other choice and plug it into the wall when you can.

There is no special management plan for Li-On batteries.