Iphone 5 with ios 7, need to upgrade but dont want ios 10

Is it possible to put ios 8 or 9 somehow instead of 10, or should i just get the latest? I didn’t want 10 since it may slow down the phone! Thanks

There is no way to go to 8, but Apple may still be signing iOS 9 - Not sure of the legalities, but I think if you get a direct link to the apple iOS 9 download, you can download iOS 9 and then hold option in ‘Restore iPhone’ in iTunes, then install that.

However, iOS 10 is very similar to iOS 9 in performance on the iPhone 5.

This is iOS 8 vs iOS 10 on the iPhone 5 - iPhone 5 : iOS 8.4.1 vs iOS 10 Speed / Performance test - YouTube

This is iOS 9 vs iOS 10 on the iPhone 5 - iPhone 5 : iOS 10 Final vs iOS 9.3.5 Speed Test / Performance Test - YouTube

You could have gotten there if you had it stored from an older version of iTunes, but if you never downloaded iOS 8 there is no way to get there by yourself.

You can download previous iOS versions - there are sites that have links to Apple’s download servers.

Hmmm shows what I don’t know, thanks.

Is saving SHSH blobs still a thing?

Otherwise, no, there’s no way to upgrade to a newer version that isn’t signed by Apple. Apple stopped signing iOS 9 for the iPhone 5,1 and iPhone 5,2 as of 19/10, so you’re a few days late, and now iOS 10 is your only option.

No blob saving for ages. I think that stopped around ios7.

Oldmacs gave me the idea to look on YouTube, and sure enough, here is a comparison of the last five versions of iOS on an iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 does surprisingly well regadless of version IMHO.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the info! I guess from what I am getting the feel of is to go to ios 10 since its not too bad in performance… Probably easiest and hassle free since apps will stop working again in ios 8 and at some point 9…

ps. where has the ‘for sale’ thread gone? In the old mac talk I had plenty of posts and a member for several years… now have to start all over again!

There’s a Buy/Sell/Trade category, but it’s only visible to those with “member” trust level. It’s not that hard to achieve - details here.

1 Like

So all those years being on mactalk and aroun 1000 posts din’t count? Very silly! I have traded with members on here, but I guess that’s what you call ‘progress’ :wink:

Not sure if you’ve noticed, but this isn’t MacTalk. Benny has covered this previously.

1 Like