iPhone 6S Battery

My Wifes iPhone 6S has been playing up of late, shutting down at 35% or so and refusing to turn back on. Last time I plugged it back in it came up with the red battery icon (like it was fully drained) only to come up at 35%+ when it fired back up.

We also grabbed an iOS app to show battery health, the 6S was all over the shop showing various different results from dead to great depending on how it felt. I figured it might be a bodgy app so put it on my 6 Plus but it showed a consistent reading on mine…

…So we booked a genius appointment for today to get it sorted.

So the genius ran some diagnostics and said the battery itself is just fine, but the firmware on the bit that talks to the phone itself and reports battery has issues… apparently a known problem and something they hope will be fixed in a software update. She said they could swap it out but it’s a common fault :frowning: She also suggested that a restore might fix ?? (which seems counterintuitive) but that if you restore from backup you’re likely to get the problem back (less likely, but still possible, if it’s an iCloud backup rather than a local one). She did say she would make notes on the account so if we wanted to swap it out later the notes would be there to support that.

I’d normally say sure, lets wipe it and start again… except that Healthkit data isn’t backed up anywhere else and that’s the one thing my Wife wants to keep…

so now we play the waiting game with a phone that sometimes shuts down at 35%

I had the same thing with my 6, and my partner is having the same with his 6 Plus. My brand new 6S is fine, in fact the battery is just amazing, I’m thrilled with it. I would demand a replacement. This “update” that Apple is claiming is on it’s way… where the hell is it??? It obviously wasn’t part of 9.3.3 because the fault is still occuring on phones that have been updated. I would demand a replacement.

I had exactly the same issue with my iPhone 6s. My iPhone would turn itself off at around 35% and would not turn back on unless it was plugged in. Once plugged in, it would show the battery level as 35% again.

I also ran various battery diagnostic apps on my iPhone would showed unusual results. Booked a genius appointment and they told me the battery was fine. Did the restore, but problem was still there.

I took a video of the problem, and went back to the Apple Store. They also told me that since I had first come in, they have identified a problem with the software on the iPhone, and said that was causing the problem. Despite them stating a fix was coming, they agreed to replace my iPhone as I had made a few visits to the Genius Bar.

Go back again if you are not happy and they will replace the iPhone for you. However, I spoke to a friend (who is an Apple Genius) and he did tell me it is a known problem and it’s software related. He told me that 50% of the iPhone battery problems he sees is related to this issue.

It’s up to you what you want to do, but I trust that this person is telling me the truth and a fix is probably coming, but it does not help you when your iPhone shuts down at 35%. I had mine replaced as I said I lost faith in my iPhone as I could not trust when it would shut itself off or not.

The funny thing is it’s not every time at 35%. I don’t know if it’s a voltage drop because of heavy activity once you’re under 35% or what’s triggering it, but it’s been all the way down and back up a couple of times between issues.

That happened to me once as well (6s); thought I was the only one or a one off glitch (@ around 35%). Will keep an eye on this thread.

Been happening with my wife’s 6s and my 6 all year. She took it in last week and exact thing you were told. It’s happened since Jan for both after an iOS update. I even googled it as it was so obvious. Alas 7 mths later and still dealing with it.

Finally. Took my 6 in a second time and they replaced it. It actually dropped from 15 to 1% while I was sitting at the Genius Bar waiting.

My 6s is still doing this, even though I am using my 7+ now. I do want this fixed though. It is now out of the 1 yr Apple warranty so will have to rely on the ACL.

Spent an hour on the phone with Apple diagnosing it but they had nothing to add after all that time… except take it to an Apple store. Appointments are harder to come buy so have booked in for when I can go.

They have asked me to upgrade the OS, also restore and went through all that.
Might also try a DFU.

I suspect I will just get the same at the Genius Bar

Restoring the OS will wipe the battery life data, and the Apple Store will tell you to go away and come back once it’s been able to log the information for a few days.

1 Like

This was the mistake I made with my iphone 6, wiped it and went in but no history for them to look at. Told me to go away and come back if the problem continued, which it did. They replaced it the second time around. Although a hassle, worth it to get basically a brand new phone when the other one was nearly two years old.

My wifes issue is still there although it’s still totally random with issues at around 35% sometimes but managing to go all the way down to 0% at others? As I said before it’s noted on the account so it looks like it’s time to take it in and see what they have to say.

Yeah I did that last night and will watch for a few days… they should already have the history from when the job was originally logged.

Hopefully it does it before Sunday when the appointment is booked for; but bit hard since I am not using it.