iPhone X Telco pricing

… aka help me choose a carrier. :grin:

I’m currently off contract with Telstra and looking to upgrade to the new shiny. Looking for the 256Gb and of course being with Telstra it’s logical for me to go with them again … but man those plan prices. They’re charging a premium of at least $20 on most comparable plans from the other Telcos.

Just curious what others thoughts are on the various plans and relative telco performance. Keep hearing stories of Optus having massive congestion and was bitten by Vodafone in the past so would want to know that they’ve improved.

So would love to hear what others’ thoughts are, especially those in the Canberra region.

Thanks.

Outright and prepaid are probably going to save you a crapload depending on how much data you want.
So outright the 256GB is $1829, or $76.20 a month over 24 months.

Let’s look for a reasonable plan. Boost just came out with new plans today. For $40 a month you get 16GB for the first two months, then it’s 8GB a month, including unlimited calls/SMS. so that’s $116.20 a month. It’s on the Telstra network.

You aren’t locked into a contract and you can jump ship to any other carrier any time you like.

Personally if I was buying a new phone, there is no way in hell I would go onto a contract, unless the deal was really, really good. you’re stuck on that plan for 2 years. In two years plans are going to be even cheaper and have more data, it’s inevitable, so why would you want to be stuck on the one plan for ages?

Of course this all depends on if you can afford to buy the phone outright. Obviously the benefit of a plan is not having to cough up $1829 in one go. Which would be painful for just about anyone, I’d imagine.

2 Likes

Could always use Apple’s finance option to mitigate the upfront cost.

Also worth noting that Boost has access to the entire Telstra network, unlike the other resellers.

Thanks guys. I know that buying one outright is the best option, but definitely not in the budget. I have considered the finance option and if Apple offered 24 months finance it would be a no brainer. But with 12 months finance only, it’s not in the budget either. So going to stick with a plan. Just wondering if I choose to go with one of the other Telcos, whether I’d be taking a step backwards, network performance-wise.

1 Like

You could always get a cheap $2 prepaid SIM to test out Optus/Vodafone in your area to get a real world data. Others experience will vary based on location and usage.

I used to be on Telstra and jumped ship to an Optus 12 SIM only plan. $40 for 14GB. Good enough value for me. I haven’t noticed any major differences in coverage and data speeds. Though there are some places Telstra has better coverage like sporting venues and large groups. On trains etc.

You get what you pay for :wink:

I am currently with Vodafone with the end of contract in sight. The service provided was reasonable. I am leaning towards Virgin Mobile. The prices of the plans are very competitive or cheaper than most. Co workers on Virgin stated they were contented.

Thanks all for your replies. I decided to bite the bullet and stay with Telstra, even with their higher prices. Often visit the outlaws on the south coast of NSW and usually Telstra have the only coverage. So decided better the devil you know.

Now the wait begins… hopefully I’ll get it before Christmas. :cold_sweat:

If you stay with Telstra try online chat to negotiate a discount on an online plan. There is a $49 plan with 15Gb (5 Gb online bonus) unlimited calls etc. Ask for a $10 discount as along term customer.

1 Like

I’ve been with Optus for a long time… and in general would say they are good, though if you are in regional areas I’d investigate it first - my parents live on the edge of Horsham, and I barely get any signal there - et cetera.

Yeah $1,800 outright isn’t an option for most people so ignore that advice.

I’d always suggest negotiating with Telstra via online chat; in person, it really depends on who you’re with and if they can be bothered - most of the time they have to stick to a script and whatever is publicly offered.

Optus store and online staff have always told me that they are not allowed to offer any discounts on plans. Only exception is if you’ve actually been offered a special deal etc of course.