MacTalk member check-in thread

Welcome Brains :slight_smile:

You’re still alive! I would have thought the proliferation of wi-fi would have killed you by now :slight_smile:
(just like how the red headed clown offering processed meat would have killed me)

7 Likes

Same username as before. A lot of names are familiar. I joined before the iPod Photo was released. Ahh those were the days.

2 Likes

Hello all. Been lurking for a while, thought I might as well join up.

I suspected MacTalk was on the way out a while ago, so I hadn’t bothered to participate much in the last few years.

Good to see some of the older members have stuck around.

2 Likes

Hello again. :wink:

2 Likes

El Guardo on SpyMac.
El Guardo on Think Secret.
El Guardo on AppleTalk.
El Guardo on MacTalk.
ElGuardo on AppleTalk.

1 Like

Hi guys,

I used to be a member of Mactalk but hadn’t visited in a while - saw the MacTalk is Dead. Long Live MacTalk announcement post and came here.

I don’t quite understand what happened with Niche - anyone care to explain?

Cheers

2 Likes

Who knows? It’s been discussed to death on MT. My advice - don’t try to apply logic and just embrace AT instead.

PS: Welcome aboard!

Welcome mate. Very sad re MT but not much we can do.

@jcw I think it went something like this:

Dr. Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs.
Dr. Ellie Sattler: Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth.

Essentially, as I understand it, Niche decided they not only didn’t want to spend money maintaining MacTalk, they didn’t even want to grant volunteers the accesses they required to keep the site running. Why? No one seems to know. Stupid move? Well, probably! It was such a large community, and it’s not like Apple is disappearing any time soon… But that was their move, and so we moved here.

Just like anything really when a big company decides they want to make money off it. Just like Haymarket Media killed Atomic MPC, and just like Next Media is doing a good job of killing off Hyper to try and move everyone to PC and Tech Authority. It happens, you move on and find greener pastures. I think its a very good thing this is an indie platform.

As they say money is the root of all evil and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I knew things were over when I got a couple of PM’s from Niche asking if I knew what the passwords were for the server LOL

4 Likes

Niche were so preoccupied with whether or not they could buy MacTalk, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

3 Likes

CyanPixie here again. Getting back into the Mac after being on a Windows Phone for a long time - got an iPhone 7 and a new Macbook Pro 2016. Went to MacTalk to look for the goss, saw it was dead and saw a post pointing me here. Nice to see an Aus Mac forum again!

Oh dear.[quote=“CyanPixie, post:215, topic:1020”]Went to MacTalk to look for the goss, saw it was dead and saw a post pointing me here. Nice to see an Aus Mac forum again![/quote]

That’s so funny, I can’t believe they leave a post pointing members to another forum.

They didn’t. I put the post up ages ago. Just proves no-one from Niche is looking at MacTalk.

That’s how I got here, that post on MacTalk with a big FU I’m leaving. It seems like the mods aren’t doing anything about a sinking ship either. Maybe they still don’t have the admin password?

Pretty much the only reason people are using MacTalk now is for selling things and that may not be the case either anymore looking at the last date that someone has actually posted there just now. I should revise my thoughts on that.

This type of leaving a drowning ship is not unusual for forums. It’s also pretty well why the only forum I am actually a long term member on is dpreview and the whole Amazon takeover of dpreview hasn’t exactly been smooth sailing all the way either. The reason why it does keep going the way it does is because they pretty much leave well alone.

I don’t get what these outside companies see in these places. You only need to look at Tumblr and Flickr to see how much of a disaster this type of thing is for companies with much deeper pockets where people are leaving communities like drowning rats also even after Yahoo investment.

We tried, hard. We never had the server passwords. All we could do is admin the forum posts and users. Before it was sold to Niche some of us had some extra keys provided by Decryption, but after Niche it all god locked down and they never responded to us just as much as they never responded to the community. So we all gave up. I think I was the last one to leave, shortly after a few before me posted publicly that they were done with it all. That’s when I put up the note about AT and encouraged any remaining active posters to come here. There’s still some activity there, but I think it’s just a couple of people talking into the echo chamber.

I don’t think they look at MacWorld either - certainly not the forums

1 Like

I did a whois on the mactalk.com.au domain and was amused to see all the details still relate to @decryption - well done Niche.