MFi Lightning cables

Continuing the discussion from Apple AC wall plug adapter exchange program:

Has anyone come across a source of Made For iPhone-certified Lightning cables for less than Apple-branded ones? I would have thought they’d be relatively common by now. Amazon has a sale on some pretty rugged-looking Anker ones at the moment, but they won’t ship over here.

I generally buy these:

http://www.centrecom.com.au/alogic-1m-lightning-usb-cable-black

I think last time I got them for around $10 each on special.

I bought some that have a braided covering. Think they were made by belkin and were about $10.00 each. They are 30cm long.

1 Like

As I said in the other thread, mine looks very similar to that. The idea of a braided one appeals (especially if it was black instead of white).

My problem is going to be what fits my dock. At the time I chose to go for the option where I could supply my own cable rather than have one moulded in so if it ever broke or I upgraded the phone it would be that much easier to replace.
So the molded hole is designed to fit the stock adaptor. I have a few around the house (or could just buy a shiny new one) and could swap it out and see how I go… They could better now??
To be fair, this cable has been in the sun in my car (convertible) since the iPhone 5, so over 3 years now. The dock has changed but never the cable.

My dock:
http://www.holdmyphone.com.au/holders/phone/apple/iphone-6-plus-adjustable/iphone-6-plus-adjustable-holder-with-cable-connect-usb.html

Normally I’d be all about Apple’s own first-party cables, but recently I picked up a few Belkin ones from where Dick Smith had a sale a while back. They work well enough, and certainly well enough for the <$10ea I paid for them.

2 Likes

I’ve had a bunch of deal extreme cables which pretty much all physically failed due to cheap shoddy construction, this led me to stick with the genuine ones so the vast majority of my cables are genuine and in inside use I don’t think I’ve had one break or fail yet.

I’ve got a couple of short 25cm flat cables from Officeworks (Belkin??) which we use with a Griffin PowerDock5 (which is briliant I might add). They were a similar price to the Apple cables but where pretty colours. What I wanted was short cables for that particular use case.
On a side note, I’d really like the Griffin Multidock2, but these are bloody expensive for the home user.

I might try taking the dock out of the car and taking it into the store to see if I can test fit some of the alternative cables. This Comsol Premium Lightning to USB Cable Leather Look 1m Black looks like it would work nicely in the car if it fits my holder. (I’m happy to modify it a little if needed, as long as I don’t have to go too far).

I bought a bunch of cheap cables from eBay, they’ve all stopped working (they look ok so I guess it’s Apple updates that stopped them).

I also have 2 Belkin cables that were cheaper than the Apple ones (but more expensive than the eBay cheapies) and they’re still working fine.

My genuine iPhone 6S+ cable, iPhone 6 cable and iPad mini 4 cable are still working fine but the iPhone 5C cable has stopped working.

1 Like

The braided ones came in either black or white. Bought them at another Dick Smith sale. I haven’t owned them long enough to comment of their durability, but so far so good

Has anyone tried the Kogan MFI Lightning cables?

Thanks, Kevin

This is what my cable currently looks like.

I pulled it apart today and replaced the cable with a Comsol branded cable from Officeworks.

I wanted the fancy leather looking one but the end plug didn’t look like was going to even come close to fitting into my bracket. As it is I had to pull out the Dremel and trim down the plug slightly to get this one to fit.

I considered just grabbing another Apple Genuine one since it lasted a few years, but then the new black one disappears into the dash a little more than the glaring white one. We will see how this one goes, but like I said earlier, it’s been a few years so there wont be any feedback any time soon :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone had any experience with Wolfblitz MFI cables?

Kevin

http://www.blitzwolf.com/Apple-MFI-Certified-BlitzWolf-Lightning-To-USB-Braided-Data-Cable-3.33ft1m-For-iPhone-6-6Plus-5-p-48.html

It looks very pretty! I like it.

I ended up getting Anker cables for $19.95 from Mushtato.

Kevin

http://www.mushtato.com.au/apple-mfi-certified-anker-3ft-nylon-braided-usb-lightning-cable-308.html#.V0i0oFf2D-0

Anker cables are extremely high quality but the only problem is their cables are less flexible than most lightning cables as they have an extra durable layer of cable covering and it could be hard to flex/slide into dash/charging dock box solutions.

So it happened again… although this time in my Wifes car.

This cable is probably one of the older ones and it’s lived it’s entire life in a car so has to deal with some pretty extreme temps. Given this one also comes up the side of the dash and lives there means it’s sitting in direct sunlight too.

So I’ve been on the hunt for something a little more sturdy, also a little longer since it’s router behind the dash (at the moment there is an extension cable in there which I’d like to get rid of). This is the current leader, but I’m open to any alternatives that might be worth a look.

Anything by Anker, is worth the money.

I really wanted to order som MOS Spring cables from Seltec, but the price + shipping just wasn’t worth it. :confused: Anyone want to do a bulk order? :slight_smile: