Monday Morning News

PhBPydJIFJ4TRVjWWhen Benjamin Franklin was quoted as saying there are two certain things in life, he actually meant there are three: death, taxes, and the fact that if Apple release something new, iFixit will take it apart. Yes, teardowns of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus have arrived, and while the devices may look the same as their predecessors on the outside (except for that new Rose Gold colour), on the inside things have changed. The x-ray of the new Taptic Engine is pretty cool-looking, if I do say so myself.

Touch ID in the new iPhones is faster than ever. So fast, in fact, that it’s basically impossible to read the time on your lock screen without the phone unlocking due to resting your finger on the sensor. The speed increase is so noticeable that it makes Touch ID on any previous device seem like a two-step procedure.

While the new iPhones may be heavier than the devices they replace, it looks as though the stronger series 7000 aluminium is proving very difficult to bend. Bend tests of the iPhone 6s prove that it’s impossible to bend while under any kind of “normal” stress levels — while you can still bend the new iPhones with the combined strength of two people, that kind of stress is unlikely to happen during real-world usage.

Apple CEO Tim Cook called the number of Steve Jobs biopics “opportunistic”, which prompted a response from Aaron Sorkin, who said “if you’ve got a factory full of children in China assembling phones for 17 cents an hour you’ve got a lot of nerve calling someone else opportunistic.” Sorkin later apologised to Cook, saying they both probably went too far.

A security firm is offering $1 million for the discovery of iOS vulnerabilities that give attackers complete control of a device. There’s a total of $3 million up for grabs, with the program running through the end of October. Ars Technica has more details.

Apple has filed a patent for inductive charging of iOS and OS X devices. Apple already uses inductive charging on the Apple Watch, but it’s interesting to see how this kind of tech could also be applied to the Mac or to iPhones and iPads.

Notes and Reminders are the real stars of the show in iOS 9, but I don’t see a lot of people talking about them. Gabe from MacDrifter writes that both apps now capture information, but each uses that information in a slightly different way that’s still useful.

Over at Six Colors, Dan Moren says improvements to search in iOS 9 mean that you can now look inside apps that support to Spotlight indexing feature, like what happens with Mail. Suggestions take your offhand queries and turn them into something useful, and search within apps has also improved.

Steven Aquino writes that he chooses a tablet over a laptop for productivity, mostly thanks to touch input and a huge screen. When it comes down to it, he believes a device like the iPad Pro is just more accessible than something like a laptop, even though he hasn’t used one in person.

Of course, the counter-argument from Dan Moren is that an iPad won’t be replacing the MacBook as a main work tool anytime soon. Writers need keyboards to work, and the software keyboard on an iPad just doesn’t cut it — and if you’re going to use the iPad Pro with a keyboard, you might as well be using a MacBook.

Joshua Topolsky’s secret to Instagram is a Workflow action extension that lets you post photos from anywhere you can share a photo.

Now that the Apple Watch lets you choose your own photo background, a site called whatanicewatchbackground.com has a couple of choice wallpapers, if you’re looking for something nice. If the Apple Watch isn’t your thing, then a free selection of wallpapers from Flo Gehring Photography are also really nice.

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2015/09/monday-morning-news280915/

2 Likes

I’ve always used Reminders a lot, but even the new iteration of Notes is a bit clunky. The textured background is also a bit out of wack with the OS theme. I’ve been trialling it as a replacement for Evernote, but to be honest it’s not even in the same league, not that I’m sure it’s competing, but that’s what people are comparing it to.

Why you cannot sort notes alphabetically is beyond me. Unless I am missing that setting?

No, I don’t think you can. The other major issue I have with it is when you use the share sheet (say in Safari) it lists all notes in one big list; it doesn’t show nested lists as being nested so things get messy very quickly.