Monday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2017/05/monday-morning-news290517/

The jury’s still out on whether AI will be the next big thing, but rumour has it Apple is working on a chip to power AI on devices. Much like it did for motion data with the M-series coprocessors, a specific chip for AI on device would allow for more advanced interactions and capabilities, providing the kind of always-on AI that would be the precursor to a “Her” future.

Sources in the supply chain say Apple will integrate Touch ID into the display in the next iPhone. We’ve seen iPhone case designs and renders that have rear Touch ID placement, but they were sketchy at best. The same sources also claim Apple’s next iPhone will incorporate infrared cameras to enable AR features.

With WWDC next week, a roundup from MacRumors tells us about what people want to see in the next version of macOS. It’s no surprise to see a redesigned iTunes/Apple Music experience as the first thing in the list, but the rest are all enhancements to existing Mac features, or in the case of HomeKit, iOS ones making the jump to the Mac.

A similar Apple TV wishlist opens by saying there hasn’t been any rumours for the Apple TV, given its relatively low popularity compared to iOS and macOS. Still, it’s not as if Apple can ignore tvOS or Apple TV hardware forever, so if they’re looking for suggestions and potential improvements, there’s no better place to start.

Apple Maps has been updated with 3D imagery of Apple Park, with the area also showing walkways and other points of interest. While the circular shape of the mothership is the most distinguishable feature, there are also 3D representations of the Steve Jobs theatre, the above-ground parking structure, and even a man-made pond within the main building.

Apple finds itself the target of yet another patent troll. Non-practicing entity Uniloc alleges that Apple has infringed on its patents relating to a battery charging system that uses sensors to monitor temperatures, a “remote computer display using graphics primitives sent over a wireless link” patent, and perhaps most ludicrously of all, a patent for auto-dialling a number from a record stored on a device.

The latest list of Apple hardware to be marked as obsolete include a number of MacBook Pro and MacBook Airs from mid and late-2011, the first-generation AirPort Express, and even the iPhone 3GS. After June 30, you won’t be able to get those machines repaired at Apple Stores.

Yoink is a Mac app that aims to help with the drag-and-drop that you do every day. Instead of dragging directly from one app to another, Yoink lets you drop items into a space on your computer, navigating to the target app, then dragging out of Yoink. It works with multiple files, too.

While calling it Apple’s Beddit is technically correct, it’s highly doubtful Apple has had any kind of influence on the Beddit product as it is, outside of their purchase of the company earlier this month. Still, MacRumors has the in-depth review of a sleep-tracking app and accessory.

The developer of a photo battle app (I don’t know what that is) says that a hybrid approach to app development is the right way for the majority of apps, and that it if weren’t for Apple and the tale of two similar but different web views, hybrid app development would be the clear winner over native.

My wish list for WWDC is an Apple TV capable of 4K

Also improvements to Siri. I’d like to see the rumoured Siri speaker.

Thats scary, my Pro is Mid 2012. Though the Mid 2012 was sold till late 2016 so I think it should get support through to 2021.