Most people never upgrade their Macs


#26

Yeah but… you havent accounted for the State Tax that Americans have to pay when they buy. You’ll only get those prices in Oregon or… ?Delaware? In Rhode Island theres another 15% on top and I think Arkansas might be around 7%. Well, it was once. Maybe more now.


#27

Love it. And why oh why does he always look like he’s about to cry. Sheesh.


#28

I’m not buying another new Mac until I literally exhaust all of the highest specced 2011/2012 MacBook Pros for my mobile and work needs, and the highest specced/upgraded Mac Pro Cheesegraters for my video editing needs. That is a LONG way off.

My 13" 2012 (but built and sold in 2015) MacBook Pro 9,2 is still under AppleCare until March of this year. It had new keys, a new battery, and a new charger added by Apple, under AppleCare only last year. It’s running the max 16GB of RAM and is running RAID 0 SSDs in both of the SATA connections (I replaced the optical drive, and kind of knew I would too, when I replaced my 2010, as I had already stopped using the optical drive at that point). This thing is very fast. Even though it’s now maxed (probably, unless internal changes to future SSDs could make the read/write faster?) and the CPU was always going to be the bottle neck (cannot be replaced, I don’t think? There was never an i7 for this model, right?), I predict it will be years before I need to replace it. I have kept it as near mint as possible, and there aren’t even scratches, dents, or scuff marks on the unibody. When it must be replaced, it will be with a 2011/2012 15" or 17". I give zero crap about retina display. My eyes are terrible anyway.

As for desktops, where I do most of my major video editing, I’m not even editing in 1080p regularly yet. I mostly edit in 480p or 720p because of the real, native resolution of my animation source. When I finally feel like my Mac Pro 3,1 can’t be pushed any further (and I only have 10Gbs of RAM and the dual quad core 2.8GHz Xenons in there right now), I’ll probably look into a 4,1 and flash it to 5,1, or a 5,1. Not interested in a 6,1, and I won’t have the funding for whatever insane price is going to be attached to the 7,1 (or whatever it ends up being).

The ONLY possible problem I can see with this is if Apple starts trying to intentionally break my access to MacOS versions or security updates, or my current Adobe CS5 suite starts freaking out on me. I only gave up Adobe Premiere 6.x a few years ago, and I was sullen and resentful about it. If it ain’t broke, I am not interested in changing it. If all things are equal (as is Sierra and perhaps High Sierra on my supposedly unsupported 3,1), then don’t try to keep me hardware out of the OS cycle. Eventually, I am sure, I will end up in a situation where I fall further and further behind in current OS, as I wait for jiggery-pokery on whatever “obsolete” Mac I have to let me keep going.