Old School Apple Gear

I bought a box of bits and pieces of older Apple gear including some poly MacBooks and some iPhones 3GS’s, each with various issues.

The idea is to pull them apart and see if I can’t get one or two things working again.

So far I’ve stripped down the phones and managed to get two working.
A 32GB 3GS now has a working home button, power button and silent switch :smiley:
A 16GB 3GS now has a working home button, power button but a silent switch that doesn’t always flick to vibrate (but if you want to leave noise on works just fine). That one I might have another crack at.

All the MacBooks have fried or missing batteries, one seems to boot OK but had a dodgy connection to the screen. I’m hoping for a bodgy ribbon cable which means I can swap in one of the other screens. That one’s a 2GHz C2D with 1GB RAM and 120GD HDD.

The other couple of machines chime, but just power down at the apple logo. Something I’ll have to dig into to see what’s what. Is there anyway to check the CPU specs when you can’t boot the machine so I can focus on the better machine?

I also scored a couple of old AirPorts, no idea if these even power up yet. I’m not entirely sure what I can do with these old units. Any ideas? (The cat is helping).

Can you outfit the old Airports with new Airport Extreme insides? Just for the heck of it?

I have one of those old airport extremes (the white one, with a 56k modem inside. I was so disappointed that Apple never made an ADSL modem to go in the AEBS).

Mine still works, and I kept in just in case a time would come that I could not afford anything more than dialup. The day never came. I guess it could be useful if paired with an ADSL modem to do the wifi duty. Not as fast as the current generations but some people still use ordinary ADSL modems and dont have access to wifi.