Overheating issue with Mid 2012 15" MacBook Pro

I think I have tracked the issues with the instability of my MacBook Pro to a possible over heating issue.

I was trying memory tests today using known good RAM and they would not go past 4%, memory tried in both slots no change.

When feeling the bottom of the case at the back edge it was VERY hot, after removing the bottom and confirming that the fans are running I felt the heat-syncs at the back of the fans and they are almost scalding hot - is there anything I can do to track down what is causing the heat issue and repair or should I just give up and somehow try and find the money for a new Mac?

Photo attached hilites the areas getting extremely hot.

IMG_0135

What task is your Mac performing to induce the heat?

Al

As per the post the machine was performing Apple hardware tests, specifically the memory test which did not progress past 4 percent after waiting for approx 45 minutes

Those temperatures don’t sound all that out of the ordinary to me. Whenever we have 2011 or 2012 15" machines running Apple hardware diagnostics, the enclosure gets quite hot, and the heatsinks inside are scorching.

These machines produce a lot of heat but don’t breathe that well. I’ve actually considered having my own machines (15" 2012) bottom case CNC machined with ventilation slots to increase the intake air volume. Still have yet to look into it though.

My 2013 Mac shows 102C under heavy (and not that heavy!) load. It can get very very warm on the lap too right where you point out, but then it’s by design.

If you can’t get past 4% in the test and the RAM is known good, looks like it might be a problem with the machine rather than the RAM.

Yep thats my thinking too, but as I can’t afford to replace the machine I’ll just have to limp along with it, although Apple’s current 24 months interest free offer does tempt me I simply can’t afford it at the moment as we are a single income family at the moment.

I’ll just cross my fingers and hope that my wife’s first published book sells and we make some money from that

To reduce heat you can throttle back some cores and allow the Mac to run cooler.
Xcode>Instuments>Preferences.
Adjust to find a sweet spot.

Al