Safari refusing to work

Since the last Sierra/Safari update, I have no functioning Safari. It simply will not open. When I check in my Applications folder, I find that its only 27mb. We all know thats nuts. Is there any way of getting a separate download? The App Store update service is convinced its all good, but it is not, and I am having to use Firefox.

Need my Safari.

I’d suggest downloading the 10.13.2 combo update if you’re using High Sierra:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1944?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

or if you’re still using Sierra, the last Sierra combo update

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1931?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If that doesn’t work, re-install Sierra from scratch. :frowning:

Thanks, I’ll do that. If I have to reinstall, I’m going to start over with Snow Leopard which is what this machine came with. Seems like every update brings more issues needing sorting. Thats why High Sierra is completely off my shopping list. I’m on old hardware (2010 Macbook) and I dont really need the latest. Just wanted to keep up with security, and make sure my apps work.

[edit] bugger… my system is not able to install the update. Sighhhh. I wish I could recall which version of the OS I was last happy with. Mavericks, I think.

Gawd, what a schemozzle. I had to wipe/reinstall. Decided to start with Snow Leopard which I had on disc. Done. Updates to 10.6.8 done. Appstore: completely non functional. Oops, and WTF?? Oh well not to worry I have Sierra saved out on a hard drive. Oh… cant directly install Sierra to this machine because SL is too old. What about El Cap… yes, have that… HA… too old. (Remember how Apple made those original installers no longer valid?) So I am currently downloading El Cap to my Mini, which I will then transfer to this old Macbook and install it. If that fails, I think I’ll have a scotch and soda and ignore it all til tomorrow.

I had a similar issue with my Macbook with HS update. Ended up running OnyX 3.4.0. with an automation pass and the machine rebooted and is now working as normal. I suggest if it does it again to try this.

Thanks, Good suggestion. It seems I am going to have to update to Sierra at least (I’m still reluctant to take the next step to HS) because some of my apps are now not available to me. Some arent updated to HS either without me having to pay a fortune to get those versions … and I cant, anymore. I’m just a bit antsey about doing the update because of what happened. I dont want to have to go through it all again :frowning:

I would not professionally recommend High Sierra yet. I’d say stick with 10.12 unless you can live with all manner of weird bugs. 10.13 is certainly not a “Snow Leopard” polish year as advertised!! :open_mouth:

Nope, I wont be updating to HS now, if ever. My hardware is now 7 years old in the case of the Macbook, and 5 years old in the case of the Mini. I’m not able to update to newer, when on a pension as only income its just not even sensible to do it. My needs are much less than they ever were, and I am beginning to question whether I even need the macbook at all. I only keep it because its not worth a penny to a pinch of snot, even with its new battery, SSD and upgraded RAM. The mini works mostly as a Plex server these days, I rarely even go in to what used to be a well used study… and that said, I use my iPad Air2 for nearly everything else. Sighhh. The days of getting the latest and greatest are long gone, I’m afraid.