So I quit my job yesterday

Bit of a back story, I’ve worked for an IT managed services provider for the past 3-4 years. I’ve picked up a lot of skills there that I never would’ve gotten from my last corporate IT job at a fortune 500. Two reasons for this: Working for an MSP you get exposed to many environments of varying technologies of varying ages, and corporate IT departments tend to be segregated into service desk, network and infrastructure teams, working at an MSP you tend to get your hands on a bit of everything. It’s a sweet deal, I get a company car (my jobs mainly onsite) but I’ve become bored and a bit stale with my work.

So I had two job opportunities pop up this week (one Wednesday morning another on Wednesday evening). A corporate that I’ve been waiting for for about 3-4 months to get to 95% of the way through sign off and an opportunity in an office with a startup culture that came up over a couple of a beers out of the blue in the spur of the moment.

Even though it was a little less money, I’ve chosen the startup (that’s not really a startup). The works a bit more interesting, the office culture’s very much more me (jeans and a T shirt) and there’s a fair bit of travel involved (which I miss about my old jobs).

Pulling the plug on an opportunity that took 3-4 months to get to where it is, Is more money and is more “adult” and corporate wasn’t an easy decision, certainly not one that I took lightly and I hope for dear life that I’ve made the right one. Friday was filled with much anxiety after I made the relevant phones and taking a “fun” job over a stable corporate. But has been very honest but reassuring. This wasn’t a hire for the sake of a hire, there is a vision and direction for my role and that’s why it was created (my friend travels a bit for work but has just had a kid, so he’s hoping to handover a number of his responsibilities over to me.)

5 Likes

Congratulations, Angus. Seems to me that job satisfaction is a lot more important than money (as long as you can still pay the bills!). Work should always be a means to an end, not an end in itself. Sounds like you’re going the right way. One now hopes that the company you chose to go with doesnt fold.

1 Like

Having done the opposite in the past, I say I believe you’ve made the right decision!

1 Like

Thanks guys. It was an agonising decision for a few days.

Two things it came down to: my housemate made me realised there’s a bigger chance of me going to the corporate and be wondering what life’s like at the corporate than me going to the startup, and wondering what life would’ve been like at the corporate.
I’ve wanted to work in a startup environment for many years. This one gives me the chance to work on some really cool tech that I haven’t had the chance to play with before. This opportunity came up now. If I didn’t take the jump now, when would I? (Being able to rock up to work in jeans and a t shirt is a bonus too).

1 Like

Well done in having the courage to take a risk - you only live once!

2 Likes

Congratulations, Angus, you’ll make it work, :slight_smile:knowing you had a choice and it was not your only option.

Let’s have an update in a month or so?

1 Like

Two weeks in and I’m loving it! I still have a lot to learn (re: a lot) and the complexity of the networks that we have is a bit daunting but I’m loving it. My boss seems happy with me. And the people I work with are pretty cool. This week 4 out of 5 days involved beer with lunch (my boss, like myself, is a massive craft beer nut, so whenever someone’s having a rough day or there’s a birthday/celebration it’s not uncommon for us to go out for a beer lunch… we also run the errand of getting the office beer kegs refilled) and today I did a day trip to Melbourne for the day. It’s not all fun and games though, but we work hard, and we play hard.

Sometimes I do wonder what life would’ve been like if I’d gone with the corporate, but deep down I really think I’ve made the right choice. I’m a much happier person than I was a few months ago.

3 Likes

Even if it doesn’t work out, when you get to your fifties you will know you did the right thing. Once you have a family kids etc you would have had to take the corporate job, as other people depend on you. Live your youth.

Hahaha, I’m 32, single, childless and mortgageless. Forever young, carpe diem and all that :wink:

10 years ago me probably would’ve taken the corporate purely because it was more money. I’m not that guy any more.

You have nothing to hold you back or tie you down… i.e no kids or mortgage… So how are things progressing? Still exciting?

Pretty awesome! On holidays at the moment (booked in months ago) but learning a lot and doing some interesting work.
Lifestyle. Exactly what I wanted. Jeans and a T shirt to work. Beer kegs and taps on the deck. And people keep bringing in dogs to work.
They were cool with me getting my eyebrow repierced and I was going to start cycling to work but bought a skateboard and now skate to work instead.

Overall no regrets!

2 Likes