The Doctor Who Thread

Yes, sadly - that’s exactly what it means. When the deal was announced, the ABC released this statement:

After a long friendship, spanning more than 50 years, the universe has called the Doctor in a different direction and Doctor Who will no longer appear on the ABC beyond the current season. The BBC has today announced a new partnership with Disney+ to continue the series.

Despite 59 years of history with Doctor Who, supporting production of The Five Doctors, fighting to keep Doctor Who (I believe) about 10 years ago when the ABC lost first rights to all other BBC content… the relationship is now over.

It’s the way of the world unfortunately. I don’t watch any pay tv but unfortunately there is mostly recycled rubbish on free to air. Having said that, watching less tv probably isn’t a bad thing…

Bite your tongue! :wink:

(Says the guy with a film/tv degree and 2 tv pilot scripts gathering dust…)

Sorry.:flushed:

1 Like

Christmas (Boxing Day in AU) hasn’t been Christmas (Boxing Day in AU) without Doctor Who (since 2005 at least).

Trailer for November 2023’s first Special:

Plus rumours are RTD is bringing Who back to Christmas, but maybe not til 2024.

1 Like

Looks like I will be subbing to Disney+ periodically, after all.

We have Disney because of Star Wars… and some of its Fox content… but yes - WHO adds another incentive moving forward. I imagine I might take some time off before we get to November and try another streaming service for a bit, then sign back up…

1 Like

Once you are signed up, if you cancel for a while you just need to sign back in. Make sure you remember your passwords.

Whilst trying to find the old Fraggle Rock themed “Keep Australia Beautiful” ad (where all those silly creatures were always throwing things on the ground), I found this!

I knew Tom did quite a bit of stuff for Aussie tv when he visited, but never seen this one!

1 Like

And the latest news for the 2024 season?

Classic companion “Mel” is returning!

Mel actually had a brief cameo in the previous story aired - “Power of the Doctor” - but will be returning properly alongside the new Doctor, Ncuti Gatwa. The above seems to suggest it’s not just for 1 episode, but I guess we’ll learn more closer to the time.

If you checked out polls on companions from the classic era, Mel was never exactly popular… so it’s an interesting decision, perhaps based on the actress’ popularity in the UK. (Or so I hear.) I have nothing against her, though would have put lots of other people up ahead of her. Regardless, I am intrigued to see how this pans out, and I’m sure RTD has good reason for his decision.

1 Like

Mmm, don’t seem to have mentioned this issue here yet, so here goes:

This is the latest (in Australia) Classic Doctor Who BluRay Box Set: Season 9, with the 3rd Doctor.

These box sets used to retail for about $80, but if you were lucky you’d get them for closer to $59 with specials etc.

So firstly - the price is massively increased. Whilst JB have them for $124, Sanity’s price, presumably the RRP, is $150.

Nextly, the arrival into Australia is MUCH delayed - it came out in the UK in March 2023. Why the delay? Because Universal, who took over distribution in Australia a while ago, decided they were going to discontinue the line. They issued a press release saying that the title was NOT coming to Australia, nor any further WHO box sets. However, a few months later, presumably either due to pressure from fans, and/or the BBC, they did make this release - with the higher price point - and made a new announcement saying - this is the last one they are doing.

Due to the price, I had not intended to buy it - I was going to abandon the range half way through. (Me! I said that! Can you imagine…!) I may yet abandon the range, but today, thanks to a card with some cash tucked inside, I decided I’d splurge and buy it. JB’s price as above - $124 - is better than Sanity’s $150…

The BBC have in the meantime announced the next in the range - Season 20 - which includes yet another cut of The Five Doctors (this will be the 4th), and also includes more discs than usual (due mostly I believe to a disc full of convention footage). Using that as an excuse - the UK price for the S20 box set is going to be about £10 higher. As such, who knows what the Aussie RRP will be - Assuming that someone actually steps in to replace Universal.

With no confirmed release in Australia - the only option to buy S20 will be direct from the UK, or via eBay/other sellers here in Australia who import the goods. Currently, the sets that retail for $80 tend to sell for $100 - $120 on eBay, so again - who knows what price you will be paying to get the UK release, which has the benefit of being in a better box as well, instead of the flimsy cardboard we get here. (Think back to the first 2 releases here in Australia… before Universal took over.)

I was happy to collect the Classic BluRay box sets due to the price point, as although I have all the DVDs, I appreciate that we’re getting improved quality, in some cases re-scans of the original prints, etc etc, plus new bonus features. But for $125 - $150 each, it’s just too much, particularly right now with interest rates sucking up so much disposable income.

Amazon will deliver from the UK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Collection-Blu-Ray-Packaging/dp/B0CBN3G7JS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=YT9JFN80NEMN&keywords=dr+who+blu+ray+collection&qid=1694291660&sprefix=dr+who%2Caps%2C706&sr=8-1

1 Like

Around $137 AUD with postage… based on current exchange rate…

Takes me back to the days of buying VHS tapes from John Fitton Books and Magazines in the UK…

Disney Trailer for the 3 Specials celebrating the 60th Anniversary of Doctor Who:

The BBC, and Disney will air the first special on Saturday, 25 November.

If you want to see Doctor Who in Australia from now on - you’ll need Disney - it is not on the ABC any more.

SPOILER!!!

SPOILER!!!

SPOILER!!!

The “Celestial Toymaker” makes his first return since his debut in 1965, this time played by Neil Patrick Harris. Speculation abounds whether the reason the Doctor has “degenerated” back into David Tennant is because of the Toymaker, who was an immortal being who could capture people and force them into being his “toys”. (We later saw “the Immortals” in the 5th Doctor story, Enlightenment, and the White and Black Guardians of the 4th/5th Doctor eras may be similar to them, too…)

For now, RTD insists that Tennant is playing the “14th Doctor”, and Gatwa will be the 15th.

Interestingly… The “Celestial” Toymaker has copped a lot of negativity over racism in recent years, with the word “celestial” apparently being a slur against Asian people, made worse by the fact that the actor playing the role was white. (At least they didn’t use yellow-face and have him using an Asian accent, although we can’t talk too soon - just see Tom Baker’s classic, The Talons of Weng-Chiang…) The term “celestial” may have only ever intended to mean “of the stars”, but the Toymaker certainly wore clothes of an Asian appearance:

Perhaps rather strangely, Neil Patrick Harris appears to have donned a German accent for the role, despite not having any Germanic heritage himself. Considering the existing controversy around the role, it seems a little bit of an odd choice…

(And maybe we take ourselves too seriously these days.)

Chatter about more 60’s missing episodes returning, and being announced in the lead up to the 60th, has also heated up, but that’s just totally wild speculation. It was of course shortly before the 50th Anniversary that we learned of the recovery of 9 episodes from Troughton’s era - and we know that this was a marketing choice - the announcement was delayed to tie in with the 50th anniversary.

Also being speculated is whether the BBC have attempted to colourise An Unearthly Child, the first ever episode of WHO. This was considered for the 50th Anniversary in 2013, but the person that they asked to perform the mammoth task, Youtube’s BabelColour, told them to fuck off. :slight_smile: (He had just spent 1 year colourising episode 1 of The Mind of Evil, which was the last Pertwee story that did not have its original colour print, and so when they then asked him to colourise 4 episodes in less than 1 year, he said no chance!)

Back in 2021 production company “Bad Wolf” (RTD, and the producers who worked with him back in 2005-9 on WHO for the BBC) registered a name - WHONIVERSE LTD.

Now - we know why.

The BBC have officially launched “The Whoniverse” - which at this point basically means - every episode of Doctor Who is now available on BBC’s iPlayer. But, they then also announced that there would be a new “series” called Tales of the TARDIS, bringing back Doctors and companions. If you’ve been following the BluRay box sets - a lot of them have included a little tribute video with the actors reprising their roles, such as Maureen O’Brien as Vicki, etc etc. Well - Tales of the TARDIS follows a similar vain, although in this case they are essentially acting as some little fillers between some of the classic episodes.

You can see some of them here:

1 Like

New Announcement

Airing on 23 November on BBC4 - The Daleks (1963) - In COLOUR!

For the past year the Bad Wolf team have been working on an abridged cut of the original Dalek story. With a revamped soundtrack by Mark Ayres (who has been involved with Who since the 80s), the 7-part story has been cut down to a 75min edit, that has been colourised.

No word on how anyone outside the UK can enjoy this (legally) as yet.

I’ve watched about half of this new version now, and thought I’d comment. :slight_smile: Firstly, in terms of the colour - overall, it’s a pretty good colourisation. The hardest part of this process is to get skin tones correct, and whilst occasionally a face looks a bit over-done, generally it’s pretty good. The Dalek’s control room - I have seen a meme comparing it to a jumping castle… Not sure if they have gone a bit overboard! But - if they’d had colour back in the day - you just have to look at the Peter Cushing movies to see that yes indeed, life was colourful back then.

Mark Ayres reimagined audio track sometimes tracks wonderfully, and sometimes is jarring.

The cuts to bring it down from 7 episodes to 3 at times involve little montage scenes, cutting back and forth between action and exposition… which also feel jarring to someone who knows the original content so well. My son however, who may have watched the original version half his life ago, had no issues with it. Occasionally there’s some changed Dalek dialogue to cut the story shorter, and - I guess it’s also understandable.

Although I’m not finished, I am mostly enjoying this little surprise birthday gift. Yes, I have torrented it, because there’s currently no way to watch it otherwise outside of the BBC4 broadcast, but I will certainly be buying the Bluray/DVD next year when it comes out (Jan/Dec 2024).

There is a montage of First Doctor clips at the end of the story, all of which have been coloured - and gives a hint that perhaps we will get more of these abridged, colourised b&w stories. I have long called for this idea, so think it’s got great potential.

1 Like

It had to be done…

Starting to put my channel back up.

1 Like

Better subscribe then!!

1 Like

Thank-you so much.

I was explaining to my 2 younger kids about how I used to have a YouTube channel… I guess 4 years is a long time to a 10 year old and an 8 year old. They were getting very excited about me achieving a YouTube trophy thing, til I told them that after about 13 years I’d only achieved 1,500 subscribers. :slight_smile:

I have about 15 subscribers… :flushed:

1 Like