The Doctor Who Thread

Thought this was worth a post for the old era fans…

Back in '65 the main cast needed a break, so the production team created an episode of Doctor Who with neither Doctor nor companions called “Mission to the Unknown”. It acted as a prelude to the story to follow later in the season - “The Dalek Masterplan”.

Not including the main cast however left the story feeling unloved by overseas buyers, and as such the story was never transferred from the original UK transmission master video tape to 16mm film (which was how the stories were shipped to foreign broadcasters). As such, this episode was officially the first episode of Doctor Who to become “missing”, when the master video tape was wiped, and re-used for other projects.

The likelihood as such of ever seeing this story again is as close to zero as you could get.

The above trailer is for a recreation of the story, mounted by a UK university. When I heard of this venture I wasn’t terribly excited, but seeing this trailer, I have to say it looks like they’ve done a pretty good job!

It will be “broadcast” on the official Doctor Who YouTube Channel in a few days to celebrate 54 years since the original episode’s debut.

RIP Tony Selby, aka Glitz

Tony’s character of Sabalom Glitz was one of the best things to come out of 80’s WHO, appearing in 3 different stories over 2 years. He breathed so much life into the character, and even though he was later reduced to a comic foil, he was always enjoyable to watch.

Had always wanted to see Tony bring the character back to life.

1 Like

Guess I should make not of the pending departure of the current Doctor Who team, with both showrunner Chris Chibnall and Doctor Jodie Whitaker leaving.

This year we are getting a “6 part, one story season”, followed by several specials in 2022.

There has been no confirmation as yet of replacements for either, but the BBC have affirmed the shows future, saying it’s not being cancelled.

There are however plenty of rumours to the contrary.

1 Like

For any Doctor Who fans still paying attention… and the rest of you - listen up! :slight_smile:

Biggest news since - well - since 2003’s confirmation that DOCTOR WHO was going to be revived. Russel T Davies will be stepping back into the showrunner’s shoes after 12 years. Well, 13 by the time his stories start to air. The BBC have stated that he will be doing the show’s 60th Anniversary Special (ie 23rd November 2023), and “further series beyond”.

This comes as a HUGE surprise for various reasons. RTD is said to have almost been driven to the point of a mental breakdown last time round, although admittedly things were complicated back then with not only Doctor Who, but also Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures all under his watch. RTD however has also repeatedly stated he wasn’t interested in returning to the show. That is however not to say that the news is not welcome - fandom’s response at least has been overwhelmingly positive.

Personally - as long as he tempers the toilet humour (farting Slitheen, just to name the biggest offender), and brings something new with him, I think this could be great for the show. He did after all not only bring the show back to life, but turn it into the BBC’s biggest income stream (or if not - second only to that car show…) He took Doctor Who from the niche joke it had become in the 1980’s, and back into a show the whole family could sit down and enjoy together.

There is however a risk that the BBC are hoping to simply return to 2005-9, which would be a huge mistake - Doctor Who didn’t become the world’s longest running sci-fi series by staying the same. It has evolved with each new Doctor/producer/showrunner. My fingers are therefore crossed that RTD has spent the past decade dreaming up some amazing new concepts for the Doctor, but also that he can put his second stamp on the show as a distinctly different one to what came before. (But still be wildly popular, and - well - embody Doctor Who!)

There is an unsubstantiated rumour (leaked email?) that the new Doctor will be Lydia West, who RTD has worked with recently. Though it’s just a rumour, RTD has form on this front - he and Chris Eccelston worked together on “Second Coming” just prior to them doing WHO.

If true, she would be just a tad older than Matt Smith was when he got the TARDIS key.

I certainly believe that they will be choosing a second female Doctor. To go back to a white male now would be a mistake, even though Whitaker has not been a rousing success - and this coming from a guy who was very unsure about the whole gender-swap concept from the start. Whilst plenty of people tuned in to see Whitaker’s first episode/s, her ratings have continued the decline seen since Smith left the series. But with RTD back in charge, I have faith he could make a female Doctor “work”.

Anyways - ahead lays the future!

Nov/Dec 2021 - Whitaker’s final season - a COVID-reduced 6 part series (of 1 continuous story)
New Year’s Day 2022 - Whitaker’s second last episode
[Easter??] 2022 - Whitaker’s finale; new Doctor reveal?? (maybe not?)
23rd Nov 2023 - RTD’s 60th Anniversary Special; likely to feature several returning Doctors and companions, probably all “new era”
[First Half of?] 2024 - RTD’s first full season

I’m guessing about when RTD’s first season will air - but the way the BBC worded it, I presume the season will follow the anniversary - and it’s unlikely they would start a season in December. The lack of announcement regarding the new Doctor - but confirmation that Whitaker has filmed her finale scene, has me thinking that perhaps we may not meet the new Doctor until the 60th.

I was hoping for Olly Alexander as the next doctor as he’s also worked with RTD recently. He was fantastic in ‘It’s a Sin’ and it would be cool to see the first LGBTQ doctor! Though he’s denied it multiple times I believe.

Now that RTD has been announced, Id say anyone that’s worked with him recently just became a hot pick.

I saw the rumours about Olly - can’t say I’d oppose the idea, just don’t know him. Don’t know Lydia other. :slight_smile: I think I would give anyone that RTD cast a good go; he’s got great form.

2 Likes

I just wanted to suggest this for your viewing…

Sure, it’s got a few flaws if you look too closely, but otherwise, it’s actually a reasonably enjoyable WHO Story.

Ok. I’m done here. Til the Sea Devil/s return later this year (!). Sea Devils… wow.

2 Likes

Trailer for Jodie Whitaker’s final episode of Doctor Who, to air in October this year:

For the first time since 2006’s “School Reunion” (featuring Liz Sladen’s return as fan favourite Sarah Jane Smith), we will be seeing not one but two classic era companions in this new story! (Aussie born) Janet Fielding will return to play (Doctor Who’s only Australian character) Tegan Jovanka (1981 - 1984) who (mostly) starred alongside the 5th Doctor, and Sophie Aldred will reprise the character of Ace (1987 - 89) who featured with the 7th Doctor, and is widely considered the archetype “modern era companion”.

Before the trailer aired, there were rumours that the 5th and 7th Doctors - along with Tegan and Ace - would be appearing in this new story. As such, some fans are taking it as confirmation that we will also see Peter Davison and Sylvester McCoy return, making this the first multi Doctor story since the 50th Anniversary “Day of the Doctor”. That of course remains speculation only.

What we do know is that the story is going to feature the Daleks, Cybermen, the Master, Kate / Unit, and now 2 classic companions; it’s looking to be a very busy story. It is also understood to be “feature length”, so probably around 90 minutes, and as well as Jodie’s last, it is also celebrating 100 years of the BBC - which may explain the appearance of the classic companions. Whilst there was over 25 classic companions, there are not many left that could readily return, with sadly many of the actors having died, or their characters in situations unlikely to see them reappear. (Adric!)

Tegan

Ace

Publicity shot of them together in the new story:

There would be a great irony if the story were to also include Paul McGann’s 8th Doctor, and for him to meet Tegan. After retiring from acting, Janet Fielding became an agent, and was representing McGann when he became the 8th Doctor. :slight_smile:

Tegan was last seen (on screen) in London a few years after she joined the Doctor (ie circa 1984), after she decided to leave the Doctor following the events of Resurrection of the Daleks. Ace was last seen walking off into the sunset with the Doctor at the end of Survival - although recently Sophie reprised Ace for a blu-ray trailer, in which she was seen to be living on earth running “A Charitable Earth”. Whilst Tegan saw the Doctor regenerate, Ace was not shown to be aware of regeneration on screen. Her character however did meet multiple Doctors in “Dimensions in Time” (vomiting a lil in my mouth), and I believe also met multiple Doctors in the audio adventures. It will be interesting to see how they handle her character in particular, at least to this dyed-in-the-wool fan.

Old companions coming back is always exciting!

I desperately have wanted Romana II to come back for years! She was one of my favourites.

1 Like

G’day @Oldmacs :slight_smile:

I’m excited, but also worried. No particular reason as such… but - why bring back TWO. It could simply be that they are going to basically interact with each other, and have very little to do with the main storyline… Certainly the 2 clips we see suggest they are isolated. But… Two… Could it be so you can kill one off…? I could actually imagine Janet saying that! Bring me back, but kill Tegan off! :slight_smile: (Bit like Harrison Ford / Han Solo)

I still have hopes for Sophie getting an Ace spin-off, akin to Sarah Jane… and maybe with RTD2, we may see spin offs again, especially now Sony own Bad Wolf… But I can’t see Tegan’s character doing anything else… so - …

We have our 14th Doctor!

Ncuti (pronounced “Shoo-Ti”, by the way - I had to look it up) will possibly first appear in the next episode of Doctor Who, due to air in October this year - and also marking Jodie Whitaker’s departure from the role. Now that a new Doctor has been cast, the rumours that we would not see a regeneration have probably subsided - but depending exactly what Russel T Davies has in mind for the show - we may not actually see Ncuti until the 60th Anniversary episode(s?) in November 2023.

Either way, his first full season is likely to arrive at some time in 2024.

I’m familiar with Ncuti from his role on Netflix’ Sex Education, and am quite excited based on the fact that he regularly steals his scenes, and appears to have some great scope as an actor.

He is young, though not as young as Matt was. All in all - I’m excited!

He is of course the second black actor to play the Doctor, following Jo Martin’s un-numbered Doctor from Chibnall’s “Timeless Child” storyline - however she did not headline the show. I noticed that the ABC took the extra few words to explain this when stating he was the first black actor to play the role (as the lead).

And a week later we get this!

10 and Donna back - in some capacity - for the 60th Anniversary next year!

Oh wow… Pic from the JWST…

Someone smarter than me ABSOLUTELY has to turn this into the intro to the 1980’s Doctor Who titles! :slight_smile: I swear I can see the Doctor’s face about to form there…

No idea what its going to cost me… and whilst I’d love “screen used”, I’ll settle for replicas… but one day I am going to have a wall with a bunch of Cybermen “heads” mounted to it like this exhibit. Except - my desired selection would be: Tenth Planet, Tomb, Tomb Controller, Invasion, Earthshock (leader). Amazing.

Licensed replicas from the UK… £355. Not all models but a good start. So presumably for my 5, I’m probably looking at something like $4,000 - $5,000, plus installation (including wiring to power lights on the Tenth Planet and Cyber Controller ones).

1 Like

And with that, we have a new… err… old… Doctor.

And all the fans can talk about is - Ian Chesterton! William Russell, aged 97, who was right back at the beginning where it all started, getting 1 line in 13’s send off. Woot! Go Ian!

For those old schoolers… looking at that circle… only companions who ended up on (contemporary) Earth could have appeared. We were missing Barbara, Ben, Vicki, Liz, (Benton and Yates from Unit), and Sarah Jane from the circle because all of those actors have passed. Missing, that could have been present was Polly. Actress Anneke Wills told Radio Times she opted to stay home in the garden rather than travel 1 day to film 1 line of dialogue. Mel’s appearance was a stretch - last we saw on screen she was in the future with Glitz, although on the BluRay Trailer she appeared to be doing a tv show like The Shark Tank.

Seeing William Russell though… :heart: And Jo, and Mel, and Tegan and Ace… AND the surviving Doctors (sans Tom, who apparently is quite unwell…) I really think Moffatt did us a disservice not including them in the 50th, although getting to see 7 with Ace, and 5 with Tegan was really sweet.

Ok I’m just rambling.

1 Like

I wonder how they will explain that. I must confess, Tennant was my favourite Doctor of the “new” crop, but how is it that she regenerated as him, given that he already had a decent run.

As for Tom… he’s been looking like he was about to have a stroke fr decades!!

2 Likes

On a rather sad note ABC has lost the rights to Doctor Who in Australia to the Disney+ streaming service :cry:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-26/doctor-who-bbc-disney-deal/101580524

Yep, bloody appalling. :frowning: Been airing WHO in Oz since Jan 1965…

@kyte Not sure if you care about spoilers… they’ve confirmed there’s 3 specials in Nov 2023 for the 60th Anniversary. No confirmation of course but current suspicion is we may see Smith and Capaldi return as well before then getting the “true” next Doctor…

2 Likes

The new TARDIS team, debuting December 2023 - the “Fifteenth” Doctor, and Ruby Sunday.

So, a recap for those not up to date.

When Chibnall decided (? was pushed ?) to leave as showrunner, the BBC approached several people to take over, but no one was interested. The ending of Power of the Doctor was apparently originally going to end with a fade-to-black as Jodie began to regenerate…

…But then Russell T Davies (RTD), who brought the show back in 2005, and had said he would come back “if needed”, was approached about coming back, and he said yes. This however was not a simple - come back as showrunner - it was soon announced that Russell’s production company, Bad Wolf (ahuh!), which he created with the 2005 Doctor Who producers, would take over production of the show from the BBC. (After wanting WHO to be produced externally since the mid 80’s, the BBC has finally got its wish.)

Interestingly, it was also soon revealed that Bad Wolf had a new major investor - Sony. There were thus presumptions by fans that Sony would in some way be involved with the distribution of WHO outside of the UK - although that would be proven false…

We then had the announcement of Ncuti Gatwa as the new Doctor. Our first black Doctor (aside from Jo Martin playing the “Fugitive Doctor” from Chibnall’s era, although she wasn’t the primary Doctor), and an actor that I’ve enjoyed watching in Sex Ed. All we knew initially was that he would be the Doctor in RTDs first proper season, to debut in 2024.

As we were all trying to work out how we would transition from Whitaker to Gatwa, with confirmation of a 60th Anniversary for November 2023 ahead of a full season in 2024, we then heard the news that David Tennant and Catherine Tait would return - briefly - as the Doctor and Donna for the 60th story. How is that possible, fans ask? (Donna’s head will explode if she remembers her time with the Doctor) Wait and see, says RTD.

We now know that Gatwa’s debut story will be in the “festive season” of 2023, and quite likely his first actual appearance will be during the 60th, although only a cameo as we know Gatwa wasn’t available for filming when the Anniversary eps were filmed. OH yes - and we also know that we aren’t getting 1 x 60th Anniversary Special - there is 3! During Chibnall’s era we’ve been getting New Years Day specials, but RTD gave us Christmas… so far there’s no confirmation but hopefully it’s a return to Christmas. (Or of course Boxing Day for Aussies)

And as noted above, we learned that Sony wont be involved in WHO’s distribution, because Disney have signed a deal to be the sole distributor outside of the UK. Whether or not this also means that Disney is gaining some degree of creative control of the series is yet to be seen… but personally I can’t imagine Disney investing millions of dollars in the product without having some voice in its production… If this was happening 20 years ago, I’d be quite worried! Disney was a 4 letter word to me due to its treatment of minorities and non-straight folk… I am hoping those attitudes are gone… (Note, this is purely my speculation… Disney may purely be paying for the rights to show the series exc the UK, and may have no control over it.)

Gallifrey Base is full of hope that the return of RTD will mean a return of the spinoffs. RTD originally brought us Sarah Jane and Torchwood… and he has publicly commented that he’d love there to be something akin to the Marvel or Star Wars level of spinoff material - the Whoniverse… (I may be putting that word in his mouth) And with Bad Wolf / Sony now producing the show instead of the BBC, there’s some real possibilities opening up for this extended universe…

I should add… the BBC has said Tennant is the Fourteenth Doctor, and Ncuti Fifteenth. I suspect that may be a red herring… so used quote marks above when citing Ncuti as 15. SPOILER — we’re pretty sure that the 60th Anni specials feature the return of the Celestial Toymaker (a god-like entity encountered during the 1st Doctor’s era). I am wondering if Tennant’s return will actually be explained as a trick of the Toymaker, rather than having Tennant becoming the first time the Doctor “re-visits an old face” as suggested in Day of the Doctor… But - who knows…

2 Likes

SO I wonder if it will be only available via Disney+ over here. That would be disappointing.