The future of Apple products - ceramic?

From here:

https://www.quora.com/What-will-the-iPhone-8-be-made-of/answer/Brian-Roemmele?srid=Pi3

The Landmark Zirconia Ceramics iPhone, MacBook And Apple Watch Patent

On August 3rd, 2015 Apple presented the landmark patent for the future direction of Apple products to the USTPO. Innocently titled: “CO-MOLDED CERAMIC AND POLYMER STRUCTURE”. On September 8, 2016 one day after the Apple event that announced the iPhone 7 and the Apple Watch Series 2 the patent was made public. Of particular interest is Apple Watch Edition Series 2. Although I anticipated a ceramic Watch but this time Apple used Zirconia + Alunima. The patent was embargoed since August, 2015 by the USPTO to one day after the event so as not to telegraph a future product shift to competitors.

The author postulates that the Apple Watch Series 2 Ceramic is a harbinger of other ceramic-based devices. Exciting stuff.

1 Like

Now that does interest. Im looking forward to next year

1 Like

What happened to Apple using liquid metal for iPhones? Has that just taken a back seat to ceramic now?

I’ve always thought of ceramic = breakable :stuck_out_tongue: I’m interested in how durable Apple’s hardened ceramic will be.

I’ve been wondering the same thing, seeing as their touting their next Mac refresh to be huuge - with the touch bar and now maybe a ceramic case?

@Oldmacs I’m with you on that, I’ve always thought of ceramic as fragile - like your grandmother’s tea cups or the like.

@Hollywood Didn’t they end up using some of the liquid metal stuff to forge certain parts of the iPhone?

1 Like

Werent the heat shields on the shuttles made from some ceramic compound?

[edit] just looked to see, seems there were a variety of things but they did use ceramics for the underside tiles for a while. So… maybe not so fragile.

Hahaha yeah, its probably just my ignorance about ceramics.

I saw the Watch 2 in ceramic today and it looked rather nice I must say.