Thursday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2017/08/thursday-morning-news240817/

The New York Times claims Apple’s self-driving car project is now much more modest than previously rumoured. Instead of an Apple-branded autonomous vehicle, it’s said Apple are now working on the technology that will allow a car to drive itself. The New York Times reports that the first manifestation of this technology may be a self-driving commercially-available shuttle that will ferry Apple employees between campuses.

Further guesses from John Gruber following accusations that Project Titan has served as a distraction from Apple’s core businesses say that there’s probably good stuff coming out of an AI-powered self-driving car, such as the ability to recognise everyday objects. It’s even possible that some of the stuff you see in ARKit has come from Project Titan, or vice versa.

An announcement date for Apple’s next iPhone has been tentatively rumoured, with French website Mac4Ever speculating about a September 12 date based on information from French telcos. The device will then be launched about a week and a half later on September 22, with both dates falling within the range of previous iPhone launches give or take a few days.

A new report claims the new iPhone will be available in 64, 256, or 512GB capacities, similar to the current capacities offered by the iPad Pro. 3GB of RAM is also said to come standard on the new iPhone, mirroring the amount of RAM available in the iPhone 7 Plus.

As much as I enjoyed the fun, colourful design of the iPhone 5C, it seems unlikely Apple would make a successor with a larger display given that the iPhone SE is a thing now. But that’s what one French website is saying Apple will do. We’ll put this one firmly in the “unlikely” box for now.

If everything goes to plan, Apple will be joining other tech giants Google, Facebook, and Microsoft with a new data centre in Iowa. And that’s about all we know, with further details to be unveiled tomorrow once more discussions have taken place.

Without going back an watching the WWDC video, I probably wouldn’t be able to tell you about new features in watchOS 4. AppleInsider gives us a quick refresher with a four minute video that covers everything that’s new in watchOS 4.

Apple has published a support article detailing Apple pro app compatibility with macOS High Sierra, telling you about which versions of Final Cut Pro X, Motion, Compressor, Logic Pro X, and MainStage will work.

Over at the Wall Street Journal, Joanna Stern talks about getting the balance right between being notified of important stuff on your phone, and disabling notifications for stuff you don’t need to know about right away. I find turning off banners and leaving icon badges on great for things I could look at, but don’t need to look at straight away.

There are new episodes of Carpool Karaoke being broadcast all the time, and Apple’s latest promo videos show off teasers featuring Queen Latifah and Jada Pinkett Smith, as well as the Cyrus family.