Thursday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2017/08/thursday-morning-news310817/

A new report from Bloomberg about the new iPhone says there will be no home button. Replacing it will be gesture controls, the home button will go the way of the dodo, at least on the highest-end device to be released by Apple, replaced by a thin bar on the screen that lets users drag up to unlock the device or start multitasking, similar to recent animations we’ve seen leaked from current beta versions of iOS 11.

Mockups of what this software-based home button will look like have started hitting the internet, and honestly, they’re not bad. The absence of any kind of home button means more screen real estate for content, and with the next iPhone expected to have a different form factor compared to current devices, expected to see slightly more content before you have to scroll.

Before you attend a funeral for the home button, remember that it’s not (quite) dead yet. Even there’s no physical clicky button on the iPhone 7, a trend that’s expected to continue with the S-revision. Not to mention, there’s still millions of iPhones and iPads out there with home buttons — Apple may be looking toward the future with the next iPhone, but the home button will stick around for a little while yet.

A short interview with Apple CEO Tim Cook from the New York Times tells us about Apple’s stance on social issues. There’s a bit of politics, but Cook says he thinks Apple has a moral responsibility to help grow the economy, to help grow jobs, and contribute to the US and other countries that they do business in.

Apple announced yesterday that it had partnered with Accenture to create iOS business solutions, leveraging the power, simplicity, and security of iOS to create apps by co-locating iOS experts within Accenture Digital Studios. What this all means is that Accenture are going to be making apps with Apple’s help.

A few demo AR apps roundups have been shown off ahead of the launch of iOS. It’s pretty wild the kinds of things developers have been able to come up with in the short timespan between WWDC and now, and I, for one, look forward to downloading my very first ARKit-powered ruler when iOS 11 is released within the month.

Apple wants the price of 4K HDR movies to be US $20 when it launches support for them in iTunes Store with the new Apple TV, but Hollywood studios want between $5 and $10 more. One studio exec was quoted as saying that he wouldn’t tell Apple how to price their iPads, but I’m not sure if studios have traditionally had any kind of say over the pricing of their films.

Elgato’s latest Eve HomeKit-compatible accessories include a thermostatic radiator valve, a door lock developed in cooperation with Yale, a smoke detector, a window contact and tamper sensor, and a garden hose controller. Pricing and availability was only announced for the Eve Thermo, with details to come for the other accessories.

TeamViewer says the screen sharing feature of iOS 11 means that for the first time, administrators will be able to view someone else’s iPhone or iPad remotely from their own computer. What’s more, TeamViewer are offering the technology for free until October 31st.

A support article from Apple says the APFS migration in macOS High Sierra will not be optional like it was when you upgraded to the beta. Macs with flash storage in any configuration will be automatically upgraded, with only those machines using traditional hard disk drives and Fusion drives exempted.

1 Like

Not sure how I feel about this. I see factors for/against both ways. I really like having a physical home button and TouchID - if nothing else it helps to indicate orientation of the phone by feel.

So this means they are paying their taxes in Australia?

I see nothing in that video regarding a software based home button, just a floating dock