Tips app? Seriously?

So I’ve read online this morning that the new iOS Beta 4 has a “tips” app built in, which is not uninstallable. Assuming (and it would be nice if I was wrong) that this actually makes it to GM, it frankly annoys me quite a bit. We already have enough shitty little apps like Stocks, Weather, etc etc which you just relegate to a “rubbish” folder or whatever. Yes I know some people use them but not everybody. It would be far better if they were optional and you could install/uninstall them via the appstore like anything else. With a new version of iOS I might well want to read some “tips” when I first upgrade, but I certainly won’t want to look at them after that.

Or maybe by definition I’m wanting to move to Android (again)? LOL.

What do others think?

1 Like

Yep just another icon to add to my “iOS Apps” folder that houses all the crap I can’t get rid of.

So true @gehenna

To the unused folder on it’s own home page at the very back of the home screens.

What kind of tips is it for? For calculating gratuities or?

Nah, tips as in “new user tips” (but I also thought it was for calculating tips, which would seem like a strangely US-centric app to add.

Those of us who have been using iPhones for years, but for everyone else, it might be pretty useful. MacRumors went hands-on with the app.

US company being US centric despite majority of sales being outside US never surprises me :wink:

New user tips seems a bit of a silly thing to make unremovable.

Yeah. Perhaps they could make it a webclip instead, with the last tip on being how to remove it and other third-party apps? :smile:

That’s not a silly idea, in fact it would be better if this was an optional widget in Notification Center that updated every so often with a new tip that you could tap on to be taken to a web page with more detail.

When I first read the title I assumed it was something related to that location aware app suggestion stuff but alas it’s much less hi-tech. I dare say mine will end up in the dumpster folder on the last page along with all the other default apps I don’t use and other apps that haven’t quite made it to the delete button.