Tuesday Morning News

icloud_large_2xAfter some users reported raised limits on the number of tracks that could be matched with Apple Music and iTunes Match, Apple has officially confirmed to MacRumors that the limit has been raised to 100,000 songs. The raise before the end of the year was expected, as Apple’s Eddy Cue had previously said they were working on it, with the expectation that it would go live before the end of the year. And so it has.

A new report from a Japanese rumour blog claims Japan Display will be moving towards mass production of OLED displays for the 2018 iPhone. Japan Display is one of Apple’s suppliers, so connecting the dots means it’s possible Apple will moving towards OLED tech, in a few models of iPhone from now.

Facebook has closed its Creative Labs, which also means removing a number of Facebook apps from the App Store. Snapchat-competitor Slingshot was cool for at least a couple of days, I don’t recall even hearing of collaborative video-editor Riff, and Rooms was a promising (but still doomed) group messaging service.

Similarly, Dropbox has announced plans to shut down the Mailbox and Carousel apps. Acquired in March 2013, Mailbox will be shut down on February 26, 2016, and the acquired in April 2014 Carousel will be shut down a month later, at the end of March 2016. Both apps have posted FAQ articles in order to help with the transition.

The Beatles 1+ is now available on the iTunes Store, and it’s been described by iMore as a collection of promo videos and music videos for many of their number 1 hits in the US and the UK. Alas, the collection doesn’t appear to be available in the Australian iTunes Store.

Following Apple’s open source release of Swift, IBM has put together a little Swift sandbox that lets you run Swift code in your browser. If you want to quickly check out some Swift code or have a little bit of a play, the IBM Swift Sandbox (and included code samples) should be more than enough to get your feet wet.

As far as I can tell, the main differentiator between Infuse and something like Plex is that Infuse doesn’t require a server-component, instead being capable of just being pointed to a folder or device full of media. You also get the ability to collate media stored across a number of devices, which Plex doesn’t really do — and with the just-released Infuse client for the Apple TV, it might be the Plex alternative media collectors were looking for.

Apple World Today claims we’ll be seeing WiGig support in future Macs. The WiGig standard, otherwise known as 802.11ad, is a successor the current AC technology of sorts, providing fast Wi-Fi directly between devices, instead of between Wi-Fi infrastructure and devices.

Dan Moren has a few hope tips on resolving duplicate Calendar entries.

Jason Snell’s iPad Pro wish list includes apps optimised for the larger screen, as well as accessories that provide alternative options to Apple’s first-party keyboard and cover.

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2015/12/tuesday-morning-news081215/

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :cry:

The competition just aren’t as good. Mailbox’s simplicity won out against additional features of apps like Inbox, Outlook or Spark. I guess I’ll just go back to stock Mail.app and live without inbox zero.

I gave this a try over the weekend and if I did anything like copy or download a file while Infuse was playing it’d lose the connection. I haven’t had that issue with Plex. That’s enough for me to not bother with Infuse again. I do like that Infuse plays DTS though, Plex seems limited to Dolby Digital.

This. I’m getting really tired of mail clients becoming abandonware and then being shut down.

Damn, I missed your news articles, benny :+1:

1 Like

I use Carousel extensively as an alternative to iCloud, and it works great - what a pity it will disappear…

I did this. I have started using my iCloud email as my primary address and am forwarding my other addresses to it. Making this change was helped by the recent wind-down of my small business, I no longer need to send from my business-related domains. Plus, I don’t mind the me.com domain, it’s nice and short.