Tuesday Morning News

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2016/10/tuesday-morning-news251016/
simple_large_2xApple has registered new Mac models in something called the Eurasian Economic Commission database. At least three new models will be unveiled on Friday, pointing towards new 13 and 15-inch models of MacBook Pro, as well as what’s rumoured to be a 13-inch MacBook or revamp of the MacBook Air lineup. The consecutive model numbers make things a little less clear, but here’s hoping we’ll see something incredible come Friday.

It’s been about a month since Apple’s last big software release back in September, and Apple has now released iOS 10.1 into the wild. The update contains the much-hyped Portrait mode for the iPhone 7 Plus, which adds a depth-of-field effect via software. If you don’t have the iPhone with two cameras, there are also plenty of improvements in other areas, such as being able to reply effects in Messages.

WatchOS 3.1 also lands today, with the same ability to replay effects in Messages. The update also fixes charging issues for Apple Watch Series 2 owners, although there are also fixes for Force Touch in some apps for all Apple Watch models.

The first update for macOS Sierra comes with the 10.12.1 version number, and one of the biggest features is improved reliability of Auto Unlock with Apple Watch. The update also adds a new Smart Album in Photos for Portrait shots if you’re an iPhone 7 Plus owner, as well as other bug fixes relating to iCloud Desktop and Documents when using Microsoft Office.

Apple’s official press release on the release of the Apple Watch Nike+ says you’ll be able to buy the wearable online and in-store on October 28th. Australia is one of the launch countries, but the bad news is that you’ll only be able to buy the cool perforated Nike bands with the Apple Watch Nike+ — they won’t be available separately.

Yesterday I discovered that using the iPhone 7 in the shower is a thing. On some level it makes sense, given that it’s marketed by Apple as being water-resistant and all, but on the same level it just seems like you’re inviting something bad to happen. But maybe the risk is worth being able to watch Netflix in the shower? Your call.

The most expensive in-app purchase ever has been made with Apple Pay. A 1964 Aston Martin DB5 was purchased at auction for over US $1 million, with Apple Pay being the payment method. I wonder what kind of cut Apple gets on that purchase.

1090 days. That’s how long it’s been since the Mac Pro has been updated, and considering the previous average update length was under half that, we’re now getting into the stage where it’s possible, even likely, that Apple will let the 2013 Mac Pro die quietly.

9to5Mac writes about the 15th anniversary of the original iPod. They say that the device has all but been forgotten by Apple now, even though it will remain in the history books as one of the most iconic gadgets of our time. It changed the way we listen to music, although it was arguably the iPhone and smartphones that made streaming music a thing.

Ars Technica has re-published their review of the original iPod, another five years after it was originally republished. It’s a nice reminder of where Apple has come from.

Have you considered building a Hackintosh?

Ahh the iPod Classic! Back in the late 90’s I had a Sony Discman and a cassette adaptor before I upgraded to a CD Player. When I was traveling to work I used the CD Player for a little while but it could chew through AA batteries like nothing else. Soon I moved to a whopping 256MB Creative Rhomba:

That was a great little player but the storage became very limiting very quickly. In ~2004 I upgraded to a Creative Zen Touch 20GB:

unlike the iPod of the day, it claimed to offer USB storage… something which actually came in a firmware upgrade years later. Being a Windows fan at the time I part of the decision was simply because it wasn’t an Apple.

In 2007 I bought my wife an iPod Nano and in setting that up (on her Mac) I started to like iTunes and started using it to manage my music on Windows. By 2008 I wanted more storage than the old Zen was offering so I upgraded to the shiny new 120GB iPod Classic. All of a sudden I could carry all of my music libraries on one device! Brilliant.

That classic ended up in my wife’s car in 2010 where it lives to this day, although it’s used less and less thanks to Apple Music, bluetooth streaming from the iPhone and decent data limits on mobile. (Occasionally I consider hard wiring the iPhone for better sound, but since it works well enough for my ears and the old style 30 pin connection + separate 3.5mm audio jack the old head unit uses it’s all a very questionable use of my time).
I’ve also got another 160GB Classic in my car, bought new, shoved into the centre console and effectively forgotten about. The same story when it comes to Apple Music making the whole thing less and less useful.

All of that is to say that the iPod Classics were brilliant for their day, but today they really are a bit antiquated.

I’m the same - I have a classic in the car, but it hasn’t been synced with iTunes for over a couple of years - I was just thinking that I should have synced it with El Capitan before upgrading to Sierra - oh well. I have an iPod shuffle that takes me through long plane journeys but that otherwise doesn’t get used.

I bought the 160GB model in 2011 for $268 from DSE. I reckon I could sell it today and get almost all of that back… a nice return on investment :smiley:

One thing about the iPods…

The Softorino company who released Waltr as a means for putting content on iPhones and iPads without needing to use iTunes have recently announced Waltr2 (or W2), which has added iPods to the list of supported devices. W2 will place content in the appropriate Videos, Music and Books Apple apps of any device within Wifi range. Making the management of content this easy might make me resurrect my 160GB iPod Classic.

Currently, W2 is 2 months late so I’m waiting impatiently for it to ship.

1 Like