Wednesday Morning News

image_largeUnless we’re counting an email shown during an iPhone demo at Apple’s September event telling us about the launch date of OS X El Capitan, the only official announcement from Apple regarding the El Capitan release date is their press release which says OS X El Capitan will be released as a free update tomorrow. Apple describes refinements to the Mac experience as changes to Mission Control multitasking, Spotlight searches, as well as Safari and Mail, with improvements to system performance also part of the El Capitan upgrade.

Of course, John Siracusa isn’t doing OS X reviews any more. But Ars Technica ran with a review of OS X El Capitan anyway, looking at both the under-the-hood changes and the user-facing features that make OS X El Capitan the most refined version of OS X yet. And hey, if you’re just looking to make a bootable version of OS X El Cap tomorrow, Ars Technica has you covered there, too.

An update to Apple’s privacy policy now tells you in plain English what Apple are doing with the information they collect. Their updated privacy policy includes how they’re handling your personally-identifying information, what they’re doing to protect it, and everything they’re not doing to make your experience a better one. Apple just blew up the concept of a privacy policy, as TechCrunch puts it.

It should come without saying that there will be new Apple Watch hardware, but the question is: when? Mid-to-late 2016 is the current estimate, by which time you should have well and truly made up your mind about whether the Apple Watch is for you.

Teardowns of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus have revealed two versions of the A9 SoC, one manufactured by Samsung and the other by TSMC. They’re different sizes, don’t appear to be segmented by model, and perhaps most importantly, don’t appear to have any kind of performance impact either way, so this doesn’t seem like that big of a deal to me.

Pixar has tried out Apple’s iPad Pro and Apple Pencil, after Apple brought the devices into Pixar offices for a test run. They said the palm rejection is perfect, which bodes well for using the iPad Pro as a graphics tablet.

Discontinued Apple software has made its way back into the Mac App Store after it was (mistakenly?) removed. MacRumors notes the only app that’s compatible with OS X El Capitan is Aperture.

Macworld staff tell us about whether or not they’re keeping Apple Music around, now that the three-month trial period is over. On that note: if you have an active Apple Music subscription and are an existing Telstra customer, you can get an extra 500MB of data per month. Redemption details for that are right over here.

Daniel Jalkut says Apple’s recent improvements to Siri meant he had to change his interaction with the personal assistant. What was perceived as “broken” compared to the old is now “gloriously fixed”.

The Verge’s review of the iPad mini 4 says that while it’s not truly a mini version of the iPad Air 2, it’s close. Some iOS 9 features, like split-screen multitasking, just don’t work as well on a smaller display like the one on the iPad mini.

Originally published at: http://appletalk.com.au/2015/09/wednesday-morning-news300915/

I tend to keep a copy of the installers for the different OSX installers along with the Combo Updates. It’s a bit of a hold over from the old day where I would hoard everything, but it means that you always have the OS version on hand for that legacy piece of hardware. Handy anyway.

I’m in two minds on El Capitan, clean install vs upgrade. This machine has been through a few upgrades and I wouldn’t mind a clean install… but effort. An upgrade is likely :stuck_out_tongue:

Hooray that Aperture will still work.

Does anyone know what time it’s likely to land in the Australian store? I assume we need to wait until morning on the 30th CA time?

It’s showing for me this morning 6.08GB coming down slowly (it’s bouncing between about 0.5MB/s and 1.5MB/s on a 100MBit line. (which I suppose is to be expected).

Mine is showing an eta of 3hrs & 15mins. It’s sped up a bit since it started 15mins ago.